The Student Room Group

British-Asian Footballers????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Yh i get your point, but surely the first black people came to this country to WORK aswell?

I wouldn't be fully sure what their motivations were to coming to the country but yeah they would have been coming to work aswell. Mentalities from each part of the world differ. People from the sub-continent were just in that frame of mind of solely working. Plus, initially, their plans were to earn money then go back but due to the way things panned out, they felt better inclined to stay here and build something.
Reply 21
You can talk about all those other factors such as parents etc but the numbers are still ridiculously disproportionate. P I can't think of one footballer from South Asian descent in any of the football leagues. Surely that means something, somewhere is wrong? You'd expect there at the very least to be a scattering of players from that background when considering how prominent South Asians are in this country.

I've heard from friends that discrimination does exist but I do think it's an older problem and the outlook is now changing. A South Asian signed a pro contract with West Brom recently and I believe has made the match day squad on occasion. Can see him potentially being the first player from that background to break through into the PL (that I know of - unless Michael Chopra counts).
Original post by Pn94
You can talk about all those other factors such as parents etc but the numbers are still ridiculously disproportionate. P I can't think of one footballer from South Asian descent in any of the football leagues. Surely that means something, somewhere is wrong? You'd expect there at the very least to be a scattering of players from that background when considering how prominent South Asians are in this country.

I've heard from friends that discrimination does exist but I do think it's an older problem and the outlook is now changing. A South Asian signed a pro contract with West Brom recently and I believe has made the match day squad on occasion. Can see him potentially being the first player from that background to break through into the PL (that I know of - unless Michael Chopra counts).

Zesh Rehman as well.
Reply 23
it's for a couple of reasons:

the main one being, no asians play for local teams (or at least i've never seen it) from a young age, and then progressively get better throughout their school career etc.
hence, if this can't happen then there are no players to be 'spotted' by a scout.

discrimination wouldn't be so much of a problem if it was accepted that there is a sizeable population of youths that play in actual local clubs.

other reasons: they suck, they are too busy becoming doctors/accountants/wastemen
Reply 24
FFS.

Why is one of the big claims racism? Derp. Culture, Diet etc are all much bigger factors than racism. But always, always when anyone brings up something like this there's a couple that have to say it's racism. Pro-tip, most of the time it's not.
Don't our youth systems prefer strong kids over small ones? Not sure how true it is but I'm sure everyone's heard the 'Messi wouldn't have met our youth system's criteria' thing. Asians don't tend to be bulky and so aren't given a look in by scouts.
Reply 26
Original post by justanotherposter
Don't our youth systems prefer strong kids over small ones? Not sure how true it is but I'm sure everyone's heard the 'Messi wouldn't have met our youth system's criteria' thing. Asians don't tend to be bulky and so aren't given a look in by scouts.

Good point. It's that mentality of 'Get in there and get a boot on it' that produces the uninspiring performances we've seen from England over the years.

The Spanish kids actually learn how to pass.
Reply 27
Original post by Steevee
FFS.

Why is one of the big claims racism? Derp. Culture, Diet etc are all much bigger factors than racism. But always, always when anyone brings up something like this there's a couple that have to say it's racism. Pro-tip, most of the time it's not.

That racism is a factor is bad enough.
Reply 28
Original post by 3nTr0pY
Good point. It's that mentality of 'Get in there and get a boot on it' that produces the uninspiring performances we've seen from England over the years.

The Spanish kids actually learn how to pass.

i think the main problem is actually getting more asian youth into their local teams.

'getting in there' isn't a problem. boys get fitter and stronger as they grow older (if they play sufficient sport). asians are no exception.
Reply 29
Original post by Steevee
FFS.

naive.

how very naive. it shouldn't bother me what ever it is you think, but for some reason it does.
Here's the only one I can think of offhand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Batth
Reply 31
Original post by AK.tsr
i think the main problem is actually getting more asian youth into their local teams.

'getting in there' isn't a problem. boys get fitter and stronger as they grow older (if they play sufficient sport). asians are no exception.

I'm saying that the philosophy of 'You need to be tall and strong to play football' is a wrong one that might disadvantage asians. Don't know if those views are widespread but they're obviously *******s.
Reply 32
Funny you should talk about size and strength because my local team seem to have a problem in that most home grown talent that comes through is lightweight and has been for a few years now.

I think most of it is down to parents wanting academic children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by 3nTr0pY
I'm saying that the philosophy of 'You need to be tall and strong to play football' is a wrong one that might disadvantage asians. Don't know if those views are widespread but they're obviously *******s.

no it's fairly logical,

for example, in a situation where you have two teams of equal skill levels,
you wouldn't PREFER to choose the team with the physical disadvantage.

that is pretty much the English football philosophy. 'Get stuck in lads' :biggrin:

(i do see what you're saying though)
Reply 34
Original post by AK.tsr
no it's fairly logical,

for example, in a situation where you have two teams of equal skill levels,
you wouldn't PREFER to choose the team with the physical disadvantage.

that is pretty much the English football philosophy. 'Get stuck in lads' :biggrin:

(i do see what you're saying though)

Yeah, exaggeration on my part.

The thing is, I imagine that skill is often overlooked because of people only focussing on physical aspects. When talent spotting, it's surely more important to spot talent rather than spot who's been to the gym a lot.

And the other thing people tend to under appreciate is how effectively a player works with other players. Football is a team game after all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by AK.tsr
naive.

how very naive. it shouldn't bother me what ever it is you think, but for some reason it does.

All the ****s I give.

In my experience the majority of racism people complain about is BS.
Reply 36
Hi Guys, I'm coming to England With The Sole Purpose Of Becoming A Footballer. I've convinced my parents since i'll be taking admission in a university, either York or Manchester. So can anyone help me here? Is the thread alive?
Parents make them aim for careers such as Doctors, Lawyers etc...
Was in my my case anyway, sport was always discouraged and put down.
Reply 38
Well, Sports will always be discouraged in Asian Households.Its up to you, how strong your will is play!

Hey, can anyone tell me what is this - Sunday Football League in Uk where people say scouts come to watch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
I've just recently noticed (becos of the CHampions League) that there alot of successful German-Turkish footballers,( which I suppose are equivalent to British-Asians), such as Ozil, Gundogan and Sahin to name a few

Quick Reply

Latest