The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladymarshmallow
Wouldn't advise staying up v. late, but you could wake up early.

I think I am going to cry. I have not revised nearly enough. Should I sleep now or wake up at 3:00 am?
Original post by weejackie10
AMS and STV furnish the voter with greater representation than FPTP. However, certain aspects of these systems of proportional representation can be criticised due to the nature of the representation they create.

Both the AMS and STV give the voter more choice. Under AMS the elector has two votes; one for there local msp and one for the regional msp and STV votes in order if preference 1,2,3,4 etc. This is a sharp contrast to FPTP where voters vote once. It can also be argued that STV leads to a more competitive election encouraging parties to stand because they have a better chance of gaining some form of representation. Small parties such as the greens and senior citizens have never won a seat with FPTP but stand better chances with AMS or STV.

One of the greatest strengths are there ability to produce a fairer and more proportionate result. As a system if proportional representation it attempts to provide a result that the percentage of seats won is a try reflection of the percentage if votes cast. Fptp fails to provide this as in 2005 labour won 35% of the vote but 55% of the seats.

Smaller parties are also given the chance to gain representation. For the first time in the uk the greens and senior citizens won seats in Holyrood under AMS. Never with FPTP. This is important in a pluralistic society, with diverse groups of people living in a complex society.

AMS is used in scotland and STV in Ireland to elect a coalition government; labour/lib dem. this allows more representation in government and prevents one party becoming an 'elected dictatorship' which is nearly all parties since WW2. Since the 1950's if only FPTP was used labour would win all elections outright in Scotland. However it can be argued that under fptp it is the electorate who decided who forms the government and not party leaders.

In conclusion, the systems of PR clearly provide a more fairer and propionate result that FPTP and enable smaller parties to gain representation. However, the major Criticism is that it leads to a confused result that decides who the government is and not the electorate.

Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much!
Original post by Pabbie
my teacher thinks that health and wealth government policys will come up xx

I haven't revised that....crap.
Wouldn't advise staying up v. late, but you could wake up early.

probably cant sleep anyways lol il be worrying :P
Reply 1464
what you revised?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
3am probably. fresher in your mind
Well I was wondering would it be wise to completely leave out Social and Economic inequalities as it came up in 2011 for USA? highliy unlikey they will repeat it
Reply 1467
Non governmental organisations and united nations organisations. :tongue:

Not something we've ever been told hahha thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
seriously are people gonna stay up all night and cram or are you all sleeping ?
I'm going to bed in like 30 minutes, getting up at half 5!
Original post by roarwalk49
seriously are people gonna stay up all night and cram or are you all sleeping ?

SLEEP! It's the way forward! Set my alarm for 6 so I can revise for 1 hour in the morning but that's all :smile:
My dream exam:

Health & Wealth: Income vs Health or Lifestyle Choices.
Electoral Systems: PR vs FPTP.
USA: Ethnic Minorities affect vote.
China: Social and economic reforms.
Original post by Pabbie
my teacher thinks that health and wealth government policys will come up xx

Do you know how to answer that one? Because I don't have a clue...
if powers of the president come up am walking out
I still need to learn some DME evidence...fml.
Would they ask a question on just ethnic minorities or will it always be both gender and ethnic?
Reply 1476
Can someone please give me a political progress for em's in USA essay plan? Really starting to stress and this essay just doesn't seem to be sticking in my mind!!:frown:
Original post by KeeKeeDee
I'm going to bed in like 30 minutes, getting up at half 5!

I'll be up half an hour after you :frown:

ps. you're from KDY? That's coool - I live near there aha hi5!
If anyone has any GOOD essays on

SOUTH AFRICA
ELECTORAL SYSTEMS
WEALTH/HEALTH

and wants to swap for a 13/15 China or 15/15 America, please private message me.
Reply 1479
Right, I'm going to bed! Good luck tomorow guys, see you on the other side!:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending