The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jina
That's terrible. Whats worse would be an exam the day after your bday because you'd spend the day revising.
This is why everyone should have their babies in September! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22469216

Have you read about this? I think it's absurd, my birthday's in April and I remember joining my reception class a few months later than everybody else but I don't consider myself to be at a disadvantage to anybody else. In fact, I managed to get into a grammar school so if anything I consider than an advantage above my primary school peers and I wouldn't say the month I was born in played any part whatsoever in my education :s-smilie:
Reply 9281
Original post by Jina
I notice age! Its frustrating that I turn old months before all my friends. -_-
But i dont think of you as a 14 (?) year old haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I notice it because I've always been younger, so I've grown used to talking to people older than me! It's going to be frustrating for me getting everything later than everyone else! Yes, I'm fourteen, I don't think of you guys as 16 (?) except when you talk about getting national insurance numbers and stuff!
Reply 9282
Original post by Pabblethefish

Have you read about this? I think it's absurd, my birthday's in April and I remember joining my reception class a few months later than everybody else but I don't consider myself to be at a disadvantage to anybody else. In fact, I managed to get into a grammar school so if anything I consider than an advantage above my primary school peers and I wouldn't say the month I was born in played any part whatsoever in my education :s-smilie:

I'm born in August, and I think it's just stupid. Either way, I want to know what I actually get in exams, changing my grade won't be a reflection of my true ability.
Original post by sarahiscool
Most people in my school could do that question, god knows how it was impossible but I could do all the other questions although I completely mucked up one of the other 4 markers as I didnt read the question properly, so thats 92% and minus all the stupid mistakes probably mid 80's ... atleast i hope

I've done harder questions of that type in Admaths. I just did a huge herpaderp :colonhash:
I made a few small mistakes which I actually found and corrected though :tongue:
Original post by Vionar
I'm born in August, and I think it's just stupid. Either way, I want to know what I actually get in exams, changing my grade won't be a reflection of my true ability.

Yeah, I'd assume there'd be a spectrum rather than just children born in August if it were to be implemented but I'd hate to have such an advantage over my September-born peers - I wouldn't blame them for resenting the fact I may get a higher grade than them despite getting the same mark. I think a few months of early year schooling missed is perfectly fine. If the parents believe their children are really to such a disadvantage in joining school a few months late then then should consider a good nursery or take a few hours a day to home school.
Original post by sarahiscool
quick question, why are you not allowed to talk about edexcel exams straight afterwards but you are allowed to talk about CIE ones ? surely the same rules should apply as their igcse's are taken across the world ( atleast I think they are )

CIE is a UK based exam board I think.
Reply 9286
Yeah, I'd assume there'd be a spectrum rather than just children born in August if it were to be implemented but I'd hate to have such an advantage over my September-born peers - I wouldn't blame them for resenting the fact I may get a higher grade than them despite getting the same mark. I think a few months of early year schooling missed is perfectly fine. If the parents believe their children are really to such a disadvantage in joining school a few months late then then should consider a good nursery or take a few hours a day to home school.

Yeah, if it was just August, July would be disadvantaged. It's just going too far, if people are really that disadvantaged by being born later in the year, then they can get extra help or something.
Reply 9287
Original post by alexgr97
CIE is a UK based exam board I think.

Edexcel is, but they both have exams outside of the UK - especially seeing as CIE stands for Cambridge International Examinations...
Reply 9288

That's the most stupid thing I've read in ages. Educated people actually believe that? While it may be the case in Nursery and Reception at most, by years 6-11 students are taught the same things and such so that no one is at a disadvantage to another. If that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9289
Original post by Vionar
I don't think I notice it because I've always been younger, so I've grown used to talking to people older than me! It's going to be frustrating for me getting everything later than everyone else! Yes, I'm fourteen, I don't think of you guys as 16 (?) except when you talk about getting national insurance numbers and stuff!

Omg wow... 14. You're so unlike any 14 year old I know! I'll be 17 soon *vomits*.... Ahh national insurance numbers are soo old now haha... I think i lost mine. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9290
Original post by Jina
Omg wow... 14. You're so unlike any 14 year old I know! I'll be 17 soon *vomits*.... Ahh national insurance numbers are soo old now haha... I think i lost mine. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? What's different about me? :eek: That's old! You'll be 17 this year, I'll be fifteen this year and I'm only one year below! Well that was clever of you! I want one! :frown:
Reply 9291
Original post by Vionar
Why? What's different about me? :eek: That's old! You'll be 17 this year, I'll be fifteen this year and I'm only one year below! Well that was clever of you! I want one! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very mature! You remind me of myself. Hahahahahaha
Wow... That is weird. Really. Why does the school academic year start in September? Iol i looked forward to it too until it came in a brown envelope and didn't have a card... Just a number. Oh and they got my surname wrong... Yeah.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9292
Original post by Vionar

WHAT..So you would prefer a D to a B?:pierre:
Original post by Jina
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow... That is weird. Really. Why does the school academic year start in September? Iol i looked forward to it too until it came in a brown envelope and didn't have a card... Just a number. Oh and they got my surname wrong... Yeah.

:rofl: that's awkward :tongue:
Reply 9294
Oh, does OCR have two exams? In AQA there are two, one human - I'm doing tourism, the development gap and changing urban environments - and one physical - I'm doing coasts, rocks and scenery and the restless earth.

Yep there is 2, it isn't split into human and physical though

The SDME exam is only on one theme (for me is was population and settlement) and is a bit shorter than the key themes exam which is on the other 3 themes
Reply 9295
Original post by Jina
Posted from TSR Mobile

:h: Lots of people have said that to me! (that I'm mature, not that I remind them of you!)

I really don't know, it's an odd time! Did it come in one of those brown manila envelopes!? I love those envelopes! :biggrin: How did they get your surname wrong!? It's so simple! My surname's almost always wrong!
Reply 9296
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:rofl: that's awkward :tongue:

Good morning!
And what's awkward? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9297
Original post by Vionar
:h: Lots of people have said that to me! (that I'm mature, not that I remind them of you!)

I really don't know, it's an odd time! Did it come in one of those brown manila envelopes!? I love those envelopes! :biggrin: How did they get your surname wrong!? It's so simple! My surname's almost always wrong!

Haha maybe because you are... When you choose to be. And i meant that you remind me of myself in terms of my maturity! -_- hahahaa

Dont know what manila is but its those standard brown envelopes that you rip
Open. Haha your surname is pretty easy too! Haha actually it isnt.
Ermm... Well everyone in my house has a different surname and they named me after my mum. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9298
Original post by EduWiz
WHAT..So you would prefer a D to a B?:pierre:

Not with the current system, obviously, but I wouldn't want to actually get a D and someone tell me I get a B, when I know it wouldn't be my actual grade. I feel guilty if I accidentally tell someone I get one more mark than I actually did in any sort of test, so moving up two grades would be awful for me!
Original post by JustaDreamer
I should be revising right now I suppose, morning is when I revise best...:rolleyes:

Haha I only do it in the morning to get it out of the way. Plus if Everton are at home on a Saturday then I'm out 1-6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest