The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by muna88
i really hope my 8A's (history. maths. stats, eng;lish lanaguage, english lit chemistry , health and scoial care and ict) doesn't let me down and my 3b's(spanish, biology and phyiscs. to do medicine :V i'm so worried :C

It would have helped if you had an A in bio but good A-levels and UKCAT,PS are more important so it doesn't really matter. They are relatively good results. :biggrin:
Original post by ergo30
So your first application wasn't a fail because of grades, just your PS? I'm slightly confused.

I presume it was a fail due to a poor ps amongst other things. Grades on the other hand I dont think so-no resits and achieved within 2 years. Where you thinking of applying btw?
Original post by lucky20
Now that you've mentioned Cambridge I've gotta ask- what are your stats?:biggrin:

I don't have much yet!!
7A* 4A at GCSE though (A*s include all sciences, maths and eng Lang, along with art and stuff)
Just got to see what my UMS scores turn out like for AS really before I can make a final decision :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 103
Which universities are not too big on personal statement?
I just thought I'd say hi to my fellow hopeful medics! I applied for my UKCAT crazy early and everyone at my college was so surprised. On the other hang I'm so excited for the maddening journey that awaits us! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Inspired_tem
I just thought I'd say hi to my fellow hopeful medics! I applied for my UKCAT crazy early and everyone at my college was so surprised. On the other hang I'm so excited for the maddening journey that awaits us! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya :smile: I'm booking mine soon, probably for August 27th. I would do it earlier but I have two weeks work experience and I didn't want to have to study for UKCAT during it.

When are you doing yours? Also, do you have any ideas of where you want to apply?

Reply 106
Hi all! I'm an international student applying to university in the UK for 2014 entry...
im very excited about this entire process!
im applying to :
Kings
Leeds
Newcastle
and Nottingham/Bristol (I can't decide yet)
:smile: Nice to meet you all!
Original post by Sadie21
Hi all! I'm an international student applying to university in the UK for 2014 entry...
im very excited about this entire process!
im applying to :
Kings
Leeds
Newcastle
and Nottingham/Bristol (I can't decide yet)
:smile: Nice to meet you all!

Hi, nice to meet you too! Where about are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by lucky20
I presume it was a fail due to a poor ps amongst other things. Grades on the other hand I dont think so-no resits and achieved within 2 years. Where you thinking of applying btw?

Well it's kinda too early to decide because I'm still in year 10 But hopefully in the future I will have the stats to apply to one of:

Kings College London
BSMS
Imperial
UCL
Maybe even Newcastle

These are my dream med schools :biggrin:, I'm not exactly Oxbridge material.
I live in London btw, so most of my choices will be London Unis.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by TheMan17
Which universities are not too big on personal statement?

Hmm, I'm not sure which Universities are not but I do know that Bristol, Newcastle and Leeds weight a lot on the PS. I have a cousin who goes to Newcastle and is currently studying medicine so that's how I know.

Hope I helped somehow, sorry for the lack of detail. :biggrin:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Heya :smile: I'm booking mine soon, probably for August 27th. I would do it earlier but I have two weeks work experience and I didn't want to have to study for UKCAT during it.

When are you doing yours? Also, do you have any ideas of where you want to apply?

I booked mine for the 30th of August simply cause of work experience ill be doing and such. Giving me tons of time to prepare. I'm thinking Imperial. UCL, St George's and HYMS. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
I am a reapplicant..heartbroken at not getting in this year but more determined than ever to get in for 2014 entry!!

I've spoken to a lot of people and read a lot of posts on here about people becoming HCA's during their gap year which brings obvious benefits to medicine applicants, but when I spoke to a doctor who also deals with university admissions he told me that doing something voluntary abroad, or just something that's a bit different, would be much more impressive to him and would make an applicant stand out for admissions officers, regardless if its directly related to medicine or not. I'm just wondering if anyone else has has this advice, or whether I'd be better just playing it safe and trying to get a job now? Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
I'm am applying for access to higher education in medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck people! I went through this process twice to get to where i wanted. Its tough, but oh so worth it when you get that offer!
I booked mine for the 30th of August simply cause of work experience ill be doing and such. Giving me tons of time to prepare. I'm thinking Imperial. UCL, St George's and HYMS. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :smile:
I'm thinking ---
Cambridge (AS UMS dependent)
Nottingham
Leicester
Sheffield
Bristol
Reply 115
Original post by ergo30
Hmm, I'm not sure which Universities are not but I do know that Bristol, Newcastle and Leeds weight a lot on the PS. I have a cousin who goes to Newcastle and is currently studying medicine so that's how I know.Hope I helped somehow, sorry for the lack of detail. :biggrin:
No worries it's abit of a closed question
Original post by g.k.galloway
Awesome :smile:
I'm thinking ---
Cambridge (AS UMS dependent)
Nottingham
Leicester
Sheffield
Bristol

Well I hope you smash those exams so you have high enough Ums for Cambridge :smile: - good luck with all your exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For people doing c2 on Monday how are you guys feeling? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I hope you smash those exams so you have high enough Ums for Cambridge :smile: - good luck with all your exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too!
For people doing c2 on Monday how are you guys feeling? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm with edexcel and have C1 on monday...I'm feeling okay ish about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending