The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL AQA AS Philosophy May 2013 Exams Thread. (Units 1&2)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noor momo
Deductive arguments refer to a type of reasoning where if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. For example: all men are mortal, socrates is a man. therefore Socrates is mortal. you cannot accept the two premises but deny the conclusion. Hume categorises deductive arguments as relation of ideas.

inductive arguments, however, refers to a type of reasoning that is based on the idea that things we have not yet experienced will resemble what we have experienced. we generalise from many instances to make conclusions about instances we have not experienced. to illustrate, if every time you have boiled water, it has boiled at 100 degrees, then inductively you would conclude that all water boils at 100 degree. Hume categorises inductive arguments as matters of facts.

I don't think that everything :/

outline and illustrate one argument in support of Innate Knowledge. (15marks)

Reason and Experience can be so annoying! :P I need to give my brain a rest now. XD
Original post by PaulyRivs
Reason and Experience can be so annoying! :P I need to give my brain a rest now. XD

Tell me about it :angry: The topics are not that bad, but when it comes to putting it on paper it all gets confusing
Original post by noor momo
Tell me about it :angry: The topics are not that bad, but when it comes to putting it on paper it all gets confusing

The topics are alright... Just the amount of information required to get a good mark. Urghhhhh. -.-
Reply 123
This Q&A game has helped me to understand some of the aspect of R&E better, thanks guys haha! I still find the topic ridiculously hard as a whole though, I'm fine with my other 3 now so it's just this one that's dragging me down, anyone got any predictions for what might come up?
Original post by NiallD
This Q&A game has helped me to understand some of the aspect of R&E better, thanks guys haha! I still find the topic ridiculously hard as a whole though, I'm fine with my other 3 now so it's just this one that's dragging me down, anyone got any predictions for what might come up?

My teacher believes that a 15 mark question comparing the difference between inductive and deductive will come up, along with a 30 mark question relating to Conceptual Schemes.
Reply 125
Inductive and Deductive 15 marker wouldn't be too hard, conceptual schemes would be a nightmare though! I saw someone on get revising saying they think something about ideas vs impressions will come up, can anyone help explain that to me as I really don't get it atm :tongue:
Reply 126
Does anyone know if there's a Buddhism thread (OCR)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiallD
Inductive and Deductive 15 marker wouldn't be too hard, conceptual schemes would be a nightmare though! I saw someone on get revising saying they think something about ideas vs impressions will come up, can anyone help explain that to me as I really don't get it atm :tongue:

David Hume argues that impressions are the sensations we get through sense experience. Ideas are thoughts we get from these impressions. Impressions is the actual experience and then ideas are memories of the experience. David Hume believes that impressions are far more powerful than the ideas we get from the experience we have had. "The most lively thought is still inferior to the dullest sensation”.

Any ideas on what to use to answer a deductive and inductive comparison question?
I know this isnt in reply to the question but I thought it would be silly to start a new thread :smile:

This is going to sound pretty stupid but can any one give me the basic outline for a 30 mark essay question?
my teachers great at explaining the content but not at the essay writing and im doing really badly in the essays simply as i dont know how to structure them.

PLEASE HELP!!?? :frown:

id be really greatful for ANY reply to help me!
Reply 129
Original post by Future_vet
I know this isnt in reply to the question but I thought it would be silly to start a new thread :smile:

This is going to sound pretty stupid but can any one give me the basic outline for a 30 mark essay question?
my teachers great at explaining the content but not at the essay writing and im doing really badly in the essays simply as i dont know how to structure them.

PLEASE HELP!!?? :frown:

id be really greatful for ANY reply to help me!

When it comes to a 30 mark essay it is necessary for you to start with an introduction that is about 1/4 - 1/3 of a page long, in the introduction you should outline what the question is referring to, and mention philosophers who are on both sides (for and against) the stated view or claim. At the end of the intro you should state which side of the view you are for.

Then you should have a main body of your essay that is about 2 & 1/2 sides long, which should consist of arguments for and against the view in the question, it is better to talk a lot about Fewer things than it is to talk about many things but in less detail. Through out the main body you should be personally analysing what the view are, not just stating them.

Then a 1/4 - 1/3 of a page conclusion summing up everything then reiterating your side of the argument and WHY this is your side.

In all it should be about 3 sides long.

Hope this Helps! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Does anyone have any idea of what the 15 & 30 mark questions are going to be for:

-God and the World
-Tolerance
Original post by the A* guy
When it comes to a 30 mark essay it is necessary for you to start with an introduction that is about 1/4 - 1/3 of a page long, in the introduction you should outline what the question is referring to, and mention philosophers who are on both sides (for and against) the stated view or claim. At the end of the intro you should state which side of the view you are for.

Then you should have a main body of your essay that is about 2 & 1/2 sides long, which should consist of arguments for and against the view in the question, it is better to talk a lot about Fewer things than it is to talk about many things but in less detail. Through out the main body you should be personally analysing what the view are, not just stating them.

Then a 1/4 - 1/3 of a page conclusion summing up everything then reiterating your side of the argument and WHY this is your side.

THANKYOU!! I think you may have saved me from getting a U :tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I found this extremely helpful! So, essentially, for the introduction I should state the basic concept of the question. I.e. Explain and illustrate the view that we are born into a Tabula Rasa. I would need to explain what a Tabula Rasa is and the other different views that argue against this. For the middle part, I talk about Philosophers arguments for and against this statement and arguments for and against the view. Finally, I summarise what I have talked about and then conclude from my own opinion which side I follow and why. Does that sound like a good plan for a 30 mark question?
Also, can someone explain the difference between Power and Authority with relation to a 15 mark question on Why Should I Be Governed?
Reply 134

2 and a half pages in half an hour to me seems unreasonable, there's no way I could write that much. That said, I do have small handwriting and get extra time, but I still think the most I could write would be a bout a page and a half - will I get penalised for only writing that much?
Original post by mohamed68
Does anyone have any idea of what the 15 & 30 mark questions are going to be for:

-God and the World
-Tolerance

For God and the world i think its impossible to predict, as all three topics are juicy topics which they can ask varies questions on.
Reply 136
Original post by NiallD
2 and a half pages in half an hour to me seems unreasonable, there's no way I could write that much. That said, I do have small handwriting and get extra time, but I still think the most I could write would be a bout a page and a half - will I get penalised for only writing that much?

I totally agree that there is a lack of time to write a long essay, however that is what aqa expect. You should really try for 2 1/2 sides, but since you have small handwriting you could probably get away with a very well written essay of 2 sides.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by NiallD

I totally agree that there is a lack of time to write a long essay, however that is what aqa expect. You should really try for 2 1/2 sides, but since you have small handwriting you could probably get away with a very well written essay of 2 sides.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? :eek: I tend to write about 5 sides for 30 markers, although I do write quite fast and large, I average about a side every 6 minutes, then again I do always find it odd when I have to ask for extra paper and nobody else does. :s-smilie:
Does anyone have any counter arguments for kants conceptual schemes that support empiricism
Reply 139
Original post by Hugh_devlin
Does anyone have any counter arguments for kants conceptual schemes that support empiricism

- Hume explained the concept of causation as us seeing two events occurring together again and again until we believe them to have a causal relationship. So causation is an a posteriori, empirically-gained concept for him.

- Sapir-Whorf: Hopi Indians have a different concept of time than we do. Time might thus be an empirically gained concept, and this paves the path for the empiricist to argue that other concepts are also derived from experience of the world. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending