The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

The UKCAT has slightly changed for this years entry.

Please go to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&p=42446484#post42446484

Good luck!
Reply 301
Original post by frogs r everywhere
The UKCAT has slightly changed for this years entry.

Please go to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&p=42446484#post42446484

Good luck!

Did not know this! Thanks so much!

It seems like most people think it will be harder...I'm actually kind of happy about AR though, it looks more logical and structured than the random 'Guess which one it is'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by kimsiclez

7. Give me an example of when you were put on the spot

reckon saying "right now/just a second ago" would count? :smile: haha, thanks for the advice though!
Reply 303
Original post by tdx
reckon saying "right now/just a second ago" would count? :smile: haha, thanks for the advice though!

Haha I was so tempted to say that actually!
Reply 304
Really not looking forward to the new UKCAT SJT section, I just did a practice test quickly and got 36/75! (Although I really did rush it, had 11 minutes remaining!)
Reply 305
Original post by Kev.1995
Really not looking forward to the new UKCAT SJT section, I just did a practice test quickly and got 36/75! (Although I really did rush it, had 11 minutes remaining!)

I did the mini test and got 7/13, it looks like most people are getting similar results tbh. I wonder what sort of resources are available to help with SJT though?
Reply 306
I did the mini test and got 7/13, it looks like most people are getting similar results tbh. I wonder what sort of resources are available to help with SJT though?

After reviewing the ones I got wrong it seems as if there's a slight tactic, you have to fundamentally think about key principles. Eg, if there's any breach of confidentiality, you always put the big no no. Likewise for patient's best interests, always put the superlative that supports that.
This section is interesting, there really should be a points system when working with things like this.* Anyway, I got 43/71 and had 10 minutes remaining, but I'm going to go through it now. And what about resources for the new AR too?
*Forget what I wrote, just found out that SJT are not marked in the conventional way out of 900 but instead marked in "bands"

Band 1 : Candidates in Band 1 performed exceptionally and well above average, showing similar judgement in most cases to the panel of experts.
Band 2: Candidates in Band 2 performed well and above average, showing appropriate judgement for most questions with many matching model answers
Band 3: The performance of candidates in Band 3 was lower than average with appropriate judgement shown for some questions but significant differences from ideal responses for others.
Band 4: The performance of candidates in Band 4 was low with judgement differing significantly from ideal responses to questions in many cases.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 308
Haha I was so tempted to say that actually!

haha, I would've :') .. quickly followed by a serious answer of course! I'm currently applying for various posts, fingers crossed.
Reply 309
so now we HAVE to do the SJT??? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
or is that meant to be easy?
Im bricking the UKCAT more than ever :frown: Every time i try to apply for medicine something new comes in my path! I can't win :/
Hey all,

Just a heads up that we're currently looking for someone to join the medicine mod team, so if you know someone that you think would be a good candidate for the role, or would like to put yourself forward then please create a thread in the moderator nominations forum which can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=361

Please note that all candidates need to be 18+ and willing to undergo a DBS (CRB) check :smile:

More details can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=195&a=1281 and I shall be happy to answer PMs about the role of application process :smile:
Reply 312
Guys, you see if you do work experience abroad like working at an orphanage say like after you've sent your PS, is there any point of it? Because you'll just have to put in a line or two that you'll be going there and I doubt you be able to go into detail as you've not got the report me yet. So is it worth it? Will it help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DinaRayy
Guys, you see if you do work experience abroad like working at an orphanage say like after you've sent your PS, is there any point of it? Because you'll just have to put in a line or two that you'll be going there and I doubt you be able to go into detail as you've not got the report me yet. So is it worth it? Will it help?

Hey, when I send my PS off, I said I would do x,y and z. I was able to still talk about it at interview, as long as the work experience you've already got, you're able to speak enough about it, it's all okay. You just need enough to get an interview, after that, the floor is yours. Despite this, I got a job as a HCA after I sent off my UCAS, so I wasn't even able to put that into my PS, although at interview I brought it in, and they seemed impressed. So it will still be worth it, but don't do work experience for the sake of doing work experience, do it because you find it interesting and you want too do it and learn from it.
Hey everyone

Got my clinical support worker interview on Thursday and I'm getting nervous! Not really done much in terms of preparing for it :/

Anyone got ANY tips/advice for me at all?!

Also unsure what to wear? I know 'dress smart' obviously but I feel like I only have clothes that aren't smart enough or are too smart...

So yeah any help appreciated :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
Got an interview in two weeks for another Nursing Auxiliary post! Hopefully this time I'll get the job!

Original post by annaridgway95
Hey everyone

Got my clinical support worker interview on Thursday and I'm getting nervous! Not really done much in terms of preparing for it :/

Anyone got ANY tips/advice for me at all?!

Also unsure what to wear? I know 'dress smart' obviously but I feel like I only have clothes that aren't smart enough or are too smart...

So yeah any help appreciated :smile:
Thanks

Good Luck! I'm sure you will do well. As long as you've prepared answers for the expected questions/scenarios and can think of examples of when you have done x, y or z (If asked) then you should be fine!

I'd say just a nice dress and tights or trousers/skirt (reasonable length of course!) and a nice blouse. I ended up wearing work trousers and a white shirt. You can never be 'too formal' for these things (At least that's what I think haha) so don't worry too much. Keep in mind the 'bare below the elbows' rule for hospitals, even though you're probably not expected to because you're not working there yet it would be another thing to show that you're aware of.

How are everyone else's gap year plans coming along? Thread's getting a bit dead now although I expect that's revision kicking in! has anyone booked the dreaded UKCAT yet?
Got an interview in two weeks for another Nursing Auxiliary post! Hopefully this time I'll get the job!

Good Luck! I'm sure you will do well. As long as you've prepared answers for the expected questions/scenarios and can think of examples of when you have done x, y or z (If asked) then you should be fine!

I'd say just a nice dress and tights or trousers/skirt (reasonable length of course!) and a nice blouse. I ended up wearing work trousers and a white shirt. You can never be 'too formal' for these things (At least that's what I think haha) so don't worry too much. Keep in mind the 'bare below the elbows' rule for hospitals, even though you're probably not expected to because you're not working there yet it would be another thing to show that you're aware of.

How are everyone else's gap year plans coming along? Thread's getting a bit dead now although I expect that's revision kicking in! has anyone booked the dreaded UKCAT yet?

Yay congrats! :smile:

And ok, thank you!
How much preparation would you say you did? Feel like I've done nowhere near enough...

And do you think they would ask anything like "what's your biggest achivement?" (Would have no clue what to say!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 317
Original post by annaridgway95
Yay congrats! :smile:

And ok, thank you!
How much preparation would you say you did? Feel like I've done nowhere near enough...

And do you think they would ask anything like "what's your biggest achivement?" (Would have no clue what to say!)

I don't think I did enough last time so I'll definitely be doing more this time. Especially for the questions like 'role of the HCA' and about the ward etc.

I have no idea, if they asked me I would probably say something like getting through the challenge of A Levels successfully or something along those lines. Anything that sounds good I guess! or if you've helped raise a certain amount of money for charity, done anything significant at school, you really could say anything that you feel is important to you!
I don't think I did enough last time so I'll definitely be doing more this time. Especially for the questions like 'role of the HCA' and about the ward etc.

I have no idea, if they asked me I would probably say something like getting through the challenge of A Levels successfully or something along those lines. Anything that sounds good I guess! or if you've helped raise a certain amount of money for charity, done anything significant at school, you really could say anything that you feel is important to you!

Ohh ok, did they ask you about the specific hospital/ward you were interview for then? What kind of questions?

And thanks that's really helpful! Have me some ideas :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 319
well done on your interviews guys :smile: .... i still haven't recieved an interview yet but i have a pre-interview test tomorrow and was wondering if i could advice on what to wear ? i honestly have no clue :redface: its in a lecture theatre so idk smart or smart casual (jeans and a blouse) - i really want to dress smart cas but am worried incase i come across 'not bothered'
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending