The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWiseChick
what would the answer be to that bit about how long a couple would have to stay married before being legible for a divorce?

I'm pretty sure it's a year
Original post by ikz94
Hi 5 my teacher is the exact same photocopies irrelevant things and pages from the book into THICK booklets. That is why i finished off the Family Unit myself and childhood.

Ahh seems like our sociology teachers aren't that great I've also been self-teaching :frown:
I really hate childhood, how likely is it that childhood may come up?? :'(
Original post by Kieran-SAFC
Mindmaps and doing a LOT of the 24 mark essay questions did the trick for me when I did the exam in January. Ended up only dropping 2 marks on the whole paper as well :wink:

Good luck lads/lasses!

I've been doing mind maps repeatedly and it does helps my only problem, my teacher has changed twice and both were of no help :frown: I have tried quite a few essays but i need someone to mark hem for me that's why I did give in one of my essays to my new teacher its been three weeks and she hasn't marked it as yet :frown:
Original post by 3mmz
there is none

demography is an examine question

With a question like this ''Examine ... (on demography) '' do we need to include sociologists as far as I know there none :frown:
Original post by 3mmz
equality?

With power and labour i just know two studies

Pahl & Vogler & Stephen Edgell
I am screwed!

With power and division of labour as far as I know of, there are the following studies:
- Young & Willmott
- Oakley
- Pahl & Vogler
- Edgell
- Hardill
- Ferri & Smith
- Burghes & Beck
Reply 125
Original post by ikz94
Definition of social policy how some sociologists agree others disagree.
Then policies introduced in the UK mention a few like changes in divorce to how long you have to stay legally married before divorce is permissible.
Then talk about how social policy also affect families in other countries and not just the Uk here use example like Russian Revolution of 1917 cant remmeber what they said but i think it was something to do with abortion and stuff. Then link that to Rise of Nazi Germany and their policy of 'Aryan;' families and how only the can produce thsoe who are not would be steralised. Then mention Chinas one child policy and how Adrian Wilson (1985) states that women in China must seek permission from the gov to have children' led to a register and quota of those women who wanted children. Then talk bout the consequences if they didn't abide by the policy e..g fines and would have to go through steralisation after first child.

Then talk about theoretical perspective view so Functionalists see is at positive etc Marxist and New Right do not Feminist- look at how social policies bring about the patriarchal family and how this crating inequality etc.

This is just brief haven't gone through this topic yet? but that's what I can recall from the top of my head.

Wow thanks. What are social policies that exist in the uk. Can you give me a an example....
Reply 126
Original post by DeepDarkSecrets
With power and division of labour as far as I know of, there are the following studies:
- Young & Willmott
- Oakley
- Pahl & Vogler
- Edgell
- Hardill
- Ferri & Smith
- Burghes & Beck

Is young and wilmott - symmetial family and Oakley - young and wilmott exaggerate the symmetical family as the family is still patriarchal and she talks about women being excluded from the workforce in the 19th century I think....
Reply 127
Ahh seems like our sociology teachers aren't that great I've also been self-teaching :frown:
I really hate childhood, how likely is it that childhood may come up?? :'(

Ewww please god do not make childhood come up. Ill literally throw up
Original post by 3mmz
Is young and wilmott - symmetial family and Oakley - young and wilmott exaggerate the symmetical family as the family is still patriarchal and she talks about women being excluded from the workforce in the 19th century I think....

Yep :biggrin: that's correct,
Oakley criticizes Young and Wilmott
- Ferri &Smith : used survey data to focus on childcare. And found that women in paid work today has had little impact on division of labour- under 4% were the main child-carer.

- Edgell- study of decision making among professional couples and found that very important decisions (e.g moving houses finance etc..) and important decisions were made by men alone or with them having the final say. whilst less important decisions (e.g. food purchases etc.) were taken by women.

- Pahl &Vogler: pooling where partners work and have joint responsibility for spending.. they found that although pooling has increased med stil tended to make the major decisions, reflecting their greater earnings.

- Burghes & Beck: suggest fathers are increasingly taking active involvement in the 'emotional' side of bringing up children even when marriages break down However it is important not to exaggerate men's role in childcare, Research by Gray shows many fathers would like to spend time with their children in order to bond effectively with their children but long hours of work prevent them from doing so

Hope this helped a little just in case couples may come up :smile:
Reply 129
My teacher thinks power and contol in the family may come up or demography..

Succeed at AS sociology revision guide is very helpful with the topics however it doesn't have all the theorists in. Remember at least 3 or 4 theorists for each topic and you should be ok :smile:
Power and control have theorists such as Willmott and Young, Ann Oakley< Bott, Dobash and Dobash, Silver and Schor, Ferris and Smith etc. I just try remember a few for each and it should help you get some marks :smile:
Original post by 3mmz
Ewww please god do not make childhood come up. Ill literally throw up

Ahh same here :frown: Childhood is soo annoying theres limited stuff we can ever write about it its like with all the past childhood questions the same stuff over again :frown: I pray it does NOT come up If it does I'm failing
Original post by Enn21
Thanks for the help! :smile: I'll try this today and hopefully it helps! Good luckkk! ox

Mail me if ya need anything else :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by llluuuccc

Succeed at AS sociology revision guide is very helpful with the topics however it doesn't have all the theorists in. Remember at least 3 or 4 theorists for each topic and you should be ok :smile:
Power and control have theorists such as Willmott and Young, Ann Oakley< Bott, Dobash and Dobash, Silver and Schor, Ferris and Smith etc. I just try remember a few for each and it should help you get some marks :smile:

That revision guide is excellent.
It has most of the main studies that u need. You don't need to no that many studies. That's what I've been revising from. The big orange AQA book is just too much info IMO.
Reply 133
Ahh same here :frown: Childhood is soo annoying theres limited stuff we can ever write about it its like with all the past childhood questions the same stuff over again :frown: I pray it does NOT come up If it does I'm failing

It's so crap and boring.
Like you said I don't know what to even write about!
You know for social policy...do u have any examples of actual social policy's?
Reply 134
Original post by llluuuccc

If both of those come up, I will be doing a little dance in my head in the exam hall on Monday :lol: AQA wouldn't be that nice though would they? :tongue:
I think none of us want childhood to come up ...and it's an hard topic aswell :frown: hoping demography comes up
Yeah true that :frown: very crap
Is it possible btw for a 24 marker to come up on something like Migration or post-modernism?? if so what sort of stuff might they ask??

I dont really like social policies much either :/
But the stuff to mention in social policies include::

---->> Maternity leave policy: for example feminists would argue that social policy reinforces patriarchal ideas about roles and status of men and women. E.g. tax and benefits may assume that husbands are the main wage-earners and that wives are financially dependent. Diana Leonard argues maternity leave policy benefits women however they also reinforce patriarchy in the family by encouraging the assumption that the care of children is the responsibility of mothers rather than their fathers.
CRITICISM: Whether or not social policy promote patriarchy depends on the country. Eileen Drew found that in more equal societies family policy is based on the belief that husbands and wives should be treated the same. In Sweden e.g. policies treat husband and wife equally responsible for childcare and earning.

----->> Charles Murray: argues the welfare state and the generous benefits to lone parent families etc... reward anti-social behavior. For example the growth in lone-parent families means they are relying on the state and is bad for bringing up the children as they lack a role model of the other parent (usually paternity) thus lack of paternal authority is responsible for increasing crime among young males.
CRITICISM: However others may argue that cutting benefits would simply drive many poor families into deeper poverty.

----->> Functionalist Ronald Fletcher argues the welfare state supports the family in performing its functions more effectively. for example the existence of NHS and with the help of doctors/ medicines etc. family today are able to take better care of their members when they are ill.

You could possibly include the China policy, Abortion Act, Child Protection Act, Paternity leave, Divorce Reform Act, Contraception, etc.. and link them depending on what the question is asking for I guess sorryy hope this helped a little. :frown:
Reply 137
Original post by 3mmz
ahhh i get it

so basically changes in womens position..women working, becoming career oriented and choose to remain childless...
divorces rising so family size decreases....?

ewww that's a horrible question actually.
Also speak about how children are now an economic liability because they can't work anymore, also speak about child centredness which means that parents have less children as to lavish them with more attention and money.
Reply 138
Original post by neelam123h
I think none of us want childhood to come up ...and it's an hard topic aswell :frown: hoping demography comes up
I want it to be Childhood and Demography haha. If social policies come up i'm gonna be retaking this unit next year :frown:.
Original post by nwt1234
I want it to be Childhood and Demography haha. If social policies come up i'm gonna be retaking this unit next year :frown:.

Is it possible for a 24 mark question to come up on something like migration? What are the chances of theories of the family especially functionalism ( it has never seem to have come up before) or feminism?? what possible questions may they ask if it were to be on functionalism/ feminism??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending