The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by usycool1
That's a nice question, plenty of trigonometry in it. :tongue:

OK, firstly, you got dxdθ\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}. There's no need to write it as dθdx\dfrac{d\theta}{dx} in this case; just substitute in:
secθtanθdθ\sec \theta \tan \theta d\theta
sec2θ\sec^2 \theta
and don't forget to change the limits.

So:

231(x21)32dx\displaystyle \int_2^3 \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} dx

Write it as:

π3arccos(13)secθtanθ(sec2θ1)32dθ\displaystyle \int_\frac{\pi}{3}^{arccos(\frac{1}{3})} \dfrac{\sec \theta \tan \theta}{(\sec^2 \theta -1)^{\frac{3}{2}}} d \theta

Now, how else can you write sec2θ1sec^2 \theta - 1 ? Then do some simplifying and you should get it. :smile:

cheers bro, i was stuck on this question too, so this helps big time!
Original post by Vaner
Hey!

I'm stuck on question 3 and 8 in the C4 specimen paper. I'm in the early stages of solving and would really appreciate if any solves them for me as they are not in ExamSolutions.

Thank you in advance!

is it on integration using substitution for q.3 and the long worded question using the differential equations for q.8 ?
Original post by Vaner
Hey!

I'm stuck on question 3 and 8 in the C4 specimen paper. I'm in the early stages of solving and would really appreciate if any solves them for me as they are not in ExamSolutions.

Thank you in advance!

well if it is the same question 3 im looking at, here you go. and ill have a go at question 8 later on :smile: hope its the right question we are looking at :tongue:

first thing i would do is differentiate x=tanθx = \tan \theta

to get
dxdθ=sec2θ\frac{dx}{d \theta} = \sec^2 \theta

make dx the subject to get
dx=sec2θdθdx = \sec^2 \theta d \theta

change the limits by subbing 1 and 0 into
x=tanθx = \tan \theta to give you π4\frac{\pi}{4} and 0 respectively. then you are ready to go:

(TRY ON YOUR OWN FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS, IF YOU ARE STILL STUCK. FEEL FREE TO CLICK THE SPOILER)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
I need 95% in both c3 and c4 to even get an A :frown:((

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Original post by Flounder1

how comes? what did you get last year? and what about your third module your doing this year?
Original post by Flounder1

If you got those scores then I'm sure you'd get the A* as you'd pass all the requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1146
How many papers has everyone done?

I feel like I am focusing too much on my other Exams and not enough Maths. I did a Solomon yesterday and I found it challenging, or more challenging that I should have done. :frown:
Original post by Better

I feel like I am focusing too much on my other Exams and not enough Maths. I did a Solomon yesterday and I found it challenging, or more challenging that I should have done. :frown:

I've only done about 6 Solomons for C4 and about 2 for C3, I'll have to pick it up after my May exams are finished though! 100 UMS in both here I come! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1148
Original post by MathsNerd1
I've only done about 6 Solomons for C4 and about 2 for C3, I'll have to pick it up after my May exams are finished though! 100 UMS in both here I come! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay perfect cheers again Maths Nerd, Yeah glad your doing that, I will try to pick it up a bit like next week! Keep up the good work mate haha !!
Original post by Better

Yes the sciences especially biology is draining a lot of time and effort from me.
I've done only 3 edexcel pastpapers for C1 and C2, 2 for C3, 1 for M1, none (half) for M2 and none for S1.forget Solomon and Delphis :biggrin:

Edit: I forgot I did 3 M2 papers last month.

Who's in a worse situation? :redface:

The thing is when I do maths past papers at home its gets too boring as if revising Biology is more worth then it goes the other way.

Anyways its not how much past papers you do but what you take out if them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Better
Okay perfect cheers again Maths Nerd, Yeah glad your doing that, I will try to pick it up a bit like next week! Keep up the good work mate haha !!

If I was in your position I'd get my earlier exams out of the way first and not go crazy with these past papers as for some people they peak too early before the exam and never make up for it later on, just do about. 2-3 a week would be sufficient for now until the exam gets closer. This is only a suggestion and you don't have to follow it if you don't want to, just don't burn out from all these exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was in your position I'd get my earlier exams out of the way first and not go crazy with these past papers as for some people they peak too early before the exam and never make up for it later on, just do about. 2-3 a week would be sufficient for now until the exam gets closer. This is only a suggestion and you don't have to follow it if you don't want to, just don't burn out from all these exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning :smile:

how are you :smile:

can you please check this question http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=400&solution=6.3
6)d)ii)

I am using substitution by parts?

I used

u= Inx du/dx = 1/x

v= 1/2x2-x dv/dx = (x-1)

so I did

(Inx)(1/2x2-x) - integral sign (1/2x2-x)(1/x) dx

where am I going wrong :confused:
Original post by otrivine
Good morning :smile:

how are you :smile:

can you please check this question http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=400&solution=6.3
6)d)ii)

I am using substitution by parts?

I used

u= Inx du/dx = 1/x

v= 1/2x2-x dv/dx = (x-1)

so I did

(Inx)(1/2x2-x) - integral sign (1/2x2-x)(1/x) dx

where am I going wrong :confused:

You haven't gone wrong, this is correct so far.

Just do the integration and evaluate using the limits, you'll get the right answer.
Original post by justinawe
You haven't gone wrong, this is correct so far.

Just do the integration and evaluate using the limits, you'll get the right answer.

thanks!

did you get my message for vectors please:smile:
Reply 1154

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how's life for the chosen one :wink:
Original post by ACBLISS
So how's life for the chosen one :wink:

Lol, not too bad considering I'm not the chosen one :tongue: Although I refused to complete a C4 paper today because I looked at the questions and they seemed incredibly easy, I could even do some of them in my head without writing anything down! STEP has definitely helped me in that manner and I'm looking for 100% in my Chemistry tests now! :biggrin:

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
not too sure where to start on this question :frown: help please !
Original post by masryboy94

The ratio of r to h is 2:32:3 throughout, using the concept of similar triangles.

So r=23hr=\dfrac{2}{3}h

Sub this into the formula for volume of a cone.

the first question you use the similar triangle formula which is Radius divided by the height,

Differentiate the the volume and then from the similar triangle make R the subject and once you did that you sub that into the differentiated equation

You need to find an expression for r in terms of h.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending