The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by tiny hobbit
If the question doesn't say, either will do, but make sure if you are using point testing that you try all of the vertices of R and show your working.

There has recently been one question that told you to use an objective line and one question that told you to use point testing.

Quick question anyone...

When I'm doing the Objective Line method I'm not sure whether I should do mutiple Lines? And I'm not sure whether my Objective Line should be Dashed like this : - - - - - - - - - - -

Also if anyone is stuck, I am marking my Papers where I went wrong here is the 2 Markers that normally shows up on all Dijkstra's:

D1.png
Original post by Better
Quick question anyone...

When I'm doing the Objective Line method I'm not sure whether I should do mutiple Lines? And I'm not sure whether my Objective Line should be Dashed like this : - - - - - - - - - - -

Also if anyone is stuck, I am marking my Papers where I went wrong here is the 2 Markers that normally shows up on all Dijkstra's:

D1.png

You usually represent the profile line with dashes but in the exam , do indicate that the line is the profit.

Hope this helped.
If the question doesn't say, either will do, but make sure if you are using point testing that you try all of the vertices of R and show your working.

There has recently been one question that told you to use an objective line and one question that told you to use point testing.

I need to buy a set square before Friday then lol.

Does anybody else hate quicksorting words into alphabetical order? Numbers are so much easier and I find my self going through the alphabet in my head like a million times.
Reply 203
Is it worth doing the Solomon and old syllabus papers ( solving problems in current syllabus only ). Which would you think is better? Can only do one of them beside new syllabus papers.
Reply 204
Original post by Vaner
Is it worth doing the Solomon and old syllabus papers ( solving problems in current syllabus only ). Which would you think is better? Can only do one of them beside new syllabus papers.

No the Solomon useless for D1. Old Syllabus yes but there aren't really enough questions. Only around 4/8 questions can be done.

Does anyone know on algorithm questions whether you get penalised for putting in Data one row too low or too high?

Reply 205
Original post by Better
No the Solomon useless for D1. Old Syllabus yes but there aren't really enough questions. Only around 4/8 questions can be done.

Does anyone know on algorithm questions whether you get penalised for putting in Data one row too low or too high?

What do you think of the review excercises? Should I give them a go? Sorry for asking too much, but exam is on friday, and I only have time to do one extra beside new syllabus mistakes/Revision/jan2013.

As for your question, are you reffering for DP? Just stick to what he says, or like 4dp for all.
Reply 206
GUYS what're the main areas in D1?
Reply 207
Original post by Vaner
What do you think of the review excercises? Should I give them a go? Sorry for asking too much, but exam is on friday, and I only have time to do one extra beside new syllabus mistakes/Revision/jan2013.

As for your question, are you reffering for DP? Just stick to what he says, or like 4dp for all.

I'm not sure how to help, sorry. You can only really score above 70/75 in D1 if you've done and marked every Paper. It's not like C3 or C4 where you cram and get 80UMS-90UMS just if your algebra is good, and you write/check your work in each step like an accountant.

But to not be a party pooper. Go to Current Spec Papers, do 3 Today and Mark, 3 Tomorrow and Mark. Don't do the review exercises there isn't time.
(edited 10 years ago)
PREDICTIONS ABOUT THIS EXAM

The topics that could crop up this year are the following

1) Quick sort
2) Bubble sort
3) using a presdence table to draw the whole thing chart out with dummy activities
4) I have a feeling they could ask the definitions of tree, connected graph, spanning tree
5) there will 100% be either Gannt chart or scheduling
6) Bin packing could come as they did not ask this topic since June 2012

Quick sort is a must, I am sure that would come as they have not asked this for nearly 2 years now
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys, so could anyone answer the quick question I had yesterday:

Original post by posthumus
A little help here guys please :smile: ...

Critical Path Analysis.png

I thought here there would be 2 routes (or paths) to the end node...

BDJ
BDHL

I realize that they said to state the critical activities and not the "critical path" ... maybe this is why I got it wrong.

So had they asked for the critical path, would my above answer be correct ? :smile:

Thanks in advance

It's a silly question I guess.. just need reassurance :biggrin:
Original post by posthumus
Hey guys, so could anyone answer the quick question I had yesterday:

It's a silly question I guess.. just need reassurance :biggrin:

You are correct that there are 2 paths. They asked for critical activities, which you have listed, but they didn't need to be given as paths. I'm sure your answer would be fine. Their wording doesn't give away the fact there are 2 paths.
You are correct that there are 2 paths. They asked for critical activities, which you have listed, but they didn't need to be given as paths. I'm sure your answer would be fine. Their wording doesn't give away the fact there are 2 paths.

Thanks for the resonse :biggrin: It's these little things in D1 you have to really look out for ! :tongue:
Does any one know the way of writing in D1 paper i heard that the d1 paper requires answers with clear explanation about how u worked out the answer if any get holds of any model paper of this sort let me know asap
Original post by afserrahuman
Does any one know the way of writing in D1 paper i heard that the d1 paper requires answers with clear explanation about how u worked out the answer if any get holds of any model paper of this sort let me know asap

Just read the mark schemes and make sure that you do everything that they do.
Reply 214
Just read the mark schemes and make sure that you do everything that they do.

Sorry everyone I know this isn't relevant to D1.

Actually Tiny Hobbit seeing as you are here atm, do you have a Website or anything for C3/C4 tips? Maths24/7 do you have any tips as well, from past experience with students.

I feel like I am really lagging behind in C3/C4 and I'm finding the Solomon Press difficult. I'm on straight B's in the 6 C3/C4 Solomon Press I've done, (I'm usually get around 58/75 on the Solomon) but I need an A* for my Uni Requirements.

My marks are making me not want to do papers....Is there anything you could advise, i.e. the frequency I should be doing the papers from now until the Exam.
Original post by Better
Sorry everyone I know this isn't relevant to D1.

Actually Tiny Hobbit seeing as you are here atm, do you have a Website or anything for C3/C4 tips? Maths24/7 do you have any tips as well, from past experience with students.

I feel like I am really lagging behind in C3/C4 and I'm finding the Solomon Press difficult. I'm on straight B's in the 6 C3/C4 Solomon Press I've done, (I'm usually get around 58/75 on the Solomon) but I need an A* for my Uni Requirements.

My marks are making me not want to do papers....Is there anything you could advise, i.e. the frequency I should be doing the papers from now until the Exam.

It sounds as though your knowledge/understanding of the subject matter isn't yet as good as it should be. Looking through your textbook or notes for any bits that you aren't sure about may fill in some of the gaps. Not everything will have come up on past papers. It's the job of the examiners to try to think of new questions, not just repeat old ones with the numbers changed.
Reply 216
It sounds as though your knowledge/understanding of the subject matter isn't yet as good as it should be. Looking through your textbook or notes for any bits that you aren't sure about may fill in some of the gaps. Not everything will have come up on past papers. It's the job of the examiners to try to think of new questions, not just repeat old ones with the numbers changed.

Oh wow, very glad I asked, yes that's probably why, I always take a few days to pick up on the mistakes I've made. That's likely the problem then....I'm not actually improving my Knowledge Base /Learning from what I don't understand hence why my average mark stays the same.

Okay perfect! Thanks Tiny Hobbit, that's encouraged me, I'll keep up the work.
Can we use pencil for D1? Or won't it scan ?
Reply 218
Original post by theseeker
Can we use pencil for D1? Or won't it scan ?

It might not show on the scan, so it's better to use a pen. Or draw several times over the lines if you're using a pencil. But try to use a pen. :smile: :smile: :smile: Oh and take a 30cm rule as the linear programming problems are hard to do with a short rule. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 219
What is the topic everyone seems to make errors on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending