The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Great win for Dimitrov, but the boy needs to work on his conditioning. Cramping in a second set? Not good, if he wants to go far in the slams which is best of five. Same happened in MC against Nadal. I don't see this Djokovic loss as anything that will effect his Rome or RG chances.
For those who don't know, Djokovic shouted in Serbian after he won the tiebreak "Well you can suck my dick!", plus a few generic swearwords. Not particularly classy, but I can't say that I blame him too much given the behaviour of the crowd.

EDIT: He should take lessons from Murray. Murray used to swear really inventively in his old days.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TopHat
For those who don't know, Djokovic shouted in Serbian after he won the tiebreak "Well you can suck my dick!", plus a few generic swearwords. Not particularly classy, but I can't say that I blame him too much given the behaviour of the crowd.

EDIT: He should take lessons from Murray. Murray used to swear really inventively in his old days.

Is there any particular reason why the crowd was so against him? Or do they have previous at this tournament that I've missed?
Reply 1423
Original post by jamiepango
Is there any particular reason why the crowd was so against him? Or do they have previous at this tournament that I've missed?

Maybe because he beat Rafa in Madrid in 2011, some say his celebrations were quite excessive. But he done himself no favours today by riling them up some more, he should have ignored them, however, the crowd showed absolutely no respect for him and that's just sad IMO.
Original post by jamiepango

If Dimitrov beat Djokovic, Nadal (the home favourite) has his main opponent knocked out.
Reply 1425
If Rafa Nadal wins Madrid,Rome and french open do you guys think he can still have a great chance of being Year end no.1, if he wins madrid and defends rest of his clay points hes only going to be 6000 points behind Novak djokovic and hes currently 2nd in Race to London Rankings.
Original post by ubi1
If Rafa Nadal wins Madrid,Rome and french open do you guys think he can still have a great chance of being Year end no.1, if he wins madrid and defends rest of his clay points hes only going to be 6000 points behind Novak djokovic and hes currently 2nd in Race to London Rankings.

Its unlikely to come back to world number 1 so quick after such a long time off, he'll collect as many points as possible on clay but Djokovic had has it figured the rest of the year.
Reply 1427
Original post by Natty.B
Maybe because he beat Rafa in Madrid in 2011, some say his celebrations were quite excessive. But he done himself no favours today by riling them up some more, he should have ignored them, however, the crowd showed absolutely no respect for him and that's just sad IMO.

Well if the crowd dont like him thats their choice. Maybe they are all beginning to realise what a nasty man he really is!
Reply 1428
Original post by ubi1

"Only 6000 points"
Reply 1429
Original post by ubi1

anytime you post i feel like i'm at TalkTennis or one of those troll filled tennis forums, it is insufferable.
Reply 1430
Original post by ballgirl
Well if the crowd dont like him thats their choice. Maybe they are all beginning to realise what a nasty man he really is!

Yes, there are some things about Djokovic that I really don't like and he really shouldn't have riled up the crowd some more with his swearing in Serbian and other things, and this isn't the only crowd he has had problems with, the USO crowd haven't liked him in the past.
Nah, there's a certain level of respect you show the world no.1 for their achievements, regardless of who they are. I'm not saying that means you like them, but you certainly don't, say, boo their winners. I don't really like Federer's attitude much, but I would never, ever boo him. You just don't do it. It's especially bad for Djokovic because in many ways he is a 'usurper' - Federer was the king for so long, and Nadal the heir apparent, that Djokovic gets **** from both Federer and Nadal tards (not that anyone here is a tard, I'm talking in general terms). A lot of crowds give him **** just because they want a big threat to Federer and Nadal to be removed, and that's simply not fair on Djokovic. Obviously, it'd have been much better if he'd restrained himself, but the Madrid crowds were awful. He'd not done anything to merit the treatment he was getting even halfway through the first set. While you can't absolve Djokovic entirely, it is fully understandable he would be furious at the crowd's response. I also want to point out the crowd are being rude to many other players too - I'm watching Paire/Nadal right now, and a fair few of Paire's rather good winners have been booed simply because the crowd is so pro-Nadal, which is unacceptable (the booing, not being pro-Nadal :tongue: ). It's fine to express your like or dislike for a player, but when they make a good shot, you do not boo. When they make a bad shot, you do not cheer.

EDIT: Also Paire is hilarious. Who else would attempt to run around Nadal's forehand?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1432
Original post by Prendah
"Only 6000 points"

That was my main thought too. But hey, I can catch that on pretty much every player if I win the french, wimby and the US.
Reply 1433
Original post by ubi1

No.

Best he'll manage is world number 3 which would be an impressive achievement in itself. Not a prayer Djokovic will drop 6000 points over the hard court season unless he gets a serious injury.
Reply 1434
Robson's serve is pretty awful at times. Really holding her back.
Christ, Robson choking again!
Reply 1436
Original post by jackclarke1995
Christ, Robson choking again!

Good old British mental strength.
Although Ivanovic has just served 2 DFs.
Reply 1437
Wow, a DF to end a match she really should have won. It's never easy with Laura.
Any predictions for Wimbledon 2013?

I've got a gut feeling Murray will win, there's no reason why he can't! He's played the big boys and beaten them at the slams and he's obviously going to have the home crowd advantage!
Original post by TopHat
Nah, there's a certain level of respect you show the world no.1 for their achievements, regardless of who they are. I'm not saying that means you like them, but you certainly don't, say, boo their winners. I don't really like Federer's attitude much, but I would never, ever boo him. You just don't do it. It's especially bad for Djokovic because in many ways he is a 'usurper' - Federer was the king for so long, and Nadal the heir apparent, that Djokovic gets **** from both Federer and Nadal tards (not that anyone here is a tard, I'm talking in general terms). A lot of crowds give him **** just because they want a big threat to Federer and Nadal to be removed, and that's simply not fair on Djokovic. Obviously, it'd have been much better if he'd restrained himself, but the Madrid crowds were awful. He'd not done anything to merit the treatment he was getting even halfway through the first set. While you can't absolve Djokovic entirely, it is fully understandable he would be furious at the crowd's response. I also want to point out the crowd are being rude to many other players too - I'm watching Paire/Nadal right now, and a fair few of Paire's rather good winners have been booed simply because the crowd is so pro-Nadal, which is unacceptable (the booing, not being pro-Nadal :tongue: ). It's fine to express your like or dislike for a player, but when they make a good shot, you do not boo. When they make a bad shot, you do not cheer.

Absolutely. Even if Djokovic dealt with the situation less than cleverly he was perfectly entitled to get ****ed off the way he was treated last night. The Madrid crowd were looking for an opportunity to get on his back right from his questioning of a line call and I don't care if I support Rafa, it's despicable to want Djokovic to lose that badly that they'll boo his good play. It's exactly the way Rafa is treated at the French (not so bad now) and he deals with it admirably by not responding to them - an example Djokovic should follow. But at the same time it's why I like players like Murray, who is fired up by the antagonism of the crowd. But Novak has got to realise he can't have it both ways - as world no.1 he's just got to absorb it rather than feeding the crowd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest