The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fjords
Well that could have been a lot worse... All the essay questions were great but I'm not too sure about what I've written, I hope it at least makes sense! I also managed to finish all my essays which was a plus!

That DME though. I don't think it went too well, my background knowledge wasn't great and I babbled on quite a bit... I hope it doesn't effect my overall grade too much.

Also, thanks to everyone in this thread who answered questions or gave notes/essay plans! It was a huge help :-)

:smile: Yours seemed to have gone the same as mine. What grade do you think you'll get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone find it really hard to revise for Modern Studies? There were so many facts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scotland_1
anyone got any ideas on how that cabinet essay shouldhave been done?

You were to speak about the powers that the prime minister has and then talk about how the House of Commons, House of Lords, backbenchers etc... Can control the cabinet! It's pretty similar to the (2010 one I think) about the executive
Anyone wanting to do International Relations or Politics when they leave school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the Cabinet essay I did this:

Spoke about Cabinet's relationship and role with the prime minister
Their role in their departments and settling disputes between departments
Blair and his Cabinet - sofa government
Brown and his Cabinet - ignored cabinet, james purnell resigned.
Cameron and his Cabinet - relies on cabinet due to coalition, theresa may's influence on alcohol policy.

Was is right? :redface:
Original post by xoJennyox
You probably fail. I was told this.

didn't use all the sources in my prelim + only 2 bits of BK and managed a 13/20
Original post by Jennamckinleyx
You were to speak about the powers that the prime minister has and then talk about how the House of Commons, House of Lords, backbenchers etc... Can control the cabinet! It's pretty similar to the (2010 one I think) about the executive

Powers of the PM were last year, they would never do essays so similar so close together.
It didnt ask for the PM's powers? I thought it asked Cabinet's role in decision making and if they had influence.

Similar to the Backbenchers one a few years ago, but i stead of backbenchers talk about Cabinet and their limits
Original post by JackoGeddes
didn't use all the sources in my prelim + only 2 bits of BK and managed a 13/20

Not sure if this will help, I didn't use all the sources in my prelim and got 15 :smile:
Ugh...I keep picking apart my performance in my mind. I can't accept the fact that we must until August for our results.
Original post by hollieeilloh
Not sure if this will help, I didn't use all the sources in my prelim and got 15 :smile:

That does help :colone:

i'm worried now. i know speaking to 4 of my mates sitting the exam, 3 of them didn't use 2 sources! In my prelim if i recall he put in the analysis 'no use of C4, -1'

Can anyone else kind of confirm? going to go in tommorow a see how things are looking. i used all but one, I'm pretty sure it was the source about % of poor smokers/rich smokers which was C3 if i recall. used C5 twice as it had lots.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Ugh...I keep picking apart my performance in my mind. I can't accept the fact that we must until August for our results.

i'm the same, can tell i'm going to sit and worry all night.
Reply 1651
Breathing a sigh of relief after that exam. Paper 1 essays were exactly what I wanted and after talking to teacher I think I wrote the right answers and passed. Did anyone else write A1 essay about Scotland's powers? A wee bit annoyed at myself because usually I get full marks in the DME questions but that one with the social class statistics really confused me. :confused: Overall I think I passed with at least a B.
Original post by UMARTIAN
Powers of the PM were last year, they would never do essays so similar so close together.
It didnt ask for the PM's powers? I thought it asked Cabinet's role in decision making and if they had influence.

Similar to the Backbenchers one a few years ago, but i stead of backbenchers talk about Cabinet and their limits

I know but my modern studies teacher told us to include the powers in the essay and then talk about how the cabinet can be controlled. It's not a pm essay obviously, but I got told to include them cause the cabinet don't have separate powers than the pm
Original post by hollieeilloh

I thought that as well, I don't think I used all the sources, and still got really good marks, but can't really remember. Was starting to panic a bit aha
Original post by ladymarshmallow

Same, I keep thinking of all the positives but then all the negatives. I'm going to be worrying a lot, going to try not but agh.
That does help :colone:

i'm worried now. i know speaking to 4 of my mates sitting the exam, 3 of them didn't use 2 sources! In my prelim if i recall he put in the analysis 'no use of C4, -1'

Can anyone else kind of confirm? going to go in tommorow a see how things are looking. i used all but one, I'm pretty sure it was the source about % of poor smokers/rich smokers which was C3 if i recall. used C5 twice as it had lots.

Yeah I'm gonna try ask my teacher, I used C5 a lot, I think it was C3 for me as well, I just didn't really know where to put it.
Original post by hihelloitsnina
Yeah I'm gonna try ask my teacher, I used C5 a lot, I think it was C3 for me as well, I just didn't really know where to put it.

give me a mail and let us know what your teacher is saying about it, i remember my prelim DME sucked pretty bad, it was okay except i only used 2 bits of BK and missed a source.still managed 13/20.. so surely if i've put 8 bits of BK and the overall DME was decent (though i felt i was clutching at straws trying to link C sources) i couldn't get any lower than 13.
Trying to make myself feel better. I was 4 marks off an A in the prelim with a failed essay and an 18/30 DME so perhaps I've done better here. After all, I thought I'd completely and utterly bombed the prelim, so perhaps there's hope.
give me a mail and let us know what your teacher is saying about it, i remember my prelim DME sucked pretty bad, it was okay except i only used 2 bits of BK and missed a source.still managed 13/20.. so surely if i've put 8 bits of BK and the overall DME was decent (though i felt i was clutching at straws trying to link C sources) i couldn't get any lower than 13.

Yeah we were told, you can only fail if you don't put in BK. But if you put in like 5+ BK you'll get a pretty good mark depending on it's relevancy. Yeah I will, I'm probably seeing her next week or I'll ask a few of my friends and other few people and see what they say. Yeah I didn't think the sources were that good tbh, C5 was good as it had loads, but the others I just threw in randomly aha.
Did anyone else find the DME quite hard? I managed to do 4 arguments for but then only 2 against? Will that still get atleast 10?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending