The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Unsure on which accommodation to choose?

I've been trying to pick for a few weeks now and just can't make up my mind:/ I was thinking either a townhouse (because they look pretty nice and aren't that expensive) or an ensuite room like at Lonsdale or something. What do you guys think? I'd also be interested to hear where you're staying and what's good/bad about it?:-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Le Wookie
I've been trying to pick for a few weeks now and just can't make up my mind:/ I was thinking either a townhouse (because they look pretty nice and aren't that expensive) or an ensuite room like at Lonsdale or something. What do you guys think? I'd also be interested to hear where you're staying and what's good/bad about it?:-)

Hi there!

Townhouses are brilliant- You get a huge kitchen, dining and living space with sofas, and the general look of them is great. Also cheaper then superior ensuite. However one downside is you have to share a toilet and shower, so it's up to you whether you'd feel prepared to do this!

I'm talking from superior ensuite view here- as in Cartmel every room is just that. You have up to 8 people in a flat, you get your own en-suite and share just the kitchen. It is more expensive though, however I know for myself, paying the extra money was worth having my own toilet and shower!

Lonsdale is also completely superior en-suite. From a biased opinion, if you wanted superior en-suite, I'd say pick Cartmel :tongue: But of course, that's up to you. However both of the colleges are literally right next to each other, so you're not particularly saving any walking distance time for example, if you pick one over the other!

This pdf is quite useful for seeing what each college offers.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/factsheets/ugsummary.pdf

However the prices aren't right- they are this years. Next years prices are more expensive for every college and every accommodation type, which is annoying. But hey ho.

Hope this was of some help :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey! One thing I would say about townhouses is that sharing with 12 people is sometimes well, difficult. It's ok if you get on with people but when I lived in one (all be it only for a couple of months) there was a lot of bitchiness. The rooms are really nice and I didn't mind sharing a bathroom all that much but I'd recommend a smaller flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Another massive point about a townhouse is that you don't get a cleaner. Coming from a house where you didn't have a cleaner anyway, that sounds really petty/pretentious - but remember you're moving in with 11 others, and you're all going to have to work together to keep it in some sort of fit state, and there will definitely be people who have different standards to others.

I really dislike the ideas of townhouses, and most of the people I know who've lived in them haven't enjoyed them either. (Take that statement with a massive amount of bias, I'm sure there's people who'll stand up and say they loved them.) I think the difference is, if you don't end up with the best flat/housemates, ensuites, or even normal standard accommodation support independent living a bit more that a townhouse, and that could be a nice safety blanket. :smile:
Original post by CartmelCollege
Hi there!

Townhouses are brilliant- You get a huge kitchen, dining and living space with sofas, and the general look of them is great. Also cheaper then superior ensuite. However one downside is you have to share a toilet and shower, so it's up to you whether you'd feel prepared to do this!

I'm talking from superior ensuite view here- as in Cartmel every room is just that. You have up to 8 people in a flat, you get your own en-suite and share just the kitchen. It is more expensive though, however I know for myself, paying the extra money was worth having my own toilet and shower!

Lonsdale is also completely superior en-suite. From a biased opinion, if you wanted superior en-suite, I'd say pick Cartmel :tongue: But of course, that's up to you. However both of the colleges are literally right next to each other, so you're not particularly saving any walking distance time for example, if you pick one over the other!

This pdf is quite useful for seeing what each college offers.
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/factsheets/ugsummary.pdf

However the prices aren't right- they are this years. Next years prices are more expensive for every college and every accommodation type, which is annoying. But hey ho.

Hope this was of some help :smile:

Hi, I was thinking of putting Cartmel down myself but somebody told me it was really out of the way from the rest of the campus. How long does it take to walk to the campus centre from there?

Also, is there enough room in the kitchens for all eight people? I remember them being quite small but I may be thinking of a different uni I saw. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Hi, I was thinking of putting Cartmel down myself but somebody told me it was really out of the way from the rest of the campus. How long does it take to walk to the campus centre from there?

Also, is there enough room in the kitchens for all eight people? I remember them being quite small but I may be thinking of a different uni I saw. :rolleyes:

It takes 10-15 minutes, it means you have to walk further to the shops too. The kitchens are definitely big enough for eight people, there's a lot of space and you can have multiple cupboards each. You will only get one fridge and freezer shelf though, but that's probably the same everywhere. I have a full fridge and I'm only sharing with one other person since people have left. There's also two sinks, two ovens etc.
Original post by Nashy19
It takes 10-15 minutes, it means you have to walk further to the shops too. The kitchens are definitely big enough for eight people, there's a lot of space and you can have multiple cupboards each. You will only get one fridge and freezer shelf though, but that's probably the same everywhere. I have a full fridge and I'm only sharing with one other person since people have left. There's also two sinks, two ovens etc.

Thanks very much!

Does the cycle path from the uni go straight into town, and is there somewhere to leave and lock your bike up in town? Also, how long does it take to cycle/walk down there?

Thanks! :wink:

Yeah as someone else has already said, 10-15 minutes depending on where you need to go.

However it totally depends on your course haha, I study Advertising & Marketing, and to get to my lectures and seminars only takes me 5 minutes!

The walking time isn't any problem though in my opinion, I know for me I walked an awful lot more when I was at school!!

And yes the kitchens are huge, enough room for 8. You get 1 freezer shelf, 1 fridge shelf, and usually 2 cupboards each, although there are usually big cupboards under the sink that are free to chuck your stuff in too (I have :tongue:). This is pretty much the same in all colleges.

Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Thanks very much!

Does the cycle path from the uni go straight into town, and is there somewhere to leave and lock your bike up in town? Also, how long does it take to cycle/walk down there?

Thanks! :wink:

Yes (although only the first bit of it is cycle path, most of it is down roads), yes to the second, and about 20mins? Depending how you cycle.
Reply 9
Why choose Furness College? :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4e790tuLcw
Original post by lampshade1
Why choose Furness College? :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4e790tuLcw

You beat us to it :biggrin:

En-suite accommodation in Furness is shown from 3:45~ onwards in the video.

I am a current Furness Fresher and find that my current accommodation, upgraded standard, is more than adequate. If you are after en-suite then you are looking at eight people to a kitchen. I would say that you should consider where your college is for your lectures. I wanted a college fairly central so that it doesn't take overly long in the mornings - Furness and Fylde colleges are five minutes max to where I have my lectures and seminars, whereas this time could be quarter of an hour or more from some of the south-west colleges. Feel free to quote or message us if you have any more questions. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by FurnessCollege
You beat us to it :biggrin:

En-suite accommodation in Furness is shown from 3:45~ onwards in the video.

I am a current Furness Fresher and find that my current accommodation, upgraded standard, is more than adequate. If you are after en-suite then you are looking at eight people to a kitchen. I would say that you should consider where your college is for your lectures. I wanted a college fairly central so that it doesn't take overly long in the mornings - Furness and Fylde colleges are five minutes max to where I have my lectures and seminars, whereas this time could be quarter of an hour or more from some of the south-west colleges. Feel free to quote or message us if you have any more questions. :smile:

This is a relatively weird question but do any of the accommodation types have lounge areas in the communal parts of the flats? :smile: thanks for any help you can give

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CHeyes5
This is a relatively weird question but do any of the accommodation types have lounge areas in the communal parts of the flats? :smile: thanks for any help you can give

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there, the only flats that I'm aware of with such lounges are the townhouses in County and Grizedale. These are shared between twelve people and have a large kitchen, dining area and lounge.

Part of the experience of standard and en-suite accommodation are the somewhat legendary kitchens which become the social hubs of the flats. Personally, I've never found a massive need for a lounge - the kitchen is where we all come together as a flat for pre-drinks or just chilling, and if we want somewhere to meet up with other people or hang out for a while, there is a lot of college space including a large TV room.

Also, it's a fair question - not weird at all - so feel free to ask anymore :smile:
Reply 13
Hey there, the only flats that I'm aware of with such lounges are the townhouses in County and Grizedale. These are shared between twelve people and have a large kitchen, dining area and lounge.

Part of the experience of standard and en-suite accommodation are the somewhat legendary kitchens which become the social hubs of the flats. Personally, I've never found a massive need for a lounge - the kitchen is where we all come together as a flat for pre-drinks or just chilling, and if we want somewhere to meet up with other people or hang out for a while, there is a lot of college space including a large TV room.

Also, it's a fair question - not weird at all - so feel free to ask anymore :smile:

Personally dont want to be in a townhouse chosen superior ensuite. Just trying to figure out on which college.

When does the accommodation applications open, and because I have an unconditional will I be guaranteed my first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CHeyes5
Personally dont want to be in a townhouse chosen superior ensuite. Just trying to figure out on which college.

When does the accommodation applications open, and because I have an unconditional will I be guaranteed my first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the majority of colleges are good places to be, and most people do come out of university saying that their college was the best because of their experiences there.

However, I'd say the things to think about are the size and location of the colleges. Two of the main reasons that I personally chose Furness as my college was that I wanted a community feel to my college, so a fairly small one, and a fairly central college so that I didn't have to trek far to lectures early in the mornings.

Each college does tend to have a reputation for what they're like as well, although I'd be wary of this as each college does have a real mix of people in it.

Have you narrowed your choice of college down at all, or are you still considering any with superior en-suite?

As to applications, I think they open in early June, though I'm not sure exactly on the date - they send an email out to everyone once they decided to open it. I don't think that anyone particularly gets preference on their first choice, although I haven't heard anyone say that they didn't get their first choice, so I think most people (especially if Lancaster is your first choice) should most likely get where they want. :smile:
Reply 15
I think the majority of colleges are good places to be, and most people do come out of university saying that their college was the best because of their experiences there.

However, I'd say the things to think about are the size and location of the colleges. Two of the main reasons that I personally chose Furness as my college was that I wanted a community feel to my college, so a fairly small one, and a fairly central college so that I didn't have to trek far to lectures early in the mornings.

Each college does tend to have a reputation for what they're like as well, although I'd be wary of this as each college does have a real mix of people in it.

Have you narrowed your choice of college down at all, or are you still considering any with superior en-suite?

As to applications, I think they open in early June, though I'm not sure exactly on the date - they send an email out to everyone once they decided to open it. I don't think that anyone particularly gets preference on their first choice, although I haven't heard anyone say that they didn't get their first choice, so I think most people (especially if Lancaster is your first choice) should most likely get where they want. :smile:

I am between Furness, fylde and grizedale. Definitely want superior ensuite which they all have. Furness appeals to me coz i'm going to study biomed so its really close and as you said the community feel. I also like the sound of a 15 hour bar crawl.

I have firmed Lancaster, and as its an unconditional definitely moving there this September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Just to confirm, you get no preference accommodation-wise for having an unconditional offer. Also, choose Furness. :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by `Chris
Just to confirm, you get no preference accommodation-wise for having an unconditional offer. Also, choose Furness. :tongue:

I assume you stay in Furness then haha. What made you choose that college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Is fylde college any good? I kind of like the sport reputation but it also looked quite good when I went on my campus tour, anybody who is there what is it like?
Reply 19
Original post by Shudson
Is fylde college any good? I kind of like the sport reputation but it also looked quite good when I went on my campus tour, anybody who is there what is it like?

Ignore the sports reputation, it means next to nothing. It's nice enough, and has the advantage of having two types of acommodation, so when you're a poor 3rd year, you still have the option to come back and live in the cheap(er) stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending