The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can't believe I'm witnessing 'fans' hoping for Rooney to exit? Are you forgetting he's been one of our best players of the last decade, has scored 16 goals in this season (34 last season), despite him playing in a variety of roles. Rooney to go would leave a huge dent in us, he's one of the most complete strikers in the world, RVP is 30 this year and although he's unreal, it's questionable how many seasons he has left. Rooney provides us with something completely different to every other club in the world, and if you wish him to leave then I have no words.
I think if you can get a good price for rooney(30-40 million) then he can get off so you can get bale and a CM. You have the defence sorted, you have a top striker, provided kagawa is fit you'll be fine behind the striker. We'll see what happens in the summer though.
Original post by rohannnnn
Can't believe I'm witnessing 'fans' hoping for Rooney to exit? Are you forgetting he's been one of our best players of the last decade, has scored 16 goals in this season (34 last season), despite him playing in a variety of roles. Rooney to go would leave a huge dent in us, he's one of the most complete strikers in the world, RVP is 30 this year and although he's unreal, it's questionable how many seasons he has left. Rooney provides us with something completely different to every other club in the world, and if you wish him to leave then I have no words.

I'm not hoping he leaves. I think he's a good team player and can be world-class on his day. I'm just saying with his history with Moyes, it's hard to picture him staying with United especially with his contract running out in 2 years.

I haven't forget what he has contributed to our club for the past few years no doubt. His willingness for the team is one of the few things i do admire about him. All I'm saying is his statue within the team is not as high as it was a few years ago.

Also i have a slight obsession with Chicharito :colondollar: would be gutted if he left us
wow, never thought I'd be sad to see Fergie retire but...

Except in that decade, he has never looked so desperate not to play. If we had the Rooney we're used to over the past few months, there is little doubt everyone would love to keep him. However, he appears a different player now with a different mindset. If he wants to stay, I'd obviously still keep him but its more likely his attitude is static right now and he wants out, in which case cash in while the value is high and buy a big name that'l give 100% rather than 60%.
Reply 3705

Guardian chief writer.

Wow, should be an interesting summer for Utd. Smells like an overhaul of the team.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Would SAF to Mourinho seem like a downgrade? I think it would, but not even close to a big a downgrade as SAF to Moyes.

Agree, but where would that leave us if/when Mourinho wants yet another new challenge? We'll be in the same position as we are now. There's no evidence to suggest that Mourinho is here for the long-term, which is what the club wants. But I understand the sense of worry; there's no telling how Moyes will perform as manager of United. With Mourinho, I guess short-term success would be more than likely.
Original post by DH1'
It's definitely a downgrade and Mourinho is clearly the better manager. But you can't really look at it that way when talking about Moyes taking charge. It would seem like a downgrade, whoever took over the role. With Moyes, Ferguson and United must see it as the best fit. In keeping with the principles that have defined United. He's good with youth, the longevity factor, and stability. Three things Mourinho doesn't do. Getting him would mean changing how United run things. Sure he's seen as the dream replacement because people think he'd ensure instant success but it doesn't mean Moyes wouldn't. Tbh i was underwhelmed by his name being mooted, but just coming to the realisation now that's it's not so bad. More down about Fergie going than Moyes replacing him. He'd get my full support.

All of those things are well and good, but if he's not a good enough manager then they are ultimately pointless. To me he's not proved that he's good enough to meet the standards of United. Do you really think that Moyes is the manager to bring us success in Europe? Or to continue our domestic dominance? I really don't. It all seems too lovely and idilic to me, a nice, respectful, Scottish manager that shares many of the same ideals as SAF comes along and takes the reigns almost as a like for like replacement and everything continues as normal. It sounds like we're looking for another SAF, and that's pointless as we won't find one.
Reply 3708
Rooney can go if he wants, Falcao, Bale and Ronaldo would improve us anyway, yes he's been a good player but if he wants 250k a week he can leave for the right price of anything above 40mil.

Mate.

Rooney is a prick, he doesn't give a **** about your club and looks bored with the game.

I can't believe people are so desperate to defend him all the time, "different positions" this, "variety of roles" that. Yeah, yeah, excuses. Forget the stats, how many good games has he had this season? How often does he look arsed? It's not the same Rooney you signed, the bullish teenager who ran at defences and terrorised teams. It's a lacklustre, 'can't be arsed', unfulfilled potential Rooney. Rooney's touch, for a professional footballer, is ****ing shocking. His fitness is bad, he can't be arsed. Tevez can do his role better. Oh and he still hasn't left a Fergie tribute on his Twitter, he is a total prick.

Keep fooling yourself.
Original post by rohitbd
Rooney can go if he wants, Falcao, Bale and Ronaldo would improve us anyway, yes he's been a good player but if he wants 250k a week he can leave for the right price of anything above 40mil.

Doesn't he already earn £250k at United?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Agree, but where would that leave us if/when Mourinho wants yet another new challenge? We'll be in the same position as we are now. There's no evidence to suggest that Mourinho is here for the long-term, which is what the club wants. But I understand the sense of worry; there's no telling how Moyes will perform as manager of United. With Mourinho, I guess short-term success would be more than likely.

Again it's all a very idilic image of a long serving, loyal to the end manager that bleeds United, but it's rare in modern football to find something like that. If Mourinho comes and wins us a few important trophies then wants to go in a few years then we're in the same position we are now but we have more trophies and that's what the point in all this is. If that happens then we look for a new manager as we have had to now.
Reply 3712
Hahahaha. This is brilliant. Manager and one of your biggest players leaving? Wow. Ferdinand, Giggs and Scholes won't last forever either. Big changes about to happen, possibly won't be the team we've seen the last 15-20 years in terms of dominance I reckon.

Why do your fans think that Ronaldo is going to return, especially now? Think Ronaldo's going to come to partner 30 year old Van Persie and Welbeck under Moyes? Haha. You might get Bale but really that'll just weaken Spurs and you still won't be as good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rohitbd

We can probably get a bit more than 40 for him :colone:

If we do get Moyes I can't imagine his targets. He definately has an eye for a good midfielder though, finally :rolleyes:
Original post by DaveSmith99
All of those things are well and good, but if he's not a good enough manager then they are ultimately pointless. To me he's not proved that he's good enough to meet the standards of United. Do you really think that Moyes is the manager to bring us success in Europe? Or to continue our domestic dominance? I really don't. It all seems too lovely and idilic to me, a nice, respectful, Scottish manager that shares many of the same ideals as SAF comes along and takes the reigns almost as a like for like replacement and everything continues as normal. It sounds like we're looking for another SAF, and that's pointless as we won't find one.

Would you take guardiola, who arguably is worse than moyes in this respect in the way he rose to become the barca manager?
Personally I hope people don't start hating moyes. Hopefully he can get a few wins and the players and fans will respect him but unless he brings success instantly it's going to be hard for the club to support him.
Reply 3715

I agree completely with what you've said, he has been arguably are best player of the ferguson era, given that he has been here longer than most (other than Ferdinand/scholes/giggs).

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's been an incredibly surreal day, sort of like you're drifting through without sinking in the information. It was tough to do work whilst catching up the tributes on the BBC website and chatting on Twitter about the retirement.

Me and my brother have grown up in Fergie era and it's going to be insanely weird seeing Moyes in the hot-seat but the story last night seemed ominous.

Difficult to add what's already been said about his legacy because that is being left with the pressure that will be on Moyes when he takes over the job but I think he's the greatest, end of. What he's done for 26 years at United; asserting his authority when he took over to eradicate the drinking culture, going four years without a trophy, fan anger, winning the FA Cup, first league title, then League/FA Cup double, Treble, the domination at the start of 2000 onwards, seeing off Wenger, Mourinho and Mancini and that's half the story! Never mind the pressure of managing United, players, contracts, all the hullaballoo! Incredible.

I think alot of factors came together for SAF to leave. His hip surgery and health issues, Moyes/Mourinho's availability and Gill leaving. I don't believe he was nudged out as speculated but I think he felt with changes in the board room and his health and at 71, it's time.

I honestly wish him the best in his retirement and hope he puts his feet up to enjoy what is most important in life - family. It's going to be on hell of an emotional weekend and I hope the players let SAF lift the trophy for the first time on Sunday rather than Vidic/Evra, would be a fitting end that he lifts the trophy that concludes his domination of the league and to knock Liverpool off their perch etc.

On the replacement. I'm very much behind Moyes. At first, my heart kept saying Mourinho because he is the X Factor and he would be able to handle the pressure of Manchester United where as Moyes is going to have to work really hard to keep on top of that. But Moyes deserves this chance and I'm sure he is aware that he will have to come in and deliver asap. No transition period but straight in for success. He's tactically astute, works well with players, and I'm sure he'll do OK in Europe as he seems knowledgeable about the game. I'm intrigued if he brings Steve Round, his assistant with him but I hope he makes Rene Meulensteen as his assistant. Rene has got a good bond with the squad and I think they could be complimented by another coaching addition, possibly Scholes or Giggs but not any of the Neville's. I don't think Phil, who still wants to play is of the ilk who will command the respect of the players, maybe Gary would but he's comfortable at Sky.

This is a day I will never forget but sad and excited about SAF's retirement and Moyes' appointment.

Phew.....:frown:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Mate.

Tevez can do his role better. Oh and he still hasn't left a Fergie tribute on his Twitter, he is a total prick.

Keep fooling yourself.

Ha, ha, ha. Na man this guy is probably the same problems as rooney just slightly fitter. Although I agree with what you say about him but don't compare him to tevez who's probably an even bigger prick than rooney in the way he left united, bleeds city then basically undermines the club due to his lack of loyalty and then has the indecency to put up R.I.P. Fergie in his parade. He's a grade A prick.

Plus for all we know it might not be Rooney wanting to leave anyway.
Reply 3718
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Doesn't he already earn £250k at United?

Yep but when he got that contract he was the 3rd best player in the world, now he's not in the top 10 so he doesn't deserve that type of cash anymore, so if he wants that much again he should leave.
Original post by jam277
Ha, ha, ha. Na man this guy is probably the same problems as rooney just slightly fitter. Although I agree with what you say about him but don't compare him to tevez who's probably an even bigger prick than rooney in the way he left united, bleeds city then basically undermines the club due to his lack of loyalty and then has the indecency to put up R.I.P. Fergie in his parade. He's a grade A prick.

Plus for all we know it might not be Rooney wanting to leave anyway.

Tevez the footballer is superior to Rooney the footballer, that's all I'm saying about people making excuses for Rooney about how he's the best in his role etc, he isn't. It's just hype cos he's English.

However they'd give each other a run for their money in the dickhead stakes, you are right.

Latest