The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akkuz
Tribute by Juventus to SAF http://www.juventus.com/juve/en/news/ferguson_news_eng_

Class.

Nice quote from SAF - “Juventus were an example for my Manchester United. I had my players watch videos of Lippi’s team and would say, ‘Don’t look at the tactics or technique, we have that too, you need to learn to have that desire to win.’”

Lovely article, great that so many football fanatics can acknowledge the sheer brilliance of SAF.
Original post by River85
Have I missed something? Earlier today, when the news first broke, someone on either $ky or BBC mentioned it was the end of the era with SAF, Scholes and Fletcher retiring. No mention was made of it being "likely" that they will retire. It was stated as fact.

As far as I'm aware no announcement has been made for either Scholes or Fletcher, especially not Fletcher.

Really? Back in 2002 - 2004 there was Manchester United, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool competing for the top four (and perhaps the title - even if United and Arsenal were the only realistic challengers).

During Mourinho's years it could be said that Newcastle were replaced by Everton (even if Everton only finished in the top four once and never progressed to the CL proper).

Now there's no Newcastle (last season being the exception) or Liverpool, but there is now Spurs and City. Everton and Liverpool are not realistic contenders for the top four yet, let alone title.

Apart from City's new money I'd say it's much the same. Around five teams going for the CL spots, and realistically only two or, at most three, title challengers.

I've not gone back to look at the old tables but from what I can remember it was Arsenal Man Utd and some gap to the rest for a good few years, then Abramovich came along and it was Arsenal Man Utd Chelsea, then Man City came along and it was Man City Man Utd Chelsea and in all 3 eras there were the Evertons Liverpools Newcastles in amongst it. Next season however I think the big 3 will become the big 4 and potentially big 5. Mancini will want his title back, Mourinho will want a good start at Chelsea, how well Moyes will do is obviously debatable but needless to say he'll at least keep you guys up there, Wenger finally has considerable money to spend and AVB has potential. Zee title race next year is gonna be brilliant...and close.
Original post by diggy
It's never gonna be mourinho with a £74 m buy out clause that even Roman won't pay as well as Charlton stating it won't be mourinho previously

As has been said quite few times, the atmosphere at Madrid is pretty toxic, Jose only last week took a direct swipe as Casillas which even Pepe condemned, and Jose took a public swipe back. He's running out of loyal players pretty quickly. There has been talk of dismissing him before the end of the season. His last conference was almost a veiled threat that if he wasn't dismissed and hence paid he would stay on at Madrid, which would pretty much tear the club apart at the rate things are going. His buyout is about £20m anyway nowhere near £74m.

I agree with what was said about Moyes although his record of place finishes is certainly impressive his experience of the sharp end is minimal. His record against the top sides over the years isn't particular great either. As Ian said, he's great at what he does but that not what United do, United spend big, play the biggest sides in Europe and expect to win.
Reply 3603
Original post by doggyfizzel
As has been said quite few times, the atmosphere at Madrid is pretty toxic, Jose only last week took a direct swipe as Casillas which even Pepe condemned, and Jose took a public swipe back. He's running out of loyal players pretty quickly. There has been talk of dismissing him before the end of the season. His last conference was almost a veiled threat that if he wasn't dismissed and hence paid he would stay on at Madrid, which would pretty much tear the club apart at the rate things are going. His buyout is about £20m anyway nowhere near £74m.

I agree with what was said about Moyes although his record of place finishes is certainly impressive his experience of the sharp end is minimal. His record against the top sides over the years isn't particular great either. As Ian said, he's great at what he does but that not what United do, United spend big, play the biggest sides in Europe and expect to win.

his buyout clause is 10mill lol where do some of you lot get these figues. The problem is if madrid sack him they gotta pay him 10mill compensation whereas if chelsea take him they pay 10mill. It would all be so much easier if he just quit but hes be a stubborn p**** atm
Original post by yaboy
his buyout clause is 10mill lol where do some of you lot get these figues. The problem is if madrid sack him they gotta pay him 10mill compensation whereas if chelsea take him they pay 10mill. It would all be so much easier if he just quit but hes be a stubborn p**** atm
Its meant to be Euros not pounds. Which is the figure I seen quoted by most places.
Original post by KissMyArsene
I've not gone back to look at the old tables but from what I can remember it was Arsenal Man Utd and some gap to the rest for a good few years, then Abramovich came along and it was Arsenal Man Utd Chelsea, then Man City came along and it was Man City Man Utd Chelsea and in all 3 eras there were the Evertons Liverpools Newcastles in amongst it. Next season however I think the big 3 will become the big 4 and potentially big 5. Mancini will want his title back, Mourinho will want a good start at Chelsea, how well Moyes will do is obviously debatable but needless to say he'll at least keep you guys up there, Wenger finally has considerable money to spend and AVB has potential. Zee title race next year is gonna be brilliant...and close.

United and Arsenal were obviously the best two teams in the league but I don't remember there being that much of a gap in terms of points. In 1999 Chelsea had a really long unbeaten run and were very close to winning the league, next couple of seasons United were miles ahead but there wasn't much between Arsenal and Leeds/Liverpool. Then Liverpool finished above us in 2002 and even Ipswich were only a few points off 2nd one year.
Wonder if Moyes will bring Fellaini with him.. could be a good option alongside Carrick if we give him a ball winning role and not specifically an attacking one
Considering SAF's eye for talent, I think he's well placed to pick his own successor. He'll have watched Moyes (if that is who he has a chosen) for over a decade and obviously thinks his attributes will easily sit at a bigger club.

For me the most impressive thing about Moyes is the loyalty his players give to him. A number of players have been great under him but very few have deserted him.

He's also got an eye for talent and also knows how to use resources effectively.
So sad, all these times I've hated him because I'm a Chelsea fan but now there's nothing but love. End of an era for English football.
Original post by Tommyjw
Wonder if Moyes will bring Fellaini with him.. could be a good option alongside Carrick if we give him a ball winning role and not specifically an attacking one

How about if he bought Baines with him too? Give him a year to bed in and then you could let Evra go next summer.
Original post by sr90
United and Arsenal were obviously the best two teams in the league but I don't remember there being that much of a gap in terms of points. In 1999 Chelsea had a really long unbeaten run and were very close to winning the league, next couple of seasons United were miles ahead but there wasn't much between Arsenal and Leeds/Liverpool. Then Liverpool finished above us in 2002 and even Ipswich were only a few points off 2nd one year.

2000 - 2001 when they finished fifth with 66 points. Only four points off Arsenal. They were closer to second place Arsenal than they were to Chelsea in sixth.

They then got relegated the following season.
Original post by Zerforax
How about if he bought Baines with him too? Give him a year to bed in and then you could let Evra go next summer.

Would be interesting.

Better than Evra but isn't a whole lot younger, and Evra is a great servant to the club and previous captain. Can't say i want to just chuck Evra out immediately but at the same time there is no point buying a player like Baines and having him bed in really..

Evra has had a decent year, so i'll probably think different when he'll probably repeat last year in the coming season
I still do believe that SAF will play a major role behind the scenes in helping the next manager and setting him up for a long successful run.
This does seem very unexpected and abrupt though as it was only 5 days ago where Phil Jones was saying on Football Focus that he can't wait to play under him for many more years.
Original post by Tommyjw
Would be interesting.

Better than Evra but isn't a whole lot younger, and Evra is a great servant to the club and previous captain. Can't say i want to just chuck Evra out immediately but at the same time there is no point buying a player like Baines and having him bed in really..

Evra has had a decent year, so i'll probably think different when he'll probably repeat last year in the coming season

True.. Evra is 3 and a half years older which isn't actually that much. Thought Baines was a year or two younger than he actually is.

His contract runs until 2015 too so I guess he wouldn't be especially cheap either.
Reply 3614
Im going to stick my neck out and say that evra has been Manchester uniteds best left back of the ferguson era, no need to get rid of him, has been a stand out performer this year (following 2 poor seasons). Michael cox wrote a piece today on Manchester united's best 11 under ferguson, cant find the article now though....

i hope there is more chance of rooney staying now, my favourite player.
Original post by Tommyjw
Would be interesting.

True.. Evra is 3 and a half years older which isn't actually that much. Thought Baines was a year or two younger than he actually is.

His contract runs until 2015 too so I guess he wouldn't be especially cheap either.
Its a sad day , very sad . Nobody will ever replicate fergies success or his legacy however we have to put someone in place a good , experienced manager. I don't know whether Moyes is that man, but it will almost certainly be him. We are a bigger club than Everton and I don't know whether he will handle it but he will get my backing 100% . Every single one us loves Alex Ferguson
Think some United fans underestimate SAF's influence on the team. Do you really think you'd have cruised to the title this season without him? He instilled that winning mentality into the team and he made the players give that extra 10%. It's definitely the end of an era, you won't be guaranteed a trophy each season now, if Moyes comes in there will be a lot of pressure on him to do what SAF has done, which is close to impossible. I think the news today is good for English football in general, as it lessens the gap between United and the other big teams. Next season will be extremely interesting, Chelsea, City and United will definitely challenge, and possibly Arsenal if we sign a few top players and Spurs if they keep hold of Bale and make a few additions.
Been in a state of shock all day tbh.. Found out during a morning lecture that Sir Alex has decided to retire.. What a great man and manager, will always remember him for all the memories he has provided.

Not a big fan of Moyes coming in tbh. I'm not a fan for anyone to come in really but his record against the top four is poor. How is he going to match up to the likes of Bayern, Barca, Madrid? Would rather have Mourinho come in for a couple of years before someone takes the club for the long term. It's worrying to see how heavily favored he is for the job. Will Moyes be able to attract the big names to United? Somehow i don't think so.

Original post by Brainiac
Im going to stick my neck out and say that evra has been Manchester uniteds best left back of the ferguson era, no need to get rid of him, has been a stand out performer this year (following 2 poor seasons). Michael cox wrote a piece today on Manchester united's best 11 under ferguson, cant find the article now though....

i hope there is more chance of rooney staying now, my favourite player.

Best left back of Ferguson era has to be Denis Irwin. Even towards the end of his career, he was crucial to the treble winning season. If anything the chances of Rooney staying are significantly lower, Moyes and Rooney hardly get along do they? Being a new manager at United, you will want to put your foot down and he may be sold to prove a point.
Giggs and Scholes to take over as a two man management team? :cool:

Latest