The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nenestar98
Well the production of biogas is the big one. There can also be a comparison question between the 2 types of biogas generators and evaluating which one you thin is better. Then the evaluation of kidney dialysis vs kidney transplant. The food efficiency and how blood moves through the heart is another one. Then there's the usual others like ventilation, transpiration, artificial hearts, and a typical question about global warming and etc.
Don't worry too much because although we are the first ones to be doing the exam with the new specification, the questions and their answers don't change. :wink: Good Luck. BTW, someone previously shared it but there's a youtuber who makes gcse science videos called 'myGCSEscience'. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8ja91C9_8&list=PLsorq7UsrfYuE4IpM28MJxG7UUf0W0wpc
His videos have all the topics on the exam. :biggrin:

Thank you so much!! Yes ive seen his videos, theyre great! :smile: Good luck to you too :smile: By the 2 types of biogas generator, do you mean batch and continuous? And what sort of points would i have to write if the 6 marker was on transpiration? I cant think of 6 :frown:
I have a dilemma.

After school on Monday, 3 of my teachers will be running 3 different revision classes for 3 different subjects. The subjects are Spanish, biology and RS. I can only attend one and I don't know which to go to!

Dates of the exams:
- Biology = the following day (Tuesday 14th)
- Spanish = Friday 17th
- RS = Tuesday 21st

How confident I feel in each subject:
- Biology = mainly confident
- Spanish = mainly confident
- RS = unconfident

How many lessons in class before exams:
- Biology = 1
- Spanish = 2
- RS = 1

Sorry for the overload of information, but has anyone got a clue as to what I should do? :confused:
Original post by Hazwaz7
I have a dilemma.

After school on Monday, 3 of my teachers will be running 3 different revision classes for 3 different subjects. The subjects are Spanish, biology and RS. I can only attend one and I don't know which to go to!

Dates of the exams:
- Spanish = Friday 17th
- RS = Tuesday 21st

- RS = unconfident

- Biology = 1
- Spanish = 2
- RS = 1

Sorry for the overload of information, but has anyone got a clue as to what I should do? :confused:

R.S cause you are the least confident with it 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can you write 6 points about transpiration?! Shoot me now 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KimSmith1234
Thank you so much!! Yes ive seen his videos, theyre great! :smile: Good luck to you too :smile: By the 2 types of biogas generator, do you mean batch and continuous? And what sort of points would i have to write if the 6 marker was on transpiration? I cant think of 6 :frown:

Yeah, i mean batch and continuous. I'm guessing then Transpiration wont be a 6 marker. :wink: I think the highest it could go is 4 marks then. Transpiration isnt supposed to be too hard so they wouldn't want to use it as a 6 mark! As long as you learn the process in detail, you will be able to apply it :biggrin:
Original post by Hazwaz7
I have a dilemma.

Dates of the exams:
- Spanish = Friday 17th
- RS = Tuesday 21st

- RS = unconfident

- Biology = 1
- Spanish = 2
- RS = 1

Presuming they're an hour long, why don't you go to one for 20 minutes, go through the stuff you find most difficult, go to another and then finish off with Biology? :smile:

EDIT: Just read that you can only go to one. Never mind :frown: If I were you, I'd go to RS. You can still revise Biology at home afterwards!
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks guys, I think I'll go to RS because it's my weaker subject. I'll be sure to revise Biology when I'm home after it though, like you said :smile:
Is the unofficial mark scheme going to be on the thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has no one considered a 6 mark on intensive farming?
That's great. Thanks for sharing. :-) I have done all my revision notes but it is good to have a read through someone elses to know I'm on the right track. Have you got revision notes for the C3 one aswell?
Original post by libbyjonesxx
my revision notes
I know loads of stuff about Biogas generators (i think!) but if it comes up for the 6 marker i don't know what 6 marks they will be looking for. Any suggestions would be great!!!:smile:
Original post by Hazwaz7
I have a dilemma.

Dates of the exams:
- Spanish = Friday 17th
- RS = Tuesday 21st

- RS = unconfident

- Biology = 1
- Spanish = 2
- RS = 1

You have the same as me! Except I'm doing RS on Friday 17th AS WELL because I'm doing the full course. I am going to fail RS so badly, Spanish is fairly easy though, haven't revised that at all yet
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
You have the same as me! Except I'm doing RS on Friday 17th AS WELL because I'm doing the full course. I am going to fail RS so badly, Spanish is fairly easy though, haven't revised that at all yet

Haha, Friday 17th is unit 2 (religion and life issues), right? I am doing the full course too - I did that unit last year, so this year I only have one more unit to do and therefore just the one exam, on the 21st :biggrin:

I felt so unconfident about RS before last year's exam and I didn't think it went well at all. Fortunately, on results day I found out I got A* 100 UMS (full marks) and I was genuinely speechless! So, even though we may not feel confident in the subject, we may still do well in this exam! There's always hope!

Good luck! We can do this!
can we please keep the dicsussion on the context of the science exams

thank you
Original post by Hazwaz7
Haha, Friday 17th is unit 2 (religion and life issues), right? I am doing the full course too - I did that unit last year, so this year I only have one more unit to do and therefore just the one exam, on the 21st :biggrin:

I felt so unconfident about RS before last year's exam and I didn't think it went well at all. Fortunately, on results day I found out I got A* 100 UMS (full marks) and I was genuinely speechless! So, even though we may not feel confident in the subject, we may still do well in this exam! There's always hope!

Good luck! We can do this!

Yeah life issues, that is honestly amazing lol. I don't think I can even scrape a B the way I'm going. What was your other unit on? I'm doing religion and morality (unit 3).
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Yeah life issues, that is honestly amazing lol. I don't think I can even scrape a B the way I'm going. What was your other unit on? I'm doing religion and morality (unit 3).

I'm doing religion and morality as well! We haven't finished the course yet and I'm doubting whether my teacher will have time to cover all the content before the exam. I'm kind of teaching myself some of it to make sure I'm prepared.

My teacher marks my practice answers reaaaaally harshly and I always get like a C or B in class tests, that's why I was so shocked at my A* in the real exam! So, even if you're only working at B, there's still a good chance you may be able to get an A/A* if the examiner is kind :smile:

(RS isn't a subject to be worrying about anyway. Science/maths/English are so much more important!)
Original post by Captain Anonymous
can we please keep the dicsussion on the context of the science exams

thank you

Oops, sorry! :P
Reply 117
Since the exam is on Tuesday, what about if we ask each other questions to see if we're ready?

So, I'll start with a question, one person answers it and gives another question for someone else to answer. Also, remember to say how many marks it's worth.

My question: Explain the adaptations of the villi to absorb food/digested material. [6]
Somebody please answer this 6 marker. How would you answer this question to get the full 6 marks :

Evaluate the use of artificial ventilators
Evaluate the use of artificial blood and other heart products
Evaluate the use of a biogas generator

Sample answers would really be appreciated :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantaˌ
Since the exam is on Tuesday, what about if we ask each other questions to see if we're ready?

So, I'll start with a question, one person answers it and gives another question for someone else to answer. Also, remember to say how many marks it's worth.

My question: Explain the adaptations of the villi to absorb food/digested material. [6]

The surface is covered in microvilli, increasing its surface area to volume ratio and therefore increasing the amount of absorption that may occur as there are more surfaces that digested material may cross. The blood supply is good as capillaries run very close to the surface of the villi which helps to maintain a concentration gradient by moving absorbed material away. Also, the cells nearest to the surface are filled with mitochondria, used to supply lots of energy to the villi through respiration, needed for active transport.

List 3 ways to reduce the risk of contamination in the production of mycoprotein? [3]

Latest

Trending

Trending