The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Science Firmers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Firmed Molecular Biology finally been stressing for so long then just thought f*** York, Sheffield is way more fun! Plus no ecology! :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
Original post by amholcroft
Firmed Molecular Biology finally been stressing for so long then just thought f*** York, Sheffield is way more fun! Plus no ecology! :biggrin:

Yeah York was the other Uni that I was torn between! But I totally agree that Sheffield has more going on!
Reply 22
Original post by FayeLauraa
Yeah York was the other Uni that I was torn between! But I totally agree that Sheffield has more going on!

I jsut hope people choose York in case I slip a grade!
Reply 23

First year Molecular biologist here

Did exactly the same thing!!!!! York even told me why did you reject us.. felt a bit bad, though don't really regret it (was my insurance)

For MBB students, as we're called, 3 heads ups about the teaching staff:
1) You will hate/like Professor Roger Anderson and his Plasmodium
2) You will hate Dr Mitchell if he taught you guys Molecular Bio
3) You will definitely love Dr Wainwright! He is the most awesome lecturer in the world. Every lecture is like playing Fifa 2013 or diving somewhere in the atlantic ocean

Just remember Wainwright, we even created a facebook page called 'Wainwright appreciation society' if I recall
Reply 24
Original post by Jodie_668
Firmed for Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology :biggrin: So excited/petrified for September!

Hah! Good luck with Professor Julie Gray and her tough essay marking next year

Ask me anything, doing Biochem and Molecular bio

First year, though Gray might not be your first year tutor, just most likely
Reply 25
Original post by Masoudy
Hah! Good luck with Professor Julie Gray and her tough essay marking next year

Ask me anything, doing Biochem and Molecular bio

First year, though Gray might not be your first year tutor, just most likely

Maybe I ought to start brushing up on my essay writing skills then, haha
I was wondering what the hours are like each day because I hear a lot about how science students get quite a lot of hours.
Also do people find practical lab sessions difficult during the first year, being as clumsy as I am they are not exactly my strong point!
Reply 26
Maybe I ought to start brushing up on my essay writing skills then, haha
I was wondering what the hours are like each day because I hear a lot about how science students get quite a lot of hours.
Also do people find practical lab sessions difficult during the first year, being as clumsy as I am they are not exactly my strong point!

We get 3 lecture on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and 3 hours labs on Thursday and Friday (labs only on Thursday and Friday)

Our timetable is actually not that bad, we don't really get lectures past 2pm

Labs depend on you really. I've struggled a bit in September/October, now passing them like butter

It is just the pipetting technique and the usual lab protocols, once you know them, you will find them as easy as 1 + 1
Reply 27
Does anyone know anything about biological chemistry? (As opposed to just chemistry). I've applied for chemistry but I called them and they said if I wanted to switch I'd be able to, but I just can't decide!
Reply 28
Original post by Masoudy
We get 3 lecture on Monday, 3 on Tuesday, 2 on Wednesday and 3 hours labs on Thursday and Friday (labs only on Thursday and Friday)

Our timetable is actually not that bad, we don't really get lectures past 2pm

Labs depend on you really. I've struggled a bit in September/October, now passing them like butter

It is just the pipetting technique and the usual lab protocols, once you know them, you will find them as easy as 1 + 1

That sounds good, thanks for the reply!! :biggrin:
Also, how much time to people tend to spend on work outside of contact hours in the first year?
And did you have to spend much on books when you first started? Or is it quite easy to get your hands on second hand books?
Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 29
That sounds good, thanks for the reply!! :biggrin:
Also, how much time to people tend to spend on work outside of contact hours in the first year?
And did you have to spend much on books when you first started? Or is it quite easy to get your hands on second hand books?
Sorry for all the questions!

- Depends on you really, I know two French students who're really smart / getting highest marks
- One've them said she only spends like one day a week (Saturday) in the library from 2pm till 11pm to finish all the note-rewriting/review/work/reading of the week's lectures

- For me, I just do the reading 3 days before any mid module exam, and passed most of the mid modules with a 2.1. Though you should do more and aim for a first in first year

- Fell to the trap of Professor Anderson's "book deal" like instead of paying £220 for the 4 required books you would pay about £175
- You should really check the student union's website for any second hand book. They offer most second hand books there (or Amazon). Though my friend wants to sell his Biochemistry textbook, pm me if you're interested in that next year

- About that, you'll need 4 textbooks: Biochemistry (by Berg, often called Stryer), Concept of Genetics, Brock biology of Microorganisms and Molecular cell Biology (by Lodish)

Though they might change the recommended textbooks next year, so don't start hunting till intro week when they specify the recommended textbooks
DEAR ALL MBB PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
My name is Arron Dougan and I am the newly elected president of MBBsoc, a student led society who represents Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology and Molecular Biology courses within the University of Sheffield.

As you may or may not know Sheffield’s Students Union is the best student union in the country! As a student society we aim to make sure everybody within MBB is having the best time possible, through Both INCREDIBLE themed nights out and other events such as quizzes and paintballing! We are currently looking into a trip abroad for next year.

We are also passionate about academic and personal development. We hope to work with organizations’ such as TeachFirst and Science Brainwaves to provide students with volunteering and outreach opportunities. Fundraising for charity is also something we enjoy doing- I hope to see you all getting involved! For all those who enjoy sport we have a Hockey, Netball and Football team! We are also looking to set up an MBBsoc running club (Healthy body = Healthy Mind :wink:)

Finally, we work to support your studies, through organizing revision sessions in the exam season and inviting guest speakers to present. This helps to enrich your knowledge outside the core curriculum.

If any of you have any queries, no matter how big or small, about anything to do with University / The Course/ Nights Out/Sports, please feel free to contact me on here, or email me at [email protected].

Best Of Luck In Your Exams!
And I will hopefully see you all in Freshers Week :smile:
Firmed Sheffield for Biomedical Sciences =3

I can't wait!

Now back to what I was doing: revise revise revise revise revise....
Reply 32
Anyone know where to apply for accommodation???
Reply 33
Original post by amholcroft
Anyone know where to apply for accommodation???

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/online-ac...48FA0B6BA78B4B, go to this link:smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Masoudy
- Depends on you really, I know two French students who're really smart / getting highest marks
- One've them said she only spends like one day a week (Saturday) in the library from 2pm till 11pm to finish all the note-rewriting/review/work/reading of the week's lectures

- For me, I just do the reading 3 days before any mid module exam, and passed most of the mid modules with a 2.1. Though you should do more and aim for a first in first year

- Fell to the trap of Professor Anderson's "book deal" like instead of paying £220 for the 4 required books you would pay about £175
- You should really check the student union's website for any second hand book. They offer most second hand books there (or Amazon). Though my friend wants to sell his Biochemistry textbook, pm me if you're interested in that next year

- About that, you'll need 4 textbooks: Biochemistry (by Berg, often called Stryer), Concept of Genetics, Brock biology of Microorganisms and Molecular cell Biology (by Lodish)

Though they might change the recommended textbooks next year, so don't start hunting till intro week when they specify the recommended textbooks

Thanks so much, really appreciate your answers! :biggrin:
I'll let you know about your friends textbook when I hopefully get my results.
Firmed Physics and Astrophysics Bsc :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Firmed Bsc Plant Science :biggrin:

Looking around this and other sites I am getting the feeling that I may be the only one on the course!

Anyone else studying plant science?
Original post by Jammy11
Firmed Bsc Plant Science :biggrin:

Looking around this and other sites I am getting the feeling that I may be the only one on the course!

Anyone else studying plant science?

Yeah, there aren't many, between 1 and 4 each year. (Good for job prospects though :smile: )
Does anyone know anything about biological chemistry? (As opposed to just chemistry). I've applied for chemistry but I called them and they said if I wanted to switch I'd be able to, but I just can't decide!

There won't be many of you doing biological chem, i think theres fewer of them than there are of us doing study in europe, and there's only 6 of us for that! By the looks of the website, you gradually do more and more biology as the years go by. You could always ask to be registered as biological chem and if you don't like it during the first three weeks (known as the add/drop period) you can change to 'straight' chemistry. It sounds like a massive faff, but it actually isnt.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending