The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by muf_mur
hope these help

These Notes are great! :smile: Do you have any for the Paper 8 next week?
Thank you!
Reply 121
I always seem to have a problem in finding the most easiest thing the GRADIENT of the graph!My answers do not match with range given in the markscheme.I do use the triangle method to find it but it never matches.Can anyone please help!Please explain using Jan13 Q6d....ASAP!
Just did a paper in 30 mins this should be going well tomorrow boosting my confidence for other exams.
Reply 123
Help! Can someone help explain Jan 2012, everything from qu8d) and onwards? Completely lost from there.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by leafy9
Help! Can someone help explain Jan 2012, everything from qu8d) and onwards? Completely lost from there.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

This has to do with the energy of the EMITTED photon (same as the kinetic energy of the emitted photon)((ALSO rmember eV IS simply charge by voltage which is a measurement for energy!!!)) being equal to the energy of the Incident(absorbed) photon minus the work function... So for Question 8d you simply have to state points like

- It is a straight line as it resembles the formula for a straight line i.e y=mx +c where e,h are constants....T

- The slope of the graph of a straight line would be the constant m but in the formula given, the slope will be simply H/e (remeber to ALWAYS make it in the form of Y=mx+c in this case V = (h/e)f + (phi/e)....so to find plancks constant simply multiply by e (elementary charge 1.6 x 10^ -19)

FOr part E just work out what ive said in the second point...not difficult just be careful as usual and show steps..

and for the last step just remember the constant in the equation V = (h/e)f + (phi/e) is the y intercept so just say all you have to do is read off that value and multiply by e...that would be the work function,.
Reply 125
Original post by NilFBosh
So these are the practicals you have to study.

Unit 1 practicals

1) Calculating speed and acceleration using a) Ticker tape
b) Light Gate

2) Calculating acceleration of free fall.

3) Comparing viscosity of liquids, calculating viscosity, terminal velocity and drag force using stokes' law.

4) Calculating young modulus using a copper wire.

Unit 2

1) Measuring the resistivity of a wire

2) Measuring the internal resistance of a cell

3) Finding the condition to obtain optimum power output in the load (Not sure if this experiment is in the syllabus)

4)Verifying the change in resistance of thermistor with temperature

5) Measuring Plancks constant

6) Standing/Stationary waves experiment (Not sure abt this but better to be sure)

If there's something missing pls let me know

you forgot the experiment to determine the constant of a spring
Original post by sakuuuu5
you forgot the experiment to determine the constant of a spring

But shouldn't you wait for 12 hrs before discussing the paper or be banned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why isnt this thread locked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it allowed to store stuff in your cal during the exams?
I just did that for this paper but now I deleted them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before the xam we get a speech telling us to not store things in cal. Remember?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But shouldn't you wait for 12 hrs before discussing the paper or be banned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, we have to wait until midnight UK time. Otherwise a 10 point warning. Plus, technically, if Edexcel traces you, you could get disqualified for that exam you took. You did sign a declaration form stating that you wouldn't participate in such discussion, after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure you're not - though you can get away with it if your teachers don't go around and make sure everyone resets their calculators, which yours obviously didn't.

The rules say no, though, I'm quite sure.
(edited 10 years ago)
Unofficial mark scheme:
1)B 2) D 3)C 4)B 5) C

6) Disscus Advantages and DIs advantages about uncertainty

7)Experiment for Spring constant

8) m = hc/e c = speed of light, e = electron charge

8 part c) Graph ,part d) find plancks constant ,part e)Suggest difference between real constant and your given constant i calculated 5.54x10 -34

btw the way i finished 20mins early :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Guys I did a small mistake when calculating the gradient.. I used my calculation of gradient by using y-0/0-x but the problem is, the graph didn't start at origin. I realized that mistake one minute before the exam ended and couldn't do a thing but look at my paper being taken away knowing I had that nasty little mistake on it. I got h= 4.1*10^-34. How many marks do you think I'll lose?

For the column heading I got it as Mega m-1. I'm sure of it. You could also write it as *10^-3 nm.

For the advantages and disadvantages: With micrometer there is greater precision. For metre rule the student has to do some calculations whereas you only measure with micrometer - no calculations needed. Both have parallax and zero errors which need to be taken into account. Metre rule method has greater reliability as it helps identify anomalies. Is that enough for 4 marks?
Reply 133
heyc guys whr can i get the unit 2 passprs and marking sheme frm 2009 onwrds its not available in the edexcel website
Reply 134
Original post by Gunner121
From June 2009 till June 2012 you can get the mark scheme and the examiner report on this link :
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/physics/Pages/default.aspx

For Jan 2013 the mark scheme (first link) and examiner report (second link) :

http://www.mediafire.com/?5djntd8dd7ykb

http://www.studentforums.biz/index.php?topic=17292.msg502744;topicseen#new

i think for the second link you will have to create an account to access it.

heyc guys whr can i get the unit 2 passprs and marking sheme frm 2009 onwrds its not available in the edexcel website
Original post by Shadow-Man_4
Guys I did a small mistake when calculating the gradient.. I used my calculation of gradient by using y-0/0-x but the problem is, the graph didn't start at origin. I realized that mistake one minute before the exam ended and couldn't do a thing but look at my paper being taken away knowing I had that nasty little mistake on it. I got h= 4.1*10^-34. How many marks do you think I'll lose?

For the column heading I got it as Mega m-1. I'm sure of it. You could also write it as *10^-3 nm.

For the advantages and disadvantages: With micrometer there is greater precision. For metre rule the student has to do some calculations whereas you only measure with micrometer - no calculations needed. Both have parallax and zero errors which need to be taken into account. Metre rule method has greater reliability as it helps identify anomalies. Is that enough for 4 marks?

mega m^-1 should have been microm^-1,mustn't it?
Because to get 1/lambda they had first divided by 10^3 converting the nm to micrometer then inversed it.

A unit and its prefix go as one unit, doesn't it? So mega m-1 isnt mega^-1 m^-1.
In chemistry we have done IR spectroscopy. The wavelength of IR was in cm and when to convert to wave number (number of waves per cm) which was also 1/lambda the units were cm^-1.

So in that question 1/lambda meant number of waves in a micrometer length.

And what about uncertainties which was a must to comment about.
The meter rule method had GREATER uncertainty and you should prove why it was so? ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Relaxedexams
Before the xam we get a speech telling us to not store things in cal. Remember?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they didn't check.
So we can't go home and reload all your answers and check with someone else? For m1?
OK then. Should reset it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mega m^-1 should have been microm^-1,mustn't it?
Because to get 1/lambda they had first divided by 10^3 converting the nm to micrometer then inversed it.

A unit and its prefix go as one unit, doesn't it? So mega m-1 isnt mega^-1 m^-1.
In chemistry we have done IR spectroscopy. The wavelength of IR was in cm and when to convert to wave number (number of waves per cm) which was also 1/lambda the units were cm^-1.

So in that question 1/lambda meant number of waves in a micrometer length.

And what about uncertainties which was a must to comment about.
The meter rule method had GREATER uncertainty and you should prove why it was so? ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's Mega m-1.

First it was nanometres. Or in other words, 109 m10^{-9} \mathrm{ \ m}.

Then, it's converted to micrometers, or 106 m10^{-6} \mathrm{ \ m}.

Then they inversed it. So it becomes 106 m110^{6} \mathrm{ \ m}^{-1}, or Mega m-1.

I'm guessing you forgot to inverse the 10610^{-6}.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aerosports
Unofficial mark scheme:
1)B 2) D 3)C 4)B 5) C

6) Disscus Advantages and DIs advantages about uncertainty

7)Experiment for Spring constant

8) m = hc/e c = speed of light, e = electron charge

8 part c) Graph ,part d) find plancks constant ,part e)Suggest difference between real constant and your given constant i calculated 5.54x10 -34

btw the way i finished 20mins early :smile:

I can't remember the exact choices for the MCQ.

I remember the unit for resistivity was ohm metre, the measurement that didn't need to be taken was mass of the ball, the frequency question was 250 Hz... I can't really remember the other questions.

I actually only got 4×10344 \times 10^{-34} for the Planck constant... and it was a correct graph, through the origin and everything :s-smilie: hopefully that's in the acceptable range of answers
Original post by justinawe
No, it's Mega m-1.

First it was nanometres. Or in other words, 109 m10^{-9} \mathrm{ \ m}.

Then, it's converted to micrometers, or 106 m10^{-6} \mathrm{ \ m}.

Then they inversed it. So it becomes 106 m110^{6} \mathrm{ \ m}^{-1}, or Mega m-1.

I'm guessing you forgot to inverse the 10610^{-6}.

Prefix are considered part of a unit so microm^-1 is 1/microm, which makes sense.

Its a wave number, we studied this in Chem. I might have got confused :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending