The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambry
Sounds good!

thanks !! cause I wasnt sure if i had done enough cause some of the people in my year came out with 4 for each and I was panicking cause I never had that amount
Ii am just so happy that it is over !!!!! but do any of you guys have higher history on tuesday ??
Original post by evalilyXOX
Ii am just so happy that it is over !!!!! but do any of you guys have higher history on tuesday ??

Yup I do. I am just polishing up my current essays :smile:.
Original post by xoJennyox
Yup I do. I am just polishing up my current essays :smile:.

same here. I still havent learned all of mine yet but I am learning them one at a time and then doing timed practice on them.

fingers crossed this one will turn out well like modies !!
I got four arguments for and three arguments against in there. My rebuttal is in the three arguments against so it's cool.:cool:
Original post by evalilyXOX
same here. I still havent learned all of mine yet but I am learning them one at a time and then doing timed practice on them.

fingers crossed this one will turn out well like modies !!

Hehe I am not too worried about History because I have started my revision earlier and I know the content much better. In MS I took a risk and only revised 3/4 of the possible questions. However in History we are given more choice and for the USA unit the 2013 questions are pretty predictable.

I just need to learn every essay and practice my source work. What about you?
For the cabinet question I wrote:
about back bench MP's haha, such good facts:frown:
but i also wrote about examples of the prime minister not consulting his cabinet, 2009 budget and i wrote about select committees
do you think ill atleast PASS?:frown:
Reply 1807
Did any of you do Scottish Government rather than Central?
Original post by xxxred
Did any of you do Scottish Government rather than Central?

Do you mean the question on devolution?
Hehe I am not too worried about History because I have started my revision earlier and I know the content much better. In MS I took a risk and only revised 3/4 of the possible questions. However in History we are given more choice and for the USA unit the 2013 questions are pretty predictable.

I just need to learn every essay and practice my source work. What about you?

i know half of my essays but i havent done any timed practice but i know all of paper 2
For the ethnic minority influence on elections question i kind of panicked and my political progress/who they vote for essay became kind of confused with my knowledge of their influence, even though you talk about them i felt i was doing it wrong and kept stopping to re read.

was i right in doing blacks - how the obama vote 95% many believe is why he won. however used Kerry vs bush examples, spoke about how white turnout is far higher in corilation with population, 7 states not rep'd so they don't bother voting in them to a great extent.

hispanics - swing states decide elections, millions on Spanish advertisement, however local election turnout non existant, 14 states have no hispanic rep so they have significantly low turnout

asians - some politicans believe their 71% democrat vote in 2012 pushed obama over the political finish line, make up 4.8% of the population
however, only 3% registered voters is massively underrepped, studies show they do not have a care about politics and are only influencial to a fractional percent.

natives - don't care about politics, 1% pop, tend to vote democrat - only 0.5% are registered highligting the 3.2 million votes for obama in 2012 was only fractionaly influencial.

when i'm trying to calculate my score in my head i list this one as a 9 because i didn't feel it was very strong, yet i don't know? someone share :colone:
Reply 1811
I don't do modern studies but I have seen everyone on twitter saying it was a really good exam paper which makes me think they're going to make the geography one solid ugh :frown:

Well done to everyone who sat it though! I'm crashing it next year and it sounds like one of the hardest exams
what does everyone think they'll get? i think i've managed to just be inside the A mark, will kick myself if i end up falling just short :frown:
Original post by JackoGeddes
what does everyone think they'll get? i think i've managed to just be inside the A mark, will kick myself if i end up falling just short :frown:

I don't know...I was unable to finish one of my essays and have a horrible feeling that I may have left some sentences unfinished in others. As for my DME, I, for the first time ever, actually managed to get 3 arguments on both sides although I didn't feel some were very substantial. I just calculated that if I were to get a 9 on each essay then I would need 27 on the DME for an A, which is somewhat reassuring, but still. Maybe it went better than I hoped - I thought I'd completely and utterly bombed the prelim yet ended up 4 marks off an A, but I really don't know. I am desperate for an A, I don't care whether it's a scraped/borderline one, but I really don't know. I, like you, will kick myself if I've ended up falling up short. I'm feeling pretty confident for most of my other exams, though. Anyway, I have vowed to try to stop over-analysing the exam because I'm just exacerbating the anxiety and I couldn't get to sleep last night for ages because of it. :s-smilie:
Apologies for the whiney, self-absorbed rant. :smile:

I hope that I have just managed to get an A as well. I managed to complete my essays and provided analysis and statistics but I am not sure whether the examiner will think the same or not :P. And my DME report was, in my honest opinion, pretty weak. Hopefully I have managed to to get around 70%!
I hope that I have just managed to get an A as well. I managed to complete my essays and provided analysis and statistics but I am not sure whether the examiner will think the same or not :P. And my DME report was, in my honest opinion, pretty weak. Hopefully I have managed to to get around 70%!

Exact same as me. for a first i finished all my essays, got everything i wanted to include in but they felt a bit rushed. the DME was difficult to link, got my structure correct but forgot to use a source, BK was really good though. anything over 14/20 would see me good! thinking like 73%ish.

Need to stop stressing about this and move onto biology!
(edited 10 years ago)
Exact same as me. for a first i finished all my essays, got everything i wanted to include in but they felt a bit rushed. the DME was difficult to link, got my structure correct but forgot to use a source, BK was really good though. anything over 14/20 would see me good!

I will be very happy with just 14/20 :smile:. I am sure that I have got 10 marks with the short answer questions. What do you think you received for each essay?
Original post by cheshington
haha my predictions were alright! how did it go for you?

Sorry for the late reply :biggrin: exam went amazing for me haha! got my dream questions!! every question i saw i kept going yessss outloud lol.... thank god i didnt revise for voting behaviour!!!

how did your exam go? :smile:
Original post by amber_sss
Haha yeah! I just wish I had only focused on them! Hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

how well did your exam go? :biggrin: i hope well.

hahahaha!!! They were the ones i focused on the most so i was very happy :smile:!. but how sneaky of the guy who writes the exams to spread the questions to his friends though :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I will be very happy with just 14/20 :smile:. I am sure that I have got 10 marks with the short answer questions. What do you think you received for each essay?

I think i got 10 too.

12 or 13 for my first lifestyle essay, 11 for SA, 10 or 11 for voting systems and like 9 or 10 for the ethnic influence on voting :rolleyes:

at the worst, 12/11/10/9 = 42 + 10 for questions sees me needing not that much for the DME to get an A :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending