The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by jamesmact
Atherosclerosis is made easier by damaging the endothelial lining of the artery, thus it's easier to deposit cholesterol etc into it. Tar causes mutations in the bronchi and bronchioles, it paralyses cilia and stimulates goblet cells to produce mucus causing a build up of mucus which traps pathogens and eventually gravity pulls it downwards to the lungs causing various infections.

Nicotine raises blood pressure thus causing hypertension by making the platelets sticky, and this allows atheromas to form more easily, and these atheromas cause blockages in arteries, leading to strokes or CHD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot that makes sense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys what is the difference between an atheroma and a plaque? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by GCSE-help
Guys what is the difference between an atheroma and a plaque? Thanks. :smile:

im not 100% sure but i think plaque is just a 'general' term and athroma is specifically plaque within the wall of the blood vessles
Original post by upthegunners
im not 100% sure but i think plaque is just a 'general' term and athroma is specifically plaque within the wall of the blood vessles

I think the atheroma is the build up of the fatty substances and hence, the build up of atheroma results in the plaques forming which sticks out of the endotelium wall in artery?
Original post by otrivine
I think the atheroma is the build up of the fatty substances and hence, the build up of atheroma results in the plaques forming which sticks out of the endotelium wall in artery?

i think you're right :smile: my bad.
i think you're right :smile: my bad.

hey up for revision :smile:

Describe the role of antibody (5)
hey up for revision :smile:

Describe the role of antibody (5)

anytime after monday?:frown: I am revising M1 maths and will be up until monday :frown:
anytime after monday?:frown: I am revising M1 maths and will be up until monday :frown:

oh gosh, good luck , I wish you all the best! On monday there are 2 exams right, C1 and M1!!

Cant believe is summer , time went so fast this year.
Reply 128
Open for revision!
Original post by BioGeek
Open for revision!

fire away and then i will :smile:

Atheromas are the actually thing that forms when cholesterol is deposited IN the artery walls and create obstructions which decrease lumen size, thus raising blood pressure. Plaques, I believe, mean the same thing... :biggrin: finally feeling comfortable with this module!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamesmact
Atheromas are the actually thing that forms when cholesterol is deposited IN the artery walls and create obstructions which decrease lumen size, thus raising blood pressure. Plaques, I believe, mean the same thing... :biggrin: finally feeling comfortable with this module!

Posted from TSR Mobile

want to revise chapter 1 and immunity
Reply 132
Which topics do you guys think are most likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZDA
Which topics do you guys think are most likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evolution, speciation, maybe something on the five kingdoms , like differences? Generic biological molecule questions, so an experiment explaining how to use an enzyme, just do a couple of those questions and look at the mark schemes, um... Some DNA stuff? And maybe some co enzyme questions. I think water might come up this time round. As for the 2nd chapter, I think food production will come up so fertilisers and stuff, and definitely things on vaccination !! And immune response, like what happens and the process of B lymphocyte activation and clonal selection/expansion etc. ! Haha, so in summary, ALOT. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
im screwed -.- someone revise with me?
Original post by morvenrkr
im screwed -.- someone revise with me?

sure

define:essential amino acid
Reply 136
Any idea what will come up in unit 1?
Original post by helpmeplease101
Any idea what will come up in unit 1?

Well January's and last June's didn't contain carbon dioxide transport or haemoglobin, so I'd suggest going over that. Translocation and cohesion tension theory etc. I think cells might be a big part, so like electron microscopy, a calculation for that. Maybe something on the lungs and gas exchange. And maybe cell membranes, but cell signalling probably won't come up, an I don't think spirometers will, or the heart, so SAN And AVN etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
I hate the immune system and vaccinations as in every past paper i do i get it wrong. And it comes up a lot, so frustrating.

Latest

Trending

Trending