The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Football Footballers Show is on at 10 where it is a SAF special, got special guests including Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke, :coma: on Sky Sports 1.

Also, Michael Keane had a very decent season at Leicester and has is a good prospect for the future, been pretty solid with Morgan tbh.
Personally i would want the following;

Out: Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Anderson
In: Fellaini, Baines, Bale

Jones is pretty much flexible and i think with Kagawa, Anderson is pretty much dead weight to us. Rooney has had an okay season, but he is too inconsistent and gets stroppy when he isn't playing well or not receiving the ball. Bale or Ronaldo? I would want Bale for the fact he is younger, he is Welsh :biggrin:, but more to the fact i think Ronaldo would be too much of an expectation and could become a sort of Suarez figure (relying on him). For me Evra is pretty much past it, giving away many fouls because of his reduced pace this season whereas Baines is at the top of his game and currently one of the best in the PL. Fellaini is just a monster that would replace the shrek we have at the moment :colondollar:
Original post by officelinebacker
I personally prefer seeing Kagawa play out wide with the freedom to cut inside, rather than being permanently in the middle of the pitch.
He's been pretty ineffective outwide, its the direct ball through that got him those goals in Germany and caught our attention.
We won't get Bale
Original post by Whitechapel
We won't get Bale

WHY NOT?
Reply 3885
I'll confirm one thing about Moyes lads, he has great charisma in person. He dominates the room and won't take any bull from players/journalists, but he's a true gent with the fans
David Moyes - we are right behind you my man. It is well and truly the end of an unforgettable era and the start, hopefully of a new one.

Six years on a contract shows how much the board want Moyes to be here long-term if he starts to achieve success. We have to win trophies and compete in the big ones so even if we come up short, then there's some positives to take forward.

In regards to transfers, Baines is possibly the only one I can think we might go for but Evra has had a solid season I've felt but Buttner's not convincing at LB for me, seems uncomfortable in that role. Fellaini started the season so well but he's tailed off and I'm not so sure he'd be able to pull off a consistent season after the other but who knows? Maybe joining us might kick-start his mentality and make him improve.

But pressure on Moyes is also about transfers. If he buys a few Everton players and they don't perform then that's a potential stick to be battered at to Moyes but like SAF planned, to make a few signings and let a few go.

Rooney is reportedly open to being convinced to stay but if Moyes persuades him, what's to say Rooney/Moyes might have a bust up and the former might cause another ruck? But if he was dumb enough to do that then the fans would support Moyes, no doubt about that.

What's the plan till Sunday? There's no press conference for Swansea match and I imagine Moyes' unveiling will be after the season's done.
Original post by Aky786UK
What's the plan till Sunday? There's no press conference for Swansea match and I imagine Moyes' unveiling will be after the season's done.

The plan is the same as exactly as it has been for the past 26 years. Sir Alex Ferguson is still the current manager until midnight on June 30th. We have a huge celebration planned this weekend but on the pitch it's business as usual for the last two games.

I'm guessing Ferguson's speech will be immediately after full time on Sunday and then they'll use the Courteeners performance to try and bring the crowd back up into the mood for the title presentation and get the party started. God it's gonna be an emotional one.
Wow, the last couple of days have all happened so fast I'm just now coming to terms with everything. I've tried to post the odd bit here and there on here and social media but I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and post proper thoughts on it all. Even if nobody reads the damn thing it helped me getting it all down in words.

I still find it hard to believe the events of the last two days, like many people I've never known anything other than Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Most of my mates that I go with have also grown up in the Ferguson era, only one or two have ever known our club without that great man in charge so we're all entering this brave new world together. When we all woke up yesterday morning, it was just another day supporting Alex Ferguson's Manchester United, just like every other. It feels like our world was turned upside down and there's no guarantee things will ever be the same. I said a few days ago celebrate every trophy as if its the last because you never know what the future holds. I believe the future is bright here, but I can't say it with any certainty, none of us can.

When I first met Sir Alex I was only about six and too young to take it all in, we went up to The Cliff where United used to train and met the squad that won the second league and cup double. I never realised then how much of an impact the man would have on my life. Ferguson has had a greater impact on my life than any other public figure in history, I really believe that. This club, under his leadership, has made my life so much better than it would be otherwise. All the memories I've gathered over the years, all the moments, the games, the goals. Every trophy celebrated, every place I've visited to see them play, every tear shed in emotion and all the great lads that I've met by going to watch this club that I'm proud to call some of my best friends. The lows, the highs, the funny moments, the passion and the love. It's all been made possible by this one man, who followed in the footsteps of the great Sir Matt Busby to give my generation more than we could ever have dreamed of.

On the 29th of September last year, I heard the first suggestion that Alex was retiring. I was sitting around talking to my uncle about United as usual before going down to the ground and he mentioned that it was expected to be Ferguson's last year. The suggestion was that the health scare last year had led to the doctor advising retirement. With him still being in contact with people at the club from when he worked there I decided to take it at least half seriously. United lost 2-3 to Tottenham later that day in the Premier League just to further infuriate me. Whether it was ever in the pipeline at that point that he was considering it I don't know, but that's what I heard anyway. I personally thought by January time that it was a red herring and we'd get at least another year of Ferguson.

A few days afterwards I'd end up having my second, and what will probably now be final, encounter with the boss. I looked up from checking my phone in the hotel lobby in Cluj-Napoca the morning after United's 2-0 win over CFR and saw the players walk past and Ferguson standing there. I didn't stop him for pics because he was in a hurry to get on the bus but I did get the opportunity to say thank you to him for all the great moments and for knocking the scousers off their perch. I'd always wanted that chance to thank him personally for everything, and he acknowledged it. It's hard to convey a lifetime of gratitude in a few seconds. In that moment I wanted to gush about the doubles and the treble, the promised land and all his great signings and the legendary title wins and the unforgettable european nights but the emotion said it all.

Speaking of emotion, its finally sinking in as I write this that this really is it. We are in Fergie time. When I first went to watch United at Old Trafford seventeen years ago I was sat not too far behind Ferguson and could see him out on the touchline giving the players the famous "hairdryer treatment". This Sunday I have a feeling I'll be watching the dugout more than the game in all honesty. It feels surreal, I know I'm gonna get very emotional and there'll be lots of tears but it's an honour and a priveledge to go and watch the great man's last game and be there for the parade on Monday. It'll be a once in a lifetime weekend.

For Van Der Sar's save in the Moscow rain, for believing in Eric the King, for Jip Jaap Stam the big Dutch man, for Cristiano Ronaldo, for Steve Bruce's header, for "Captain Marvel" Bryan Robson, for Sparky defying the laws of geometry in Rotterdam, for Kanchelskis' hat-trick against City, for Cantona's goal at Wembley, for the great Dane Peter Schmeichel, for the destruction of Roma, for the class of 1992, for Beckham from the half-way line, for Scholes's volleys. For the beating of Los Galacticos, for the double double, for Giggs at Villa Park. For ending the 26 year wait, for the smile on Sir Matt's face that day. For the smiles on our faces since. For Ole, Cole and Yorkie. For Fergie time, for taking on the media and the FA and showing no fear. For Roy Keane and his captain's goal in Turin. For the Nevilles. For the 26th of May 1999, for Ole Solskjaer's toe poke, for the promised land ... for taking the impossible dream and making it reality. For lifting the broken pieces of a once great football club and carrying us to the top of the world. For giving 96 academy players first team apperances. For shutting Alan Hansen up once and for all and proving you can win with kids ... for doing it the Matt Busby way. For being the most successful football manager in the English game. For that and everything else ... THANK YOU BOSS.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US LOVES ALEX FERGUSON.
(edited 10 years ago)
PRSOM IanDangerously.

What a wonderful tribute! :yep:

I'll say one thing, some of you guys have INCREDIBLE memories for football! There's not a cat in hell's chance I could remember all that!
Reply 3890
Original post by rohitbd
Moyes should be given 2 years to just qualify for CL, and get into the QF of CL, if he fails then panic alarms should be ringing. In his 3rd season I think we should be expecting the league. I think the major reason why fans are disappointed is because since knocking Liverpool of their perch and winning the title back from City we wanted to dominate Europe again, and with Moyes having little european experience it could be a couple of seasons until we may even challenge for the CL again, unless Moyes surprises all of us. Common Moyes become a fan favourite and sign Ronnie back.

Fergie made some questionable decisions in Europe in the last 3-4 seasons, a new set of eyes on the European frontier could spur us on. Who knows. I've had a bit more time to think and Moyes is growing on me, lets give him a season to settle in with little pressure and see what happens.
https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/332878147987050497/photo/1

Playlist for Sunday's pre-match at Old Trafford. Some belting songs in the build up and then a guard of honour to "The Impossible Dream", a song that's long been associated with Ferguson. He's said in interviews that it's his favourite song and the one that he most identifies United with.

Credit to United, the Matchday MC listened to the fans opinions on Twitter for tracks to be played during the pre-peak build up. That's a list of requests from the crowd and it's certainly better than some of the utter tosh they play at the ground most weeks. Fair play to the club for that.

Original post by mikeyd85
PRSOM IanDangerously.

What a wonderful tribute! :yep:

I'll say one thing, some of you guys have INCREDIBLE memories for football! There's not a cat in hell's chance I could remember all that!

Cheers. I feel a little better after getting all my thoughts together in one place, it was like a whirlwind two days.
I like how they have total labels but no totals. :yep:
Original post by Idle
Fergie made some questionable decisions in Europe in the last 3-4 seasons, a new set of eyes on the European frontier could spur us on. Who knows. I've had a bit more time to think and Moyes is growing on me, lets give him a season to settle in with little pressure and see what happens.

My fear is that the media will be all over him and asking is he the right man for the job as soon as he loses a game/goes out a cup/not win the league etc.

I'm sure Moyes can handle it but some fans are rather fickle and will start believing the tosh in the papers.
Both Zaha and PIG playing tonight in league playoffs if anyones gonna watch it
Original post by IanDangerously
https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/332878147987050497/photo/1

Playlist for Sunday's pre-match at Old Trafford. Some belting songs in the build up and then a guard of honour to "The Impossible Dream", a song that's long been associated with Ferguson. He's said in interviews that it's his favourite song and the one that he most identifies United with.

No 'I wanna be adored' - disappointed
Palace-Brighton is on atm. Chance to get a closer look at Zaha.
Reply 3897

My bad looks like papers made it up.
Response in relation to the media stories surrounding Wayne’s Twitter profile:

Statement from Wayne Rooney

“There’s a load of rubbish being written about me changing twitter bio saying I have deleted Manchester United from it.
I have never deleted Manchester United from the bio whatever the papers are saying because it was never on there.
All that happened was that I was asked by Nike to add @nikeuk to it the same as many other sportspeople they sponsor.
Funny, no-one’s written about that though!
That change was made THREE weeks ago and yet people are talking about it as if its something that was put up yesterday..”

Statement from Nike

A spokesperson for Nike confirmed: “In April, we asked Wayne Rooney and other Nike sponsored athletes to add @nikeuk on to their profiles due to changes in ASA guidelines relating to athletes and social media.”
So boring watching Palace lately. You know you're teams crap when the opposition can man mark Zaha with two or three players constantly and the rest of the team can't make good use of the space
I find it amazing that Fergie has brought 96 youth team players through into the first team over his time at United. It's astonishing, nobody else has ever given that many kids a chance in English football. I think if you asked him he'd say 96 was simply not enough ... there's so much more he wanted to do before he went. His final prodigy Adnan Januzaj could well be the 97th and last on Sunday.

Original post by mikeyd85
I like how they have total labels but no totals. :yep:

It never runs according to schedule anyway! :smile:

Original post by Kenan and Kel
No 'I wanna be adored' - disappointed

I'm guessing nobody suggested it. Although to be fair, we already have Stone Roses in the build up.

Latest