The Student Room Group

Amylose, Amylopectin, Starch, Glycogen and Cellulose!

This is all from memory, can you check if this correct and where I can improve. Please and thanks! :smile:

Amylose is alpha glucose, forming straight chains

Amylopectin is also alpha glucose, highly branched instead of forming chains; together they form Starch

Starch is a mixture of Amylose and Amylopectin, it's insoluble; and is used as the storage molecule for plants.

Glycogen is made up of alpha glucose, it's highly branched and has short chains, it's the storage molecule for animals.

Cellulose is made up of beta glucose, linear molecule forming plant cell walls; it has other structural properties
Reply 1
very good, but you could also put more about how the glucose bonds together (1,4 glycosidic bonds) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Amber May
very good, but you could also put more about how the glucose bonds together (1,4 glycosidic bonds) :smile:

Okay thanks :smile:, you also sitting F212?
Reply 3
Original post by R1C3W1N3
Okay thanks :smile:, you also sitting F212?

Yeah ,OCR :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah ,OCR :smile:

Yeah, we have exactly one month!
Do you know of any revision sites, or threads on tsr
How's your revision going?
Reply 5
Yeah, we have exactly one month!
Do you know of any revision sites, or threads on tsr
How's your revision going?

one month, wow that's scary!! Revisions going ok, but i'm really focusing on maths at the moment as its in one week. S-cool.co.uk has some good stuff and so does biologyguide.net, how about you, hows revision going? :smile:
Reply 6
one month, wow that's scary!! Revisions going ok, but i'm really focusing on maths at the moment as its in one week. S-cool.co.uk has some good stuff and so does biologyguide.net, how about you, hows revision going? :smile:

Study leave from this friday, so hopefully I can re-revise thoroughly. Thanks :smile: I'll try those sites out

Just gone through all the carbs on molecules that stuffs okay, we just finished biodiversity and health and I have to go through that (again) now, think I'm "on-track" might try a past paper tomorrow

I'm on tsr for revision so gimme a shout if you wanna revise or need help
Reply 7
Study leave from this friday, so hopefully I can re-revise thoroughly. Thanks :smile: I'll try those sites out

Just gone through all the carbs on molecules that stuffs okay, we just finished biodiversity and health and I have to go through that (again) now, think I'm "on-track" might try a past paper tomorrow

I'm on tsr for revision so gimme a shout if you wanna revise or need help

hi did a mock today it went ok but one of the questions was: Why is a dichotomous key called a dichotomous key? and i have no idea, help! feel free to ask anything as well :smile:
Reply 8
hi did a mock today it went ok but one of the questions was: Why is a dichotomous key called a dichotomous key? and i have no idea, help! feel free to ask anything as well :smile:

Hey! I had that mock too:smile:

It's because there are two answer available, hence dichotomous :smile:
Reply 9

Original post by tssf_skye
Hey! I had that mock too:smile:

It's because there are two answer available, hence dichotomous :smile:

Skye, thanks for the answer +1

Can you tell me which exam it was?
I'm on study leave now and will be revising biology, should I upload my notes?
Skye, thanks for the answer +1

Can you tell me which exam it was?
I'm on study leave now and will be revising biology, should I upload my notes?

It was the Jan 2013 paper :smile: It was a nice paper actually, wasn't too tricky.
Yeah, upload your notes!
As well as knowing their structure you need to know how this related to their function / how their structure is advantageous. For example, glycogen is highly branched giving it a large surface area on which it can be hydrolysed.
Im sorry to say it, but thats really quite bad

Amylose is alpha glucose, forming straight chains - amylose is not glucose and vice versa

Amylopectin is also alpha glucose, highly branched instead of forming chains; together they form Starch - same thing.. a-glucose is a CONSTITUENT of amylopectin, plus here you have said that it doesnt form chains as it is branched. Sorry, but it forms branched CHAINS.

Glycogen is made up of alpha glucose, it's highly branched and has short chains, it's the storage molecule for animals see you said it yourself.. though, glycogen isnt the only storage molecule, so are fats and ATP
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending