The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

According to The Times live feed, Scholes and Giggs will form part of David Moyes's coaching staff.
Reply 3581
Original post by Akkuz
I appreciate that Moyes doesn't have a wealth of European experience or trophies, but his record since coming to Everton has been nothing short of incredible.

2002-03 7th
2003-04 17th
2004-05 4th
2005-06 11th
2006-07 6th
2007-08 5th
2008-09 5th
2009-10 8th
2010-11 7th
2011-12 7th

With very little money (compared to other clubs).

He is a cracking manager but what he is exceptional at doesn't apply to United as much. We have a decent budget and if we really need a player can afford him, you have teams like Bayern replacing their era with people like Guardiola and we are apparently going to replace Fergie with.. Moyes. I was thinking personally we need someone with experience of title fights, big occasions, media pressure and going deep into Europe.

I honestly don't think going for the 'same' is the right move, no one can replace Fergie at what he does and IMO someone who tries is going to fail because of the comparisons, we are now in an era where managers don't typically stay more than 5 years and appointing someone on the basis they will stay for a decade is foolish because life happens and things change.
Original post by Zürich
Its impossible to improve on Fergie imo. Utd fans have been used to winning title almost every single year but that's not a normal state of affairs. Fergie's left a very strong base but its the end of an era in truth.

It's the end of an era, but that doesn't mean to say it's the end of United's success. The size of the fanbase internationally, the ludicrous revenue and the standing of the club in world sport means our position is all but guaranteed. Whatever needs to happen to keep us in the top mix every year will happen, I don't think we'll keep winning it all the time but we'll still have more title wins and challenges.

My biggest worry is Ferguson becoming a director. I hope David Moyes (if it is him) isn't being brought in to be the puppet for Alex. We had this fiasco after Matt Busby retired where the next couple of managers were never really in charge because they were pushed into doing everything Matt wanted. Its not healthy ... if we must have a new manager then he must have full control over the running of the team.
Very sad day...
Original post by Akkuz
I appreciate that Moyes doesn't have a wealth of European experience or trophies, but his record since coming to Everton has been nothing short of incredible.

2002-03 7th
2003-04 17th
2004-05 4th
2005-06 11th
2006-07 6th
2007-08 5th
2008-09 5th
2009-10 8th
2010-11 7th
2011-12 7th

With very little money (compared to other clubs).

He's great at what he does, there's no question about that, but what he does and what we do are two remarkably different things. Our aims at United is not a stable top half finish with the odd European qualification, even placing top four every year would be seen as a failure at United. The club's history is founded on success. There's no guarantee that any new manager will win things I know, there was never any guarantee of it under Ferguson or Busby either, but we have to be responsible and appoint a manager that gives us the best chance of success.
Original post by IanDangerously
It's the end of an era, but that doesn't mean to say it's the end of United's success. The size of the fanbase internationally, the ludicrous revenue and the standing of the club in world sport means our position is all but guaranteed. Whatever needs to happen to keep us in the top mix every year will happen, I don't think we'll keep winning it all the time but we'll still have more title wins and challenges.

My biggest worry is Ferguson becoming a director. I hope David Moyes (if it is him) isn't being brought in to be the puppet for Alex. We had this fiasco after Matt Busby retired where the next couple of managers were never really in charge because they were pushed into doing everything Matt wanted. Its not healthy ... if we must have a new manager then he must have full control over the running of the team.

Utd will always have the money and prestige to bring in top players but that's not the full story. Chelsea/City have regularly had better players than Utd over the last decade but they havent won half as much what Fergie has won. That drive and hunger that he brought to the table is what made Utd what they are so its daunting for Utd.

Fergie has left a legacy so that youll always always be in the mix, but without Fergie you're no longer guarenteed titles
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by justinawe

1 quarter-finalist in 2 years

Mourinho's been gone 6 years.
Original post by KissMyArsene
Mourinho's been gone 6 years.

Which doesn't mean anything... we're looking at the current state/level of teams in the PL.
Reply 3588
Original post by Idle
He is a cracking manager but what he is exceptional at doesn't apply to United as much. We have a decent budget and if we really need a player can afford him, you have teams like Bayern replacing their era with people like Guardiola and we are apparently going to replace Fergie with.. Moyes. I was thinking personally we need someone with experience of title fights, big occasions, media pressure and going deep into Europe.

I honestly don't think going for the 'same' is the right move, no one can replace Fergie at what he does and IMO someone who tries is going to fail because of the comparisons, we are now in an era where managers don't typically stay more than 5 years and appointing someone on the basis they will stay for a decade is foolish because life happens and things change.

Original post by IanDangerously
He's great at what he does, there's no question about that, but what he does and what we do are two remarkably different things. Our aims at United is not a stable top half finish with the odd European qualification, even placing top four every year would be seen as a failure at United. The club's history is founded on success. There's no guarantee that any new manager will win things I know, there was never any guarantee of it under Ferguson or Busby either, but we have to be responsible and appoint a manager that gives us the best chance of success.

I don't disagree with both of you but at the moment it looks like Moyes is coming in and I'm trying to rationalise the decision. Indeed he isn't the 100% ideal choice but his record with limited resources is very impressive.

My only reservation is that I think he lacks that little bit of sparkle in his personality.

Anyhu, merely speculation for now.
Going to be such a anti climax if we play **** v Swansea.
Which doesn't mean anything... we're looking at the current state/level of teams in the PL.

You're the one who started talking about CL football!!!!!!!!!

The premiership is completely different to the CL and the premiership is a more closely contested competition now than it was when Mourinho arrived at Chelsea. Man City's Billionaire investment alone has made it more competative let alone Spurs and Everton joining Liverpool.
You're the one who started talking about CL football!!!!!!!!!

The premiership is completely different to the CL and the premiership is a more closely contested competition now than it was when Mourinho arrived at Chelsea. Man City's Billionaire investment alone has made it more competative let alone Spurs joining Everton and Liverpool.

Yes, I did... I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you're trying to say :redface:

I used the CL to demonstrate the fact that the top English clubs aren't as good as they used to be. Everton and Liverpool aren't really serious contenders for anything anymore.

Honestly, who can seriously compete for the title, other than the two manchester clubs and Chelsea? Arsenal and Tottenham will be up there, but come the end of the season they won't really be anywhere near the top.
Truly devastated. Someone likened his departure to the 'death of a family member'. Ever since I've supported United I've always thought SAF would manage forever.
Yes, I did... I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you're trying to say :redface:

I used the CL to demonstrate the fact that the top English clubs aren't as good as they used to be. Everton and Liverpool aren't really serious contenders for anything anymore.

Honestly, who can seriously compete for the title, other than the two manchester clubs and Chelsea? Arsenal and Tottenham will be up there, but come the end of the season they won't really be anywhere near the top.

The teams I now think will be competing at the end of the 2013/2014 season are controversial and best left unsaid in a Man Utd thread :eek:
Original post by Tommyjw
Going to be such a anti climax if we play **** v Swansea.

You'll probably beat them 4-0 or 5-0, given how it's Fergies last game at OT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Have I missed something? Earlier today, when the news first broke, someone on either $ky or BBC mentioned it was the end of the era with SAF, Scholes and Fletcher retiring. No mention was made of it being "likely" that they will retire. It was stated as fact.

As far as I'm aware no announcement has been made for either Scholes or Fletcher, especially not Fletcher.

The premiership is completely different to the CL and the premiership is a more closely contested competition now than it was when Mourinho arrived at Chelsea.

Really? Back in 2002 - 2004 there was Manchester United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool competing for the top four (and perhaps the title - even if United and Arsenal were the only realistic challengers).

During Mourinho's years it could be said that Newcastle were replaced by Everton (even if Everton only finished in the top four once and never progressed to the CL proper).

Now there's no Newcastle (last season being the exception) or Liverpool, but there is now Spurs and City. Everton and Liverpool are not realistic contenders for the top four yet, let alone title.

Apart from City's new money I'd say it's much the same. Around five teams going for the CL spots, and realistically only two or, at most three, title challengers.
Good luck to David Moyes.
Reply 3598
Tribute by Juventus to SAF http://www.juventus.com/juve/en/news/ferguson_news_eng_

Class.

Nice quote from SAF - “Juventus were an example for my Manchester United. I had my players watch videos of Lippi’s team and would say, ‘Don’t look at the tactics or technique, we have that too, you need to learn to have that desire to win.’”
(edited 10 years ago)
Andersons uploaded a few pictures on instagram , seems sad lol
http://instagram.com/andowlove

One black picture just saying 'bad day' and a few of him and SAF

Latest