The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
anyone want to revise?
Reply 1081
I think speed is very important its good your finishing the papers so quickly with high accuracy. Ensure when you do the questions to answer them carefully trying not to make a mistake but quickly aswell, so when you finished the paper in (say) an hour you would have 30 minutes to check over your answers (this is the best case scenario). Its better to semi-"rush" (while being carefully and checking your answers) and finish the paper quickly so you have a crazy amount of time to go over your answers/question rather to finish the whole paper in exactly 1hour 30mins which leaves no time to check anything.
i think this works for most , put for people who struggle with the subject and will make lots of mistakes i don't advice it...
Reply 1082
Original post by Zzzyax
I think speed is very important its good your finishing the papers so quickly with high accuracy. Ensure when you do the questions to answer them carefully trying not to make a mistake but quickly aswell, so when you finished the paper in (say) an hour you would have 30 minutes to check over your answers (this is the best case scenario). Its better to semi-"rush" (while being carefully and checking your answers) and finish the paper quickly so you have a crazy amount of time to go over your answers/question rather to finish the whole paper in exactly 1hour 30mins which leaves no time to check anything.
i think this works for most , put for people who struggle with the subject and will make lots of mistakes i don't advice it...

Hi want to revise :smile:
it's our last question in our controlled assessment in ocr gateway
same I really need to start
Reply 1085
Original post by jannattulfirdaus
same I really need to start

Oh God :frown:
Got a D in this unit due to lack of preparation...I'm getting serious De Ja Vu here!
Are u resitting?
Reply 1086
Original post by Gulzar
Got a D in this unit due to lack of preparation...I'm getting serious De Ja Vu here!
Are u resitting?

Hi long time how are u

want to revise
Reply 1087
Original post by Gulzar
Are u resitting?

Lol.

De Ja Vu...you might want to Prioritise what ever is your weakest Subject now.

Chem 5 is actually much easier than Chem 4 but it takes more understanding rather than just Memorisation/Consistent work like in Chem 4.

There really isn't much time. You can do it though if you start now bro. You'll really have to put in the hours though. I've been up at 6AM for the last 2 weeks everyday. I really want A*s and not A's.
Reply 1088
Original post by Better
Lol.

De Ja Vu...you might want to Prioritise what ever is your weakest Subject now.

Chem 5 is actually much easier than Chem 4 but it takes more understanding rather than just Memorisation/Consistent work like in Chem 4.

There really isn't much time. You can do it though if you start now bro. You'll really have to put in the hours though. I've been up at 6AM for the last 2 weeks everyday. I really want A*s and not A's.

Wow that is really motivational...Im gonna get up at 6am from now on...
Do you have any tips for unit 4? I mean theres a lot to remember but are there any good sites or revision tips for this kind of chemistry?
Oh and for unit 5 there is more maths than understanding and memorising...the only thing that I hate is remembering all those colours for the transition metal ions...there are loads :frown:
yh ok
Reply 1090
Original post by Gulzar
Wow that is really motivational...Im gonna get up at 6am from now on...
Do you have any tips for unit 4? I mean theres a lot to remember but are there any good sites or revision tips for this kind of chemistry?
Oh and for unit 5 there is more maths than understanding and memorising...the only thing that I hate is remembering all those colours for the transition metal ions...there are loads :frown:

Chem 5 and Colours:
Overview: Do a ton of questions.

Chem 4 - My Teacher gave me an OCR Revision Guide which is a condensed version of the Text Book - thank god. I will start going through that today the whole of Unit 4 is spread across 34 Pages - Lol. So I will really enjoy going through it compared to the real text book. Actually looking forward to Recapping now so in a very good mood.

Expand

Waking Up Early
Overview: Do whatever feels right for you. When you are in the Exam, its just you vs the Exam and everyone else in the UK. No one can help you.

Expand

Final Note: Why I am no longer taking notes
Summary: The better alternative - question sheets

Expand

Original post by Better

Spoiler

This is intense, lets go and nail these exams! :biggrin:

I also get up at 6 each morning as I have to get to school for 7:30 for reasons, also with your question sheets did you make them yourself or find them from somewhere? If the latter is correct then could you send them to me please as I'm slowly running out of questions to do :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Better
Chem 5 and Colours:

Chem 4 - My Teacher gave me an OCR Revision Guide which is a condensed version of the Text Book - thank god. I will start going through that today the whole of Unit 4 is spread across 34 Pages - Lol. So I will really enjoy going through it compared to the real text book. Actually looking forward to Recapping now so in a very good mood.

Expand

Waking Up Early
Overview: Do whatever feels right for you. When you are in the Exam, its just you vs the Exam and everyone else in the UK. No one can help you.

Expand

Expand

Woah you do a lot :biggrin: Lol i wake up at 6 every morning too, but never get more than an hour to work :tongue:

Snap on the question sheets, i've started doing that for physics and i can finally actually answer questions :biggrin:
Original post by Better
Chem 5 and Colours:

Expand

Waking Up Early

Expand

Expand

Well done on your motivation and improvement! D1 was a pain of a module :tongue: But I think notes benefit some people, me included - I agree questions are good for testing your knowledge, but to learn the knowledge first I have to do notes. Each to their own I suppose, but notes ensure my understanding to myself, and by doing them I remember odd facts that perhaps don't always come up in the questions. I'm not criticising, I'm just saying that I think that different people have different ways of revising :smile:
Reply 1094
Original post by Lilmzbest

Limz I am really glad you said that. Physics is my Weakest by Far. So really glad that I'm not the only one who uses like Question Sheets! Good effort if you can do the questions now - keep it up!

Original post by MathsNerd1

MathsNerd haha erm no its just a question sheet I made myself, here is an Example, but I generally keep it all on my PC and update it as I find out I don't get stuff; so it's not complete until I finish all the papers. As someone who was great at the Humanities and used take alot of notes this is a real shock to me how differently you have to revise for the Sciences. Surprisingly you don't forget stuff.

Here is an Example. I am not sure how much it will help because it is tailored to me:
Mod 3 Questions Chem 5.docx (27.7 KB, 0 views)

Speaking of not getting stuff: Please can anyone Explain how to work out Molecular Formula from Masses. I am not sure, it was on the Paper I handed in, and I just skipped it.

They gave you Mass of Compound then the Mass of some elements in it and asked you to work out the molecular formula.

I need this for Chem 4 too so if anyone can help I am really rusty on AS Stuff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Better

Spoiler

Very nice and okay that makes sense then, I'm just repeating unit 1 too which is in 2 weeks today so I've hammered through 20 questions from the book that used to be exam type ones, woo!

Also to help you out have they given you the percentages of the masses in the compound? If so then you just work out the empirical formula and scale it back up using the molar mass provided.

Okay, just read the info you've given and can you remember how to work out the empirical formula?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1096
Original post by MathsNerd1

Okay, just read the info you've given and can you remember how to work out the empirical formula?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's from AS.

I remember you have to like divide by the lowest mass then multiply by something.
Original post by Better
I'm not sure how to explain it, it's from AS.

I remember you have to like divide by the lowest mass then multiply by something.

Well you're in luck as I'm doing unit 1 again and what you do is find out the mole ratios of your elements by dividing your mass by the molar mass, then you divide them all by the one with the smallest amount of moles. This gives the empirical formula then you work out the molar mass of the empirical formula and compare with your mass of compound, then it's just a simple scaling to get the molecular formula.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1098
Original post by Better
Chem 5 and Colours:

Expand

Waking Up Early

Expand

Expand

Wow that is a lot of work. I really hope you get the high grades u clearly deserve :wink:
Do u have a copy of the unit 4 revision guide for chemistry online...or is it a booklet?
Reply 1099
Original post by Gulzar
Wow that is a lot of work. I really hope you get the high grades u clearly deserve :wink:
Do u have a copy of the unit 4 revision guide for chemistry online...or is it a booklet?

Sorry mate. It's just a Hard-copy. Thanks I appreciate that - still have plenty to do. Just need to suck it up, and keep working.

Latest

Trending

Trending