The Student Room Group

AQA Unit 1 Predictions 13th May

Personally I think either something to do with the environment, smoking, buffer stocks or a commodity will come up.

Most likely - buffer stocks and a commodity, perhaps gold.

This is really all I am revising so they better!

What markets do you think will come up?

This thread should be purely discussing predictions please!

Scroll to see replies

perhaps alcohol.

I'm hoping either demerit goods/buffer stocks comes up.
Reply 2
Original post by help-me333
perhaps alcohol.

I'm hoping either demerit goods/buffer stocks comes up.

Demerit goods were in Jan 2013 weren't they? So they won't come up unfortunately :frown:
Original post by SimpleTom
Demerit goods were in Jan 2013 weren't they? So they won't come up unfortunately :frown:

really? in what context? haven't had a chance to see the paper. When did buffer stocks last come up?
Reply 4
Original post by help-me333
really? in what context? haven't had a chance to see the paper. When did buffer stocks last come up?

Jun 11 i think, Jan 13 had stuff about fast food causing obesity - a demerit good.
Indeed, I did January 2013.

Context 1: Obesity, unhealthy eating
Context 2: Something about roads, motorways..

I'd put my money on agriculture related. Or something TOTALLY new.
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Indeed, I did January 2013.

Context 1: Obesity, unhealthy eating
Context 2: Something about roads, motorways..

I'd put my money on agriculture related. Or something TOTALLY new.

hmm, jan 12 had a weird question on speed cameras, something like that could come up.

i'm hoping for a agriculture/buffer stocks question though. That would be perfect.
Do you think it'd be a good idea to write 'An evaluation point is...' Or is that too obvious? Surely if you make it clear to the examinar he can't deny you the marks
Original post by Alex-Torres
Do you think it'd be a good idea to write 'An evaluation point is...' Or is that too obvious? Surely if you make it clear to the examinar he can't deny you the marks

No, no way. Using prompts such as however/this is based on the assumption/on the other hand...all those sorta prompts should give you sophisticated evaluation marks
Reply 9
Original post by Alex-Torres

My teacher told me never to do that. And sh marks the exams!
alcohol consumption as a demerit good
Original post by VintageJunkie
alcohol consumption as a demerit good

that's what I was hoping for, something to do with a min price on alcohol or something. but these guys say it came up last year.
Reply 12
I would put money on a question about public goods coming up... There hasn't been one for some time!
If the question is on public goods I anticipate it to be something about police criminal investigation as there is a lot of data they can use in regards to the topic from about 12 months ago when the paper will have been written.

If anyone would like a practice question on this topic I imagine they will ask something on the lines of this...

*Quote from extract*
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the economic case for and against whether police criminal investigation should be provided by the government or the free market.
Reply 13
Original post by Frannyjw
I would put money on a question about public goods coming up... There hasn't been one for some time!
If the question is on public goods I anticipate it to be something about police criminal investigation as there is a lot of data they can use in regards to the topic from about 12 months ago when the paper will have been written.

If anyone would like a practice question on this topic I imagine they will ask something on the lines of this...

*Quote from extract*
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the economic case for and against whether police criminal investigation should be provided by the government or the free market.

Thats sounds sensible - you could talk about whether policing is a public good - competitiveness of private security firms, etc, economies of scale of the police force. Good shout my friend!
Reply 14
Working by my teachers guide of AQA repeating questions every 4 years-ish... June 2009 was very similar to January 2013 (negative externalities, alcohol consumption/negative externalities, processed food consumption) - don't know what the other two contexts where for either. So, maybe Mondays exam will be similar to January 2010 - Agriculture (case for/against allowing market forces to determine prices) or Rail Travel (case for/against subsidies).
Reply 15
Could someone give me a brief paragraph for these two policies on stabilising prices of wheat or in general; subsidies and minimum price?
sorry for sort of going off topic
Reply 16
Original post by SimpleTom
Thats sounds sensible - you could talk about whether policing is a public good - competitiveness of private security firms, etc, economies of scale of the police force. Good shout my friend!

I was thinking the exact same along with talking about if it were left up to the free market who would pay for the service and would people just refuse to pay for it causing insufficient demand meaning there wouldn't be a market for it. However the police would need to hire a detective team meaning the government would end up paying for it causing the free rider effect. If it were left up to the government you could talk about taxation and how if it were left to the government it could be efficiently supplied and payed for though taxation.
Reply 17
Original post by Joe4567
Could someone give me a brief paragraph for these two policies on stabilising prices of wheat or in general; subsidies and minimum price?
sorry for sort of going off topic

It would be hard to explain without the aid of a diagram. I strongly recommend you watch some of 'paj holdens' videos on YouTube, he has helped me a lot through my revision period, he explains clearly the different aspects of economics for micro and macro. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NykcR3RhyR4 - here is a link to his video explaining subsidies. He doesn't currently have a video explaining minimum pricing but that's pretty easy to explain... If you draw a simple demand, supply diagram with an equilibrium price where the two curves cross. If you then draw a line ABOVE THE EQUILIBRIUM PRICE from the price axis along to the demand curve and label it Pmin that would be the minimum price set by government. The ultimate goal of setting a minimum price is to reduce demand that's why it must be set above the equilibrium price. As the price has now been risen less people can afford the good or service this is why when you follow the line you have drawn down from Pmin to where it meets the demand curve to the Quantity of wheat axis, Quantity has reduced from the initial equilibrium quantity which should be labeled Q*. If you then follow the line you have drawn from Pmin to the demand curve along to the supply curve and then down. If you label the point where Pmin crosses D as A and the point it crosses S as B you can then say producers want to supply at point B however the Min price has lead to a reduction in demand thus meaning they can only sell a quantity of up to point A. The gap between A and B resembles the 'excess supply' and you could mention how the min price has lead to an excess supply of wheat.
Original post by beccarose
Working by my teachers guide of AQA repeating questions every 4 years-ish... June 2009 was very similar to January 2013 (negative externalities, alcohol consumption/negative externalities, processed food consumption) - don't know what the other two contexts where for either. So, maybe Mondays exam will be similar to January 2010 - Agriculture (case for/against allowing market forces to determine prices) or Rail Travel (case for/against subsidies).

that makes a lot of sense, when i was looking for patterns in the past questions i also noticed these similarities :smile:
Reply 19
Reading through I'm hoping something simple that could be shown through a supply and demand diagram for the 25 mark question as I am very weak at the diagrams showing social cost, private cost etc. what do you think the changes of this coming up is? And how would you recommend to revise? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest