The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6CH07/01- May 8th 2013 - AS Chemistry Unit 3B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Relaxedexams
How many marks was that? Damn I said black solid disappears. Totally forgot iodine forms a purple solution with non polar solvents :s-smilie:

Maybe they will mark both since all iodine will not dissolve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they'll mark...I had forgotten about that D:
Reply 161
How many marks was the iodo butane question and how much do they give the final Mark out of ,is it 100
Reply 162
Original post by sahashuvo
Hydrogen Iodide has enough reducing power to reduce Concentrated Sulfuric acid so yield would be lower.

Oops got that wrong...anyway thanks!!
Error x2
Therefore error is 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher told me to never multiply by 2 for the new exams cause i did that in my mock n got it wrong :s-smilie:. Omg no. Serious like for sure?
thanx though :smile:
Yep. That is what I got. % error = 2.15? And you rounded it to 2.2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2.19 something so i kept it to 2s.f. Will i still get the mark?What do u reckon?
Original post by awesomesoccerfan
I got 2.19 something so i kept it to 2s.f. Will i still get the mark?What do u reckon?

Im guessing you used 47 as temperature change? I used temperature change of solution. Either way they will most probably award marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rockstar101
My teacher told me to never multiply by 2 for the new exams cause i did that in my mock n got it wrong :s-smilie:. Omg no. Serious like for sure?
thanx though :smile:

You have to take two temperature readings, so there will be 2 errors of 0.5. Total error = 2 (0.5)=1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im guessing you used 47 as temperature change? I used temperature change of solution. Either way they will most probably award marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used 45.6(actual difference used during enthalpy change calculation). 1/45.6 x 100 and got 2.19.
Original post by awesomesoccerfan
I used 45.6(actual difference used during enthalpy change calculation). 1/45.6 x 100 and got 2.19.

That is what I did. Maybe I got 2.19 as well :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
When drawing the distillation are we allowed to use a pencil??? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question 'why thiosulfate is used to wash the mixture instead of water', is it because iodobutane does not mix with water so it cannot be washed? If you reckon my answer is wrong, what's your answer?
Original post by MrNevermind
For the question 'why thiosulfate is used to wash the mixture instead of water', is it because iodobutane does not mix with water so it cannot be washed? If you reckon my answer is wrong, what's your answer?

The only places thiosulphate exists in our specs is in reaction of halogens and iodometric titrations (iodine with thiosulpate).
So to remove unreacted iodine by reduction to iodide ions which dissolves in the aqueous layer and can be removed by separation.
So answer is adding just water does not dissolve iodine but thiosulphate solution does.

Always reflect the specification, or is there another answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey do any of you have the question paper like for bio it was posted up. Pls post this one as well. I just want to clarify some question. Thanx in advance :smile: can i find it on scribd?
What's the empirical formula in the first question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tamerdakkak
What's the empirical formula in the first question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

C3H8O or C3H7OH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by KhawlaM
You are probably right. I forgot about the organic solvent, so I wrote instead that the brown color will disappear :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey alcohol is polar right?? it can form hydrogen bonds with water..when iodine dissolves in polar solvents it gives a brown color. so shouldnt it be brown???
Reply 177
You have to take two temperature readings, so there will be 2 errors of 0.5. Total error = 2 (0.5)=1

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you take the temperature difference wont the error cancel out? i mean 100-0 is 100 and 101-1 is also a hundred. so even if error was present in the thermometer reading the temperature difference obtained would still be accurate right??
What's the answer for the "why do we use dilute sodium thiosulphate solution instead of water?" question??

AND BTW..i failed in my physics unit3B exam... TT____TT
I made ONE mistake and it cost my whole ques...I'm crying sooo much nowwww..
Reply 179
can any1 pls tell me what to read on chemistry unit 1?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending