The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hihelloitsnina
Yeah we were told, you can only fail if you don't put in BK. But if you put in like 5+ BK you'll get a pretty good mark depending on it's relevancy. Yeah I will, I'm probably seeing her next week or I'll ask a few of my friends and other few people and see what they say. Yeah I didn't think the sources were that good tbh, C5 was good as it had loads, but the others I just threw in randomly aha.

yep found it difficult to link, I'm pretty sure in the against arguements i quoted the source B as saying something along the lines of the 'policy is unnecessarily involving in peoples lifes' and linked it to cource C1 about EU countries, saying i firmly disagree as statistics show the UK has one of the highest percentage of smokers and is increasing, policies and legislation is the most prominent way in bucking this trend or something.. does that link? :colone: were told to just try and manipulate sources. alot of my BK referred to the poorest areas of glasgow and their smoking habbits.
What did everyone get for arguments for and against the proposal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackoGeddes
didn't use all the sources in my prelim + only 2 bits of BK and managed a 13/20

Grade inflation perhaps? I am not sure what score the SQA would give it. Maybe your arguments were very sound :smile:.
yep found it difficult to link, I'm pretty sure in the against arguements i quoted the source B as saying something along the lines of the 'policy is unnecessarily involving in peoples lifes' and linked it to cource C1 about EU countries, saying i firmly disagree as statistics show the UK has one of the highest percentage of smokers and is increasing, policies and legislation is the most prominent way in bucking this trend or something.. does that link? :colone: were told to just try and manipulate sources. alot of my BK referred to the poorest areas of glasgow and their smoking habbits.

haha that sounds great :smile: Alot of my BK was just like about what can smoking cause and how many people have died from smoking-related illnesses and stuff like that. I put in about life expectancy as well, linking it in with richer areas and stuff. I barely even can remember what I wrote aha.
Reply 1664
Original post by lastminute1234
Did anyone else find the DME quite hard? I managed to do 4 arguments for but then only 2 against? Will that still get atleast 10?

If your arguments are sound and you've included rebuttals then that's fine. We were only told to do 3 arguments for and 2 against anyway.:smile:
Original post by Scrabble96
What did everyone get for arguments for and against the proposal

Posted from TSR Mobile

For MY proposal against PASS:

PASS should not be a matter of priority for Scot Govt.

PASS interferes too much with the individual lives of society

Can't remember what else but was weak

Against MY proposal:

It would improve health of Scotland

Helps those in the poorest socio-economic groups

Can't remember but it was weak

Rebuttal to points:

Other more urgent problems- lack of social housing in Scotland

Already many health campaigns including a free service to quit smoking

Waste of money

I hope that I have got at least 13/ 20.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hihelloitsnina
haha that sounds great :smile: Alot of my BK was just like about what can smoking cause and how many people have died from smoking-related illnesses and stuff like that. I put in about life expectancy as well, linking it in with richer areas and stuff. I barely even can remember what I wrote aha.

can tell i'm going to pick apart my whole thing the entire day! yep had alot about life expectancy, even bits about smoking leading to obesity and reduced physical health, anything i could think of! got a good bit in about the poorest area of glasgow which has upto 60% smokers having lower life expectancy than those in post war iraq :colone:

did a few calculations based on what i think my essays will get at their worst and say 13 in the dme, even at that i'm into an A so heres hoping!
My BK seems to be very different from everyone else's. I mostly just waffled on about the welfare state and mentioned austerity measures and the strain on the NHS. One of my arguments was very tenuous, I feel and, out of sheer desperation, seeing as Sweden had the lowest smoking rate, I then proceeded to state that this was because it had imposed various measures to reduce it and labelled that as BK. This is in spite of the fact that I know nothing about Sweden and any such policies it has! Wtf was I thinking?
Reply 1668
Original post by ladymarshmallow
My BK seems to be very different from everyone else's. I mostly just waffled on about the welfare state and mentioned austerity measures and the strain on the NHS. One of my arguments was very tenuous, I feel and, out of sheer desperation, seeing as Sweden had the lowest smoking rate, I then proceeded to state that this was because it had imposed various measures to reduce it and labelled that as BK. This is in spite of the fact that I know nothing about Sweden and any such policies it has! Wtf was I thinking?

:eek: I was so close to writing that about Sweden! Even if it's not true (I have no idea btw) you could get some credit - Sweden is a very collectivist country:biggrin:
I mentioned public spending cuts and NHS strain as well though.
can tell i'm going to pick apart my whole thing the entire day! yep had alot about life expectancy, even bits about smoking leading to obesity and reduced physical health, anything i could think of! got a good bit in about the poorest area of glasgow which has upto 60% smokers having lower life expectancy than those in post war iraq :colone:

did a few calculations based on what i think my essays will get at their worst and say 13 in the dme, even at that i'm into an A so heres hoping!

Oh gosh I know I've been sitting here all afternoon picking every single bit apart! I should really stop hahah. Just hate having to wait until August! Yeah same :smile: I just tried to include as much as possible. What do you think your essays will get? I don't think I did that well in my essays, hence why I'm hoping so hard for a good mark in my DME!

I'd try not to stress yourself out - throughout the thread you've seemed like one of the 'best' modstuds people and always answering questions etc! The DME is really hard to predict how well you've done and it sounds like you've done your best anyway :smile:
Original post by Jennamckinleyx
You were to speak about the powers that the prime minister has and then talk about how the House of Commons, House of Lords, backbenchers etc... Can control the cabinet! It's pretty similar to the (2010 one I think) about the executive

i thought that but i didnt. i said something about how they can reach agreements in disputes so thats inportant for decision making, then i balanced wit a paragraph about how its moving away from cabinet meetings to 'presidential style couch approach' then i said that insider groups are more likely to have the pm's trust on specific matters:/
wthat a fail?:/
Original post by skier16
:eek: I was so close to writing that about Sweden! Even if it's not true (I have no idea btw) you could get some credit - Sweden is a very collectivist country:biggrin:
I mentioned public spending cuts and NHS strain as well though.

I didn't specifically mention any actual statistics or figures for the NHS though. :colondollar:
Original post by hollieeilloh
I'd try not to stress yourself out - throughout the thread you've seemed like one of the 'best' modstuds people and always answering questions etc! The DME is really hard to predict how well you've done and it sounds like you've done your best anyway :smile:

Haha thanks :biggrin:, but my performance was a bit "meh" if I'm being honest with you and I find the subject dead boring at times. :redface:
I managed to get a high B in the prelim when I thought I'd bombed it, so perhaps the same logic will apply here, except I'm hoping for an A this time. :smile:
Nonetheless, it appears we shall simply have to wait until August to find out! xxx
Sorry to be constantly aggravating everyone with questions, but did anyone else find that their DME was very poorly written? I suppose it's down to the fact that we simply do not have very much time to perfect our writing style. Some of my phrasing sounded like that of a five year old. In terms of my actual handwriting, it was pretty shoddy as well, yet I did write a wee apology to the marker.
Haha thanks :biggrin:, but my performance was a bit "meh" if I'm being honest with you and I find the subject dead boring at times. :redface:
I managed to get a high B in the prelim when I thought I'd bombed it, so perhaps the same logic will apply here, except I'm hoping for an A this time. :smile:
Nonetheless, it appears we shall simply have to wait until August to find out! xxx

Well honestly I've got faith in you and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised! Suppose so, now's the hard part! :tongue:
Did anyone else not expect question A1? I was probably least prepared for a devolution question.
For DME, I recommended PASS.
My arguments in support were:

Reducing costs to the NHS/ costs relating to smoking issues could be redistributed to other costs. Such as tackling obesity/diabetes and developing A&E departments.
Already success of current ban (17% drop in heart attacks following its introduction)/ banning of tobacco marketing already taking place in stores like Tesco etc....
Increasing life expectancy and reducing health problems.
Discouraging the younger generation to smoke/ the effects of passive smoking on lung cancer and pregnant women.

My arguments against were

People may remain to smoke indoors and majority of people believe other methods may be more successful.

Does this sound ok?
Reply 1677
Original post by xoJennyox
I think you fail if you don't use all the sources...sorry :s-smilie:.

Ehh, I've never been taught this...
Original post by skier16
If your arguments are sound and you've included rebuttals then that's fine. We were only told to do 3 arguments for and 2 against anyway.:smile:

Aww right ok! :smile:
Sorry to be constantly aggravating everyone with questions, but did anyone else find that their DME was very poorly written? I suppose it's down to the fact that we simply do not have very much time to perfect our writing style. Some of my phrasing sounded like that of a five year old. In terms of my actual handwriting, it was pretty shoddy as well, yet I did write a wee apology to the marker.

I feel the exact same way. Due to the time limit we need to get straight to the point and as a result write quite poorly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending