The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Proflash
lol that question is on Q3 page 140 not 142

i got the older version of the book, so there is only 1 page on exam style questions and i guess it was a coincidence that question 3 was substitution too, so i automatically thought she was asking about that question.
Original post by nukethemaly
Oh yeah and I've already done that one. It's just the trig substitutions I have trouble with.

what was the answer?
Original post by nukethemaly
Yeah that one! I've attached my neatest try! and also the question

EDIT: I literally don't know what i'm trying to do with those limits there haha

That's a nice question, plenty of trigonometry in it. :tongue:

OK, firstly, you got dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}. There's no need to write it as dθdx\dfrac{d\theta}{dx} in this case; just substitute in:
secθtanθdθ\sec \theta \tan \theta d\theta
sec2θ\sec^2 \theta
and don't forget to change the limits.

So:

231(x21)32dx\displaystyle \int_2^3 \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} dx

Write it as:

π3arccos(13)secθtanθ(sec2θ1)32dθ\displaystyle \int_\frac{\pi}{3}^{arccos(\frac{1}{3})} \dfrac{\sec \theta \tan \theta}{(\sec^2 \theta -1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} d \theta

Now, how else can you write sec2θ1sec^2 \theta - 1 ? Then do some simplifying and you should get it. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by masryboy94
what was the answer?

I'm getting 0.0940 (to 4 s.f). :smile:
Original post by usycool1

OK, firstly, you got dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}. There's no need to write it as dθdx\dfrac{d\theta}{dx} in this case; just substitute in secθtanθdθ\sec \theta \tan \theta d\theta, sec2θ\sec^2 \theta and don't forget to change the limits.

So:

Write it as:

π3arccos(13)secθtanθ(sec2θ1)32dθ\displaystyle \int_\frac{\pi}{3}^{arccos(\frac{1}{3})} \dfrac{\sec \theta \tan \theta}{(\sec^2 \theta -1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} d \theta

Now, how else can you write sec2θ1sec^2 \theta - 1 ? Then do some simplifying and you should get it. :smile:

haha you beat me to it, yep got that answer ! just like you said :biggrin: hope you get it now Aly :biggrin:

out of curiosity how did you simplify from secxtanx/tan^3 x ? because it took me a good while to try simplify it and there must of been an easier way.

OK, firstly, you got dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}. There's no need to write it as dθdx\dfrac{d\theta}{dx} in this case; just substitute in:
secθtanθdθ\sec \theta \tan \theta d\theta
sec2θ\sec^2 \theta
and don't forget to change the limits.

So:

Write it as:

holy ****, it's that easy!
haha you beat me to it, yep got that answer ! just like you said :biggrin: hope you get it now Aly :biggrin:

Yep I do!

Thanks you guys!
out of curiosity how did you simplify from secxtanx/tan^3 x ? because it took me a good while to try simplify it and there must of been an easier way.

I haven't looked at what he's done, but I'd simplify like this:
sec(x)tan(x)tan3(x)\dfrac{sec(x)tan(x)}{tan^3(x)}=sec(x)tan(x)tan(x)(tan2(x))\dfrac{sec(x)tan(x)}{tan(x)(tan^2(x))}=sec(x)sec2(x)1\dfrac{sec(x)}{sec^2(x)-1}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by reubenkinara
I haven't looked at what he's done, but I'd simplify like this:
sec(x)tan(x)tan3(x)\dfrac{sec(x)tan(x)}{tan^3(x)}=sec(x)tan(x)tan(x)(tan2(x))\dfrac{sec(x)tan(x)}{tan(x)(tan^2(x))}=sec(x)sec2(x)1\dfrac{sec(x)}{sec^2(x)-1}

but then how would you integrate that?

Jut realized the context. :eek:
i've just been doing a soloman paper now and on the mark scheme to a bionomial question they gave the answer as follows: (attachment). my problem is i got the coefficient of x3 to be 160 however they got -160. but if you were to look at their calculation, its should be (4x8) - (2 x -64) which is 160. so have they done a mistake there with the sign? or am i not catching on something?
(edited 10 years ago)

i tried to sub in x=sec and attempted the f'(x)/f(x) integration but im getting it wrong for some reason.
i've just been doing a soloman paper now and on the mark scheme to a bionomial question they gave the answer as follows: (attachment). my problem is i got the coefficient of x3 to be 160 however they got -160. but if you were to look at their calculation, its should be (4x8) - (2 x -64) which is 160. so have they done a mistake there with the sign? or am i not catching on something?

I did that paper today. The mark-scheme is wrong.
Reply 1134
Rather un-intuitive but use the substitution u=tanx
Reply 1135

Wouldn't it be -(sec^2 (x)-1)^(-0.5) if you diffentiate that you should get that function.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1136
Hey!

I'm stuck on question 3 and 8 in the C4 specimen paper. I'm in the early stages of solving and would really appreciate if any solves them for me as they are not in ExamSolutions.

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Vaner
Hey!

I'm stuck on question 3 and 8 in the C4 specimen paper. I'm in the early stages of solving and would really appreciate if any solves them for me as they are not in ExamSolutions.

Thank you in advance!

I'm going out to the movies right now (Iron Man 3 :cool:), but if no one's helped you out when I get back, I'll take a look at it.
Original post by Vaner
Hey!

Thank you in advance!

The integration by substitution and differential equation question? What have you tried? :smile:

I simplified it down to -cosec x :tongue:

Original post by Lanre
Wouldn't it be -(sec^2 (x)-1)^(-0.5) if you diffentiate that you should get that function.

Nope, try differentiating it. :smile:

I simplified it down to -cosec x :tongue:

ooo so you got to the point cosx/sin^2 x and then brought the sin^2 x to the top, did the reverse chain rule to get -1/sinx hence getting the -cosecx, right? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending