The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by Idle
Not the happiest with Moyes but hope he proves me wrong, honestly not expecting anything more than 2nd in the league next year.

Give the man a chance. He hasn't even step foot in the place yet.

I'm sure all fans will give him 100% support. We have a fantastic squad and I'm adamant we will continue to win trophies.
Reply 3661
One of the things Moyes is going to have to get used to is spending and spending big when necessary and force the Glazers to splash. Us United fans have been absolutely spoilt by Fergie down the years, and Fergie didn't have much patience, if he knew he needed to improve the squad and didn't see any option within he spent to improve, obviously not like Chelsea and City but he didn't wait for improvement like Arsene, the thing that worries me with Moyes is that a) big name foreign players may not find Man Utd very attractive anymore and b) well he is known to bring the best out of footballers on a low budget sounds a little bit like Wenger and the Glazers may use him to turn Man Utd into there gold mine. Basically does Moyes have that drive, fire to win trophies consistently to do what it takes because his career doesn't really show it.
Original post by Idle
Not the happiest with Moyes but hope he proves me wrong, honestly not expecting anything more than 2nd in the league next year.
I would say the main question is whether he's got the tactical nous needed, but I guess you have to remember compared to the top managers he's squad is almost always inferior, against similar quality sides he always out performs them. League is too tight to guess positions. So long as he comes in and gets the team settled I'll be happy.
Reply 3663
Original post by Akkuz
Give the man a chance. He hasn't even step foot in the place yet.

I'm sure all fans will give him 100% support. We have a fantastic squad and I'm adamant we will continue to win trophies.

Yeah I will, I just don't expect much in the first year at-least, I hope i'm proven wrong and will get behind him.

Original post by doggyfizzel
I would say the main question is whether he's got the tactical nous needed, but I guess you have to remember compared to the top managers he's squad is almost always inferior, against similar quality sides he always out performs them. League is too tight to guess positions. So long as he comes in and gets the team settled I'll be happy.

I'm just a bit disappointed we are taking a risk on a kind of unknown when a club as big as United didn't really need to take that risk of taking someone unproven with a big team. I hope it pays off though and put my faith in that there is a plan.
Reply 3664
Original post by rohitbd
One of the things Moyes is going to have to get used to is spending and spending big when necessary and force the Glazers to splash. Us United fans have been absolutely spoilt by Fergie down the years, and Fergie didn't have much patience, if he knew he needed to improve the squad and didn't see any option within he spent to improve, obviously not like Chelsea and City but he didn't wait for improvement like Arsene, the thing that worries me with Moyes is that a) big name foreign players may not find Man Utd very attractive anymore and b) well he is known to bring the best out of footballers on a low budget sounds a little bit like Wenger and the Glazers may use him to turn Man Utd into there gold mine. Basically does Moyes have that drive, fire to win trophies consistently to do what it takes because his career doesn't really show it.

The bit in bold made me shudder, i hope we don't go through a phase of winning nothing for years

On the point about transfers i think thatr Fergie could get money because the Glazers trusted him but with Fergie as a director he will still be able to persuade them to give Moyes money so im not worried about that

I'd rather Fergie go of his will rather than bad health then the team is left in the lurch as we look for a replacement and then additionally we lose fergie's guidance

Also apparently Fergie was gonna leave last season but the way in which we lost the title to Manchester City meant he had to stay and ensure that we were ahead of Manchester City by a fair margin which makes sense
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Idle

I'm just a bit disappointed we are taking a risk on a kind of unknown when a club as big as United didn't really need to take that risk of taking someone unproven with a big team. I hope it pays off though and put my faith in that there is a plan.
You look at the two best run big clubs in the PL they both have something in common. Stability counts for a lot. SAF is said to have had a large input into this, he must rate Moyes and he knows what the job entails. Every thing is unknown relative to SAF, the only appointment I think I would have considered is Jose and even then he has clear drawbacks. At the worse Moyes won't make it, but he's not going to trash the club and the team.
Reply 3666
Original post by doggyfizzel
You look at the two best run big clubs in the PL they both have something in common. Stability counts for a lot. SAF is said to have had a large input into this, he must rate Moyes and he knows what the job entails. Every thing is unknown relative to SAF, the only appointment I think I would have considered is Jose and even then he has clear drawbacks. At the worse Moyes won't make it, but he's not going to trash the club and the team.

Yeah it is going to be a big unknown either way, I just think a big name (Like Jose) who could walk in and not fear changing it up if that is what they felt suited what they were trying to do. I don't think whoever we appoint that they will be around for a decade or more, that period of football seems to have gone, maybe we will get lucky with Moyes in that regard but I think moving in on that basis isn't the smartest move. But who am I to talk, if that is what the board think is best then lets hope he gets given the finances and freedom to set himself up for August :smile:

I don't think a manager can trash a club unless the board let them do so, they sign off on all purchases and sales. But I do see your points.
Reply 3667
Original post by diggy
The bit in bold made me shudder, i hope we don't go through a phase of winning nothing for years

On the point about transfers i think thatr Fergie could get money because the Glazers trusted him but with Fergie as a director he will still be able to persuade them to give Moyes money so im not worried about that

I'd rather Fergie go of his will rather than bad health then the team is left in the lurch as we look for a replacement and then additionally we lose fergie's guidance

Also apparently Fergie was gonna leave last season but the way in which we lost the title to Manchester City meant he had to stay and ensure that we were ahead of Manchester City by a fair margin which makes sense

Exactly, I just think Moyes should make 1 big name signing this summer to implant his foot as United manager, I don't think a ST like Falcao or Lewa will be brought considering Moyes will probably see our attack complete, and his biggest transfer at Everton was Fellani a holding midfielder and he was a CB so I think he'll look into buying a holding midfielder which will be good news, I think all the Ronaldo rumours will stop now as well, as Moyes has no connection with him and you would think he'd rather buy someone like Bale instead, though all of this is speculation and a lot of guess work, but the transfers he makes this summer could be vital to get the fans on his side or not.
Anyone else still unsure about how to react after what's happened today? Should we be sad, scared, or excited? I've seen a mixture of all three emotions. The only universal emotion is the high praise for SAF. :adore:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Anyone else still unsure about how to react after what's happened today? Should we be sad, scared, or excited? I've seen a mixture of all three emotions. The only universal emotion is the high praise for SAF. :adore:

Totally agree with that, throughout the day, I have gone through a little bit of all three of them emotions. At least Saf will be a dof so will be still involved.
Did moyes ever make up
With Rooney?
Reply 3671
Moyes :teeth:

Wonder if he will ensure his wonderful record at Anfield and the other traditional 'top 4' grounds will continue :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;c16mH-Kaooc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c16mH-Kaooc[/video]

Teary eyed...

"Football, Bloody hell"
(edited 10 years ago)
Moyes at UTD is so refreshing. It's nice to see a team of UTD's stature go to him rather than the obvious choices. That said, I'm not sure he would have got it had Guardiola been available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3674
Who knows, working with Moyes again may re-ignite Rooney.
Original post by member9876
Did moyes ever make up
With Rooney?

IIRC Rooney apologised in 2010 by ringing Moyes for a passage in his autobiography.
twitter reports coming in that Rooney has asked for talks on his future. If he ****s off, and we play Hernandez more often and get a solid centre mid, it's great.
I think Moyes needs to be given the chance to work at one of the top clubs. All those people saying that his destined to fail is rubbish, give the guy a chance. Okay his not got the best record against top teams and hasn't won anything with Everton, but with the budget his had (spend of an average of £800,000 a year) his done really well to even get Everton to where they are right now. And for the United fans worrying about him not spending large amounts of money if he comes to United is also stupid. His clearly not had the funds at Everton to buy the players he wants so his had to adjust and compromise to who he can buy. But even with that his got the best out of the players.

And on the other managers that were in contention, Mourinho only brings short term success so I don't see why anyone was expecting him to come to United when they clearly want a long term manager and nobody even talked about Klopp before this champion league campaign. Plus United have always gone with British managers so why change something that clearly is working for them.
Original post by ledleyking123
twitter reports coming in that Rooney has asked for talks on his future. If he ****s off, and we play Hernandez more often and get a solid centre mid, it's great.

Heard stuff that he wants to go to Bayern?

Also do think Moyes should have a chance everyone needs one to get that break.
Original post by Malevolent
Heard stuff that he wants to go to Bayern?

Also do think Moyes should have a chance everyone needs one to get that break.

Hopijg we sign Fellani

Latest