The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
I feel like trolling this by replying with the AM-GM inequality... :tongue:

On a side note, eiπ+1=0 e^{i\pi }+1 = 0 is the most aesthetically pleasing one you will ever get but I'm a big fan of De Moivre's in general. I love how something which is fundamentally to do with complex numbers can be used to solve a lot of things involving no complex numbers whatsoever, such as summing sines and the like.

No doubt some mathmos would actually go for that monstrosity. I'd be interested to hear Mladenov's favourite equation.

Indeed, I like the way it's used in physics, whereby a measurable quantity is defined to be complex just so you can use the equation :biggrin:.
Well since I prefer the polyhedral Euler formula over the complex one anyday and that's already been said now.
W=k<Λ[Dg][Da][Dψ][DΦ]e{id4xg{mp22R14FμνaFaμν+iψiγμDμψi+(ψLiVijΦψRj+h.c.)DμΦ2V(Φ)}}\displaystyle W = \int_{k< \Lambda}^{} [Dg][Da][D \psi][D \Phi] e^{\big\{ i \int d^4x\sqrt{-g} \big\{\frac{m_p^2}{2}R - \frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu}^a F^{a \mu \nu} + i \psi^i \gamma^{ \mu} D_{\mu} \psi^i +( \overline{ \psi}_L^iV_{ij} \Phi \psi_R^j + h.c.) - |D_\mu \Phi |^2 - V( \Phi )\big\}\big\}}
:colone:
Original post by Llewellyn
Well since I prefer the polyhedral Euler formula over the complex one anyday and that's already been said now.
W=k<Λ[Dg][Da][Dψ][DΦ]e{id4xg{mp22R14FμνaFaμν+iψiγμDμψi+(ψLiVijΦψRj+h.c.)DμΦ2V(Φ)}}\displaystyle W = \int_{k< \Lambda}^{} [Dg][Da][D \psi][D \Phi] e^{\big\{ i \int d^4x\sqrt{-g} \big\{\frac{m_p^2}{2}R - \frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu}^a F^{a \mu \nu} + i \psi^i \gamma^{ \mu} D_{\mu} \psi^i +( \overline{ \psi}_L^iV_{ij} \Phi \psi_R^j + h.c.) - |D_\mu \Phi |^2 - V( \Phi )\big\}\big\}}

Da*** is that. It's even worse than the neutron transport equation!
Original post by bananarama2
Out of interest what is everyone's favourite equation ?

y=mx+cy=mx + c

Behold its beauty.

P.S. What is yours? Apologies if I have missed you already saying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dark Lord of Mordor
y=mx+cy=mx + c

Behold its beauty.

P.S. What is yours? Apologies if I have missed you already saying.

I can't decide....

I mean the simplicity of ΔST0 \Delta S_T \geq 0

Or the revolutionary nature of tΨ(x,t)=H^Ψ(x,t)\displaystyle \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi (x, t) = \hat{H}\Psi (x, t)
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't decide....

Or the revolutionary nature of tΨ(x,t)=H^Ψ(x,t)\displaystyle \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi (x, t) = \hat{H}\Psi (x, t)

Both have #swag. I know my friend's favourite is the first one.
Both have #swag. I know my friend's favourite is the first one.

I'd describe the first as elegant and the second as sexy/playful.
Original post by DJMayes
What were the equations? :lol:

(Also, stealing this idea...)

I have absolutely no idea - I heard the words but they meant nothing to me. Serious maths and I parted company quite a while ago. On the other hand I probably could name you a favourite piece of medical equipment, favourite (non-dirty) anatomical name and have spent far too long debating my "desert island drugs" list.

I can, however, offer you a maths joke:

All the exponentials go to a party. x2x^2 notices exe^x sitting in the corner looking sad, so he goes over to ask what's wrong. exe^x says "I just feel so lonely," so x2x^2 suggests "Well, why don't you try to integrate a little more?" to which exe^x cries "But it won't make any difference!"

:getmecoat:
I'd describe the first as elegant and the second as sexy/playful.

How is that possible? :tongue:

Original post by Helenia
I have absolutely no idea - I heard the words but they meant nothing to me. Serious maths and I parted company quite a while ago. On the other hand I probably could name you a favourite piece of medical equipment, favourite (non-dirty) anatomical name and have spent far too long debating my "desert island drugs" list.

I can, however, offer you a maths joke:

All the exponentials go to a party. x2x^2 notices exe^x sitting in the corner looking sad, so he goes over to ask what's wrong. exe^x says "I just feel so lonely," so x2x^2 suggests "Well, why don't you try to integrate a little more?" to which exe^x cries "But it won't make any difference!"

:getmecoat:

Our maths teacher also told us that one :tongue:

598784_10151213502453986_1726631811_n.jpg
I can't decide....

The thermodynamics laws are all yummy.

The above equation was just me trying to mash all of physics into one equation. It describes the amplitude to undergo configuration transitions, whilst trying to incorporate quantum mechanics, QFT, general relativity and the standard model. I think I may have forgotten a few masses but the basic idea is there :lol:
How is that possible? :tongue:

Look at the curves.

That LHS needs a rotation of pi/2 in the complex plane
Has anybody any idea how the pooling algorithm for graduates works, and what the chances are to end up at Hughes Hall, Wolfson or one of the other nasty places? The admissions statistics only indicate the numbers of the open applications. Is it likely that those who've chosen two of the old colleges as preferences are being considered for colleges of the same kind/style?

I do not mean these colleges are nasty by the way, but I hugely prefer old architectural wonders/traditions over the boring and unattractive style of the new colleges. And I am desperate to get to know my fate :frown:.

(I chose Trinity and Gonville&Caius, but was unsuccesful)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ben-smith
That LHS needs a rotation of pi/2 in the complex plane

Indeed it does :tongue:

itΨ(x,t)=H^Ψ(x,t)\displaystyle i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi (x, t) = \hat{H}\Psi (x, t)
Original post by Meg94
...and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is DAIRY!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :colondollar:

Respect :five:
"Bropology" accepted, I was waiting for someone to pounce on it :cool:
Original post by Homotopic
Has anybody any idea how the pooling algorithm for graduates works, and what the chances are to end up at Hughes Hall, Wolfson or one of the other nasty places? The admissions statistics only indicate the numbers of the open applications. Is it likely that those who've chosen two of the old colleges as preferences are being considered for colleges of the same kind/style?

I do not mean these colleges are nasty by the way, but I hugely prefer old architectural wonders/traditions over the boring and unattractive style of the new colleges. And I am desperate to get to know my fate :frown:.

(I chose Trinity and Gonville&Caius, but was unsuccesful)

The algorithm is not made public and as far as I'm aware your initial college choice has no bearing on what colleges are likely to consider or take you from the pool.

It's more likely a mature college will take a mature candidate than a general college. But this is simply because mature colleges have a greater demand and so are able to pick from the pool first (before general colleges).

Did you actually Latex that bitch...?
The algorithm is not made public and as far as I'm aware your initial college choice has no bearing on what colleges are likely to consider or take you from the pool.

It's more likely a mature college will take a mature candidate than a general college. But this is simply because mature colleges have a greater demand and so are able to pick from the pool first (before general colleges).

Interesting. Thanks.
Out of interest what is everyone's favourite equation ?

y=mx+cy=mx + c

ΔST0 \Delta S_T \geq 0

Well I was going to go for either:
y=mx+cy=mx + c
or:
Unparseable latex formula:

\Delta S_u_n_i_v \geq 0

but it seems I've already been beaten to both :unimpressed:

So instead I will have to go for:
y=1x2x5y= \frac{-1}{x^2 -x -5}
as I used it in my C3 coursework and it kind of looks like a man

Untitled.jpg
I think my favourite curve goes to this...

MSP4971fi8fah1539g61d900000ff5fgg2acah6e3c.gif

And you can find the full parametric equation here (warning: may dazzle anyone who beholds it): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dr-zoidberg+like+curve

Latest

Trending

Trending