The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

does anyone just feel the time is impossible? especially considering we'll need a good few minutes to work out what the questions are and get our bearings.. i just feel like it'll be a right tight squeeze getting the last essay near finished.
Blocks to development most likely to come do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackoGeddes
does anyone just feel the time is impossible? especially considering we'll need a good few minutes to work out what the questions are and get our bearings.. i just feel like it'll be a right tight squeeze getting the last essay near finished.

It really depends on the how prepared you are but I feel like in MS they should at least give you 25 mins, ideally 30 mins.

Just write as fast as you can and bring a few spare pens!
Original post by xoJennyox
Thanks so much. I totally forgot about the legal system and the executions. I will put that in my essay too :smile:. I just hope it is one of those questions that focuses on the social and economic side.

Have you tried one of those questions that asks for politics, economics and social stuff to be discussed :s-smilie:?

Good luck tomorrow.

I've not tried one properly but I was looking at it and I think you would talk about the social and economic reforms then say however... Chinese citizens are becoming increasingly rights conscious etc... (and anything which suggests opposition is on the rise, as it highlights how there is still a need for political reform despite the reforms)

And thank you! Good luck as well
Is that not still a devolution question? I thought that there was only really one type even though the wording will be different.

well no if you consider marking schemes, impact of devolution is more about the new structure of decision making (LAs, MSPs, impact of AMS and some devolved reserved)

but a question saying something about important decisions being made in Holyrood would be a different question, at least in my opinion and the opinion of a teacher who marks for SQA

but it's up to you really, just saying you might want to prepare something like that haha
Original post by cheshington
well no if you consider marking schemes, impact of devolution is more about the new structure of decision making (LAs, MSPs, impact of AMS and some devolved reserved)

but a question saying something about important decisions being made in Holyrood would be a different question, at least in my opinion and the opinion of a teacher who marks for SQA

but it's up to you really, just saying you might want to prepare something like that haha

Thanks for pointing that out to me. That is one extra essay to do but at least I will be more prepared. Thanks again :smile:.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. That is one extra essay to do but at least I will be more prepared. Thanks again :smile:.

no problem! pretty simple essay to learn anyway, just basically comparing decisions made at both governments and sort of coming to some conclusion over where the most important ones are made
Original post by cheshington
no problem! pretty simple essay to learn anyway, just basically comparing decisions made at both governments and sort of coming to some conclusion over where the most important ones are made

any help on how you would set out the essay?
How long are your essays, normally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like crying.
Anyone got any predictions for the DME ? From teachers or inside sources? :wink:
It would be funny if voting behaviour came up tomorrow and not voting systems :P
Original post by JessicaLee123
any help on how you would set out the essay?

personally I usually have two paragraphs each comparing decisions

so for example
1) tuition fees being removed in Scotland (shows Scotland making an important decision while UK ups fees) then balanced by talking about trident (Scotland were against but Westminster renewed so shows they make important decisions)
2) introduction of smoking ban in 2006 (Scotland initially introduced this and so could follow its own ideals before the rest of the UK) balanced with the closure of coastguard centres across Scotland (Salmond and Labour both heavily against but was implemented anyway)

then I would talk about finance
3) Westminster decides Scotland's annual budget, barnett formula etc. but Scotland has some power (can vary income tax and decides how budget is allocated (as was demonstrated when they removed tuition fees) and calman comission)

then come to some form of conclusion. hope that helps, might not make any sense!
Reply 1293
Original post by 2013exams
It would be funny if voting behaviour came up tomorrow and not voting systems :P

I would probably start crying into my exam paper.
Well I highly doubt voting behaviour would come up but who knows :biggrin:
Reply 1295
Original post by 2013exams

I would honestly have to skip it if it did, that is how unprepared I am... Saying that though, I did miss out an essay in my prelim (bloody time limits) and still managed to get a B!

I've honestly never wanted an exam to be over and done with as much as this one...
Reply 1296
What do you guys think the likelihood of EM political progress (turnout, registration, representation etc) in the USA coming up is? I'm trying to figure out how much time I should give revising it.
Original post by fjords
What do you guys think the likelihood of EM political progress (turnout, registration, representation etc) in the USA coming up is? I'm trying to figure out how much time I should give revising it.

learn ethnic minority influence on vote + american dream which are more likely, if political progress comes up sub the political side of AD intoday the influence and you'll have a progress essay.
Reply 1298
Original post by Jennamckinleyx
For china it's most likely going to be social and economic reforms/inequalities! Because human rights came up last year :smile: not really sure how they would word them though :smile:

Are they two different questions. For china i've learnt social and economic reforms and opposition to CPC
Reply 1299
What essay do yous think for health & wealth?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending