The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladymarshmallow
I don't know...I was unable to finish one of my essays and have a horrible feeling that I may have left some sentences unfinished in others. As for my DME, I, for the first time ever, actually managed to get 3 arguments on both sides although I didn't feel some were very substantial. I just calculated that if I were to get a 9 on each essay then I would need 27 on the DME for an A, which is somewhat reassuring, but still. Maybe it went better than I hoped - I thought I'd completely and utterly bombed the prelim yet ended up 4 marks off an A, but I really don't know. I am desperate for an A, I don't care whether it's a scraped/borderline one, but I really don't know. I, like you, will kick myself if I've ended up falling up short. I'm feeling pretty confident for most of my other exams, though. Anyway, I have vowed to try to stop over-analysing the exam because I'm just exacerbating the anxiety and I couldn't get to sleep last night for ages because of it. :s-smilie:
Apologies for the whiney, self-absorbed rant. :smile:

i could have wrote this:colone:

keep putting calculations in and working out scores its doing my head no good, came to the conclusion though i've probably scooshed it over the line, guess we'll need to wait to august to find out. onto biology and maths now, feeling a bit more strongly about them :colondollar:
Reply 1821
Original post by xoJennyox
Do you mean the question on devolution?

Yeah? If you did this one, what did you write? I knew it would be devolution but I really had no idea what to say for it:confused:
Do you know when they put the marking instructions and paper online?
Original post by xxxred
Yeah? If you did this one, what did you write? I knew it would be devolution but I really had no idea what to say for it:confused:

Well there are two types of devolution question (both are pretty similar). This one was asking whether "additional powers" of SP have "delivered Scottish Solutions to Scottish problems. In other words, how beneficial has devolution been for Scotland?

I am not sure how well I did but I wrote about:

The devolved powers of SG and how they have passed laws concerning "Scottish problems", for example free prescription and tuition fees.

To balance I discussed the conflict between reserved powers: grey areas such as defense and how some previous legislation are "pointless".

The taxing powers of the SG

However they have not used them and want fiscal autonomy away and no block grant from Westminster

SNP been given permission for referednum

Calman commission against this however do believe that SG should be given more power

SP use AMS- usually results in AMS and spoke of advantages

However 2011 saw first ever majority govt.

I hope that is okay- what did you write about?
Original post by nicolagrantgrant
Do you know when they put the marking instructions and paper online?

A couple of days after the send the results out in August I think.
How did people find the South Africa essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you fail an essay? If you answer the question will you always pass or is it about statistics etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrabble96
How did people find the South Africa essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

was okay, did health/land reform/education/housing as my social economic inequalities, spoke about the aids pandemic, how badly the land was distributed because of apartied, how they use 20% of the budget on education, and the 1 billion rand housing deal to replace shanty towns. giving progress and problems remaining :smile:
How do you fail an essay? If you answer the question will you always pass or is it about statistics etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

this its marked on an overall basis. points, examples and explanation need to be included.
I hope I've got a B, I tried really hard. I've never had anything over a 'B' before though, lol. Apart from a few DME practices I got a firm 'A'.
I'm an idiot, asked the same question as someone else.
Reply 1831
Original post by xoJennyox
Well there are two types of devolution question (both are pretty similar). This one was asking whether "additional powers" of SP have "delivered Scottish Solutions to Scottish problems. In other words, how beneficial has devolution been for Scotland?

I am not sure how well I did but I wrote about:

The devolved powers of SG and how they have passed laws concerning "Scottish problems", for example free prescription and tuition fees.

To balance I discussed the conflict between reserved powers: grey areas such as defense and how some previous legislation are "pointless".

The taxing powers of the SG

However they have not used them and want fiscal autonomy away and no block grant from Westminster

SNP been given permission for referednum

Calman commission against this however do believe that SG should be given more power

SP use AMS- usually results in AMS and spoke of advantages

However 2011 saw first ever majority govt.

I hope that is okay- what did you write about?

I didn't write about AMS, but I did write about basically everything else you said. By "The taxing powers of the SG" do you mean like the Tartan Tax and stuff? God I feel so much better now haha
Original post by xxxred
I didn't write about AMS, but I did write about basically everything else you said. By "The taxing powers of the SG" do you mean like the Tartan Tax and stuff? God I feel so much better now haha

Yes the SP can vary tax by 10p (I hope it is because I wrote that) and this is referred to as the "Tartan Tax". If you analysed well and also gave balance then hopefully you have done pretty well.

It doesn't matter too much about AMS. That is a very small argument that I left until last because the rest was way more significant, such as the various laws passed and the reserved powers. If you had at least 3 key arguments with a counterpoint then all is well!
I actually hate the wee booklets they give you to write in, the spacing is ridiculously big. I don't know why but i just despise them so much haha!
Original post by nicolagrantgrant
I actually hate the wee booklets they give you to write in, the spacing is ridiculously big. I don't know why but i just despise them so much haha!

It's unnerving because in the prelim we used standard A4. What's more, I filled up my booklet and then had to put my hand up to ask for a second and wait for about a whole minute for the invigilator to look up and notice me! :angry:
How did everyone find the politics of development question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find the politics of development question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought conflict was a strange way to open the question.I just wrote war and agriculture for 'conflict' though then spoke about education & health. Think we all need to stop worrying and over thinking about the exam will do us no good! Best of luck for the rest of your exams, hopefully speak in another thread soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1837
It's unnerving because in the prelim we used standard A4. What's more, I filled up my booklet and then had to put my hand up to ask for a second and wait for about a whole minute for the invigilator to look up and notice me! :angry:

Wow I never even got half way through the book with my answers.

I know i finished one whole booklet and another two wee ones! They took ages to give out more paper was so annoying!
In paper 2, I scored out one of my arguments for the proposal and re-wrote it after my conclusion. I marked it with a star, so the marker should realise, but will I be penalised for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending