The Student Room Group

The Everton FC Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IdeasForLife
Well if he does leave, hopefully we find a good replacement. If its someone like Mark Hughes Ima facepalm.

You should go for Pellegrini, he would do a magnificient job at Everton. I hope the likes of Fellaini and Baines stay, because Moyes built a really good side and it would be a shame to see all of your best players leave.
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh Moyes was going to leave sooner or later. He's reached as far as he was going to with Everton (other than a possible cup win) - the club just doesn't have the finances to match his long term ambitions.

True

Original post by TheInvincibles14
You should go for Pellegrini, he would do a magnificient job at Everton. I hope the likes of Fellaini and Baines stay, because Moyes built a really good side and it would be a shame to see all of your best players leave.

Doubt Pellegrini would leave Malaga for Everton =p
True

Yeah that's the problem, Everton aren't exactly the most prestigious club, I guess he'll have offers from bigger teams. Moyes did a unbelieveable job, he'll get a fantastic ovation when he returns to Goodison.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Yeah that's the problem, Everton aren't exactly the most prestigious club, I guess he'll have offers from bigger teams. Moyes did a unbelieveable job, he'll get a fantastic ovation when he returns to Goodison.

Need him to leave first for the return lol, tho I wish he does get the job. Deserves a go, big time.
Reply 24
Original post by bluenose14
It looks nailed on. Massive summer coming up for us. I can see a few players looking to leave now.

Yh can see Fellaini and Baines in especially following Moyes to United.
Reply 25
True

Both are pretty crap financially but pellegrini might as well wait for a top job where he's not screwed over by the owner.
Reply 26
It looks nailed on. Massive summer coming up for us. I can see a few players looking to leave now.

I'd be interested to hear from a blue like yourself what your view on Moyes would be if he signs for Manchester United today or tomorrow?

My expectation would be that he'd get a great send off, supporters wouldn't be bitter and would understand his decision for a number of reasons, but I'd welcome your views.

And I'd also be interested to hear who you would like to replace him.
From the rumblings i hear from Cardiff fans they're rather worried Malky Mackay might in line to replace Moyes if he does go to United.

Can see you dropping a bit now - not too much but behind Liverpool definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
I'd be interested to hear from a blue like yourself what your view on Moyes would be if he signs for Manchester United today or tomorrow?

My expectation would be that he'd get a great send off, supporters wouldn't be bitter and would understand his decision for a number of reasons, but I'd welcome your views.

And I'd also be interested to hear who you would like to replace him.

I think he'll be a success at United. At the end of the day the squad will be the same as this year. And, he's already shown that he can spot bargains in the transfer market many times.
I can understand United fans being sceptical when you compare him to Mourinho or Klopp but you have to factor in that Ferguson would likely have had a big say in who he thinks should succeed him. He's definitely not the type of person who'll be unable to control big name players.

From an Everton perspective, I think it's pretty much like you've said. Most people will be disappointed but will fully understand why he wants to leave Everton. He's leaving a cash strapped club to join arguably the biggest in the world. I think he'll rightly get a good reception on Sunday. It won't be a legend's exit or anything because he hasn't won anything but he has changed us from perennial relegation strugglers to a team that can compete in the top half of the league every season.

My choice to replace him would be Laudrup but he apparently has a 5-10 million buy out clause so that will probably put us off. Martinez seems like the likely one, but personally I feel a bit underwhelmed by him. Much rather have him than someone of O'Neill's or Mark Hughes' ilk though. Other managers I'd consider would be Di Matteo, Lambert, Steve Clarke or someone from abroad with a good record. Worrying times to be an Everton fan though.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Can see you dropping a bit now - not too much but behind Liverpool definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will depend on the new manager. God forbid Everton get Mark Hughes or someone similar.
Reply 32
I think he'll be a success at United. At the end of the day the squad will be the same as this year. And, he's already shown that he can spot bargains in the transfer market many times.
I can understand United fans being sceptical when you compare him to Mourinho or Klopp but you have to factor in that Ferguson would likely have had a big say in who he thinks should succeed him. He's definitely not the type of person who'll be unable to control big name players.

From an Everton perspective, I think it's pretty much like you've said. Most people will be disappointed but will fully understand why he wants to leave Everton. He's leaving a cash strapped club to join arguably the biggest in the world. I think he'll rightly get a good reception on Sunday. It won't be a legend's exit or anything because he hasn't won anything but he has changed us from perennial relegation strugglers to a team that can compete in the top half of the league every season.

My choice to replace him would be Laudrup but he apparently has a 5-10 million buy out clause so that will probably put us off. Martinez seems like the likely one, but personally I feel a bit underwhelmed by him. Much rather have him than someone of O'Neill's or Mark Hughes' ilk though. Other managers I'd consider would be Di Matteo, Lambert, Steve Clarke or someone from abroad with a good record. Worrying times to be an Everton fan though.

Fantastic post.

I do believe he will be a success here. And to be honest, he's the man I wanted. It's easy to get drawn into the 'Carnival' of Mourinho as somebody else posted, but Moyes fits the ethos of the club. And those criticising should know this is Sir Alex's choice. I agree that he will be able to control players.

Great to hear about the reception.

I think you'll be just fine. It will depend on who stays and who goes. Do you think Fellaini and Baines will stay? Hughes and O'Neill are a disappointment for me. Lambert or RDM would be fantastic, better than Martinez.
Malky Mackay for Everton. All day long.
Original post by Zürich
Malky Mackay for Everton. All day long.

Wouldn't mind giving him a shot.
Wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

Steve Clarke would be decent as well
Reply 36
It's worrying as an Everton fan, as it would be for those of any club which has been managed for so long by one man.

However, risk also brings opportunity. I'd trade in our season for Swansea's for example as I want a bit of silverware. Hopefully our new manager will bring some exciting times going forward.

Thanks for stabilising this grand, old club Moyes. I don't begrudge you a shot at the very elite level.
Reply 37
Original post by Zürich
Steve Clarke would be decent as well

Aye mate, had a decent season with WBA and I think he could handle the step up if it happened.
Original post by Eboracum
Fantastic post.

I do believe he will be a success here. And to be honest, he's the man I wanted. It's easy to get drawn into the 'Carnival' of Mourinho as somebody else posted, but Moyes fits the ethos of the club. And those criticising should know this is Sir Alex's choice. I agree that he will be able to control players.

Great to hear about the reception.

I think you'll be just fine. It will depend on who stays and who goes. Do you think Fellaini and Baines will stay? Hughes and O'Neill are a disappointment for me. Lambert or RDM would be fantastic, better than Martinez.

Yeah, I agree with that.
I'd be surprised if Fellaini is still an Everton player come the end of August. He seems to want out. I've already resigned myself to losing him really. I can see him going to Chelsea or maybe Moyes will fancy him, who knows.

I'd guess that Baines is less likely to go but I wouldn't be too surpised if he did. I'd definitely be more gutted if he did too. I'd say United is the most likely destination if he leaves. Moyes would go down in a lot of Evertonian's estimations if he comes straight back to sign players though, no doubt about that.

As long as we get good money for them which is actually given to the new manager then it shouldn't be the end of the world.
Reply 39
Mm, I agree that Fellaini looks likely to leave (possibly to United?). Are you guys still supposedly in for Leroy Fer? I think he could come in a do a decent job for you; he's not as much of a driving presence as Fellaini, but he can provide a physical presence and do the simple things right. He's also very versatile, and has played almost everywhere from striker to right-back. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest