The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metaltron
Here's a question everybody should be able to have a go at:

Problem 131 (*)

Find the sum of squares of all real roots of the polynomial: Find \ the \ sum \ of \ squares \ of \ all \ real \ roots \ of \ the \ polynomial:

f(x)=x57x3+2x230x+6 f(x) = x^5 - 7x^3 + 2x^2 -30x + 6

If you find it easy, please wait for somebody else to post an answer!

x^5 - 7x^3 + 2x^2 -30x + 6=(x^2+3) (x^3-10 x+2)
a,b,c be the real roots:
(a^2+b^2+c^2)=(a+b+c)^2-2(ab+ac+bc)
Vieta tells us:
=0^2-2(-10)=20
Original post by ben-smith
x^5 - 7x^3 + 2x^2 -30x + 6=(x^2+3) (x^3-10 x+2)
a,b,c be the real roots:
(a^2+b^2+c^2)=(a+b+c)^2-2(ab+ac+bc)
Vieta tells us:
=0^2-2(-10)=20

Well done, the trick was in factorising the polynomial, though you didn't show how you did it in the solution. Also, how can you guarantee that all the roots of the cubic are real?
Reply 902
Original post by shamika
When you say algebraic number theory, do you mean things like number fields, calculating class numbers, cyclotomic fields and that kind of thing? My experience is that the hard part is learning the prerequisite algebra, the algebraic number theory part is very straightforward.

To that end, you need a good introduction to rings. I reckon the best way to get that (and algebraic number theory) is via online lecture notes. Search for some and see what comes up

Number fields - that is it. Broadly speaking, my aims are understanding of the techniques of Galois cohomology, and their applications in global class field theory; understanding the axioms of class formation; and, to some extent, the Brauer group.
In addition, Riemann - Roch theory, more specifically Grothendieck groups and his theorem.

I have been told that Commutative Ring Theory by Matsumura is more than sufficient. What is your view?

Original post by metaltron
Well done, the trick was in factorising the polynomial, though you didn't show how you did it in the solution. Also, how can you guarantee that all the roots of the cubic are real?

Let f(x)=x310x+2f(x) = x^{3}-10x+2. Note that ff is continuous in R\mathbb{R}, and f(4)<0f(-4)<0, f(0)>0f(0)>0, f(2)<0f(2)<0, and f(4)>0f(4)>0.

Problem 136*

Let f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} be a strictly increasing invertible function such that for all xRx \in \mathbb{R} we have f(x)+f1(x)=ex1f(x)+f^{-1}(x)=e^{x}-1. Prove that ff has at most one fixed point.

Problem 137**

Find all continuous functions f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} which satisfy f(f(x))2f(x)+x=0f(f(x))-2f(x)+x=0 for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}.

Problem 138***

Let P(X)P(X) be an irreducible polynomial over Z[X]\mathbb{Z}[X]. Show that P(XY)P(XY) is irreducible over Z[X,Y]\mathbb{Z}[X,Y].
Original post by Mladenov

For number theory, I use Niven's An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, Vinogradov's Elements of Number Theory, Borevich and Shafarevic's Number Theory, and I am to buy Lang's Algebraic Number Theory. Would you suggest anything else for algebraic number theory?

Algebra - Lang's Undergraduate Algebra and Lang's Algebra, Waerden's Algebra, and Kostrikin's An Introduction to Algebra. I am planning to buy Weibel's An Introduction to Homological Algebra, since it is essential when it comes to algebraic number theory, and more specifically - class field theory.

Would you advise some books, I should be grateful.

You have some serious literature (which is good). I have used Niven's book too; it is very good. I cannot say much about Vinogradov's and Borevich and Shafarevich's books. My choices were Ireland and Rosen's book, for a more algebraic approach, and Neukirch's book (which you can possibly combine with Murty's book). I have copies of Lang's Algebra and his Undergraduate Algebra. I also try to use books that do not overlap (much) in content. I am not sure you will be needing Homological Algebra in the near future.

Take a look here (taken from) and here (taken from) for structural information. This can be useful too. As Shamika says, you will need good foundation in rings, modules and Galois theory. Lecture notes are available here and here (EDIT: and here).

I can't think of anything more right now.

EDIT: Most of these books cost a fortune. It may be best if you borrow them from a (university) library. For example, all of these are available in Cam's library.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 904
Original post by jack.hadamard
You have some serious literature (which is good). I have used Niven's book too; it is very good. I cannot say much about Vinogradov's and Borevich and Shafarevich's books. My choices were Ireland and Rosen's book, for a more algebraic approach, and Neukirch's book (which you can possibly combine with Murty's book). I have copies of Lang's Algebra and his Undergraduate Algebra. I also try to use books that do not overlap (much) in content. I am not sure you will be needing Homological Algebra in the near future.

Take a look here (taken from) and here (taken from) for structural information. This can be useful too. As Shamika says, you will need good foundation in rings, modules and Galois theory. Lecture notes are available here and here (EDIT: and here).

I can't think of anything more right now.

EDIT: Most of these books cost a fortune. It may be best if you borrow them from a (university) library. For example, all of these are available in Cam's library.

I am grateful to you; this is a considerable amount of resources.

Vinogradov's book treats analytic number theory (hence not quite relevant). It is not as deep as Apostol's book, yet there are lots of good exercises.
Borevich and Shafarevich's book is one of the best. It is a shame that this book is currently out of print. I have the Russian edition. :biggrin:

I consider Lang's Algebra a bit demanding; also he never explains his motivation.

By the way, Murty's book will be very beneficial.

Unfortunately, I will have to buy these books, as I do not have permission to borrow books from university libraries.
This has been a terrible day for me, maths-wise. I shall leave 136 for someone else, since people have been asking for (*) q's.

Solution 137

f(x)=x+h(x)h(x+h(x))=h(x)h(x+nh(x))=h(x)h=cnst.()f(x)=x+h(x)\Rightarrow h(x+h(x))=h(x)\Rightarrow h(x+nh(x))=h(x)\Rightarrow h=\text{cnst.}^{(*)}

() ^{(*)} if hh were non-constant there is an interval [x0,x1][x_0,x_1] for which h(x0)<h(x1)h(x_0)<h(x_1) and hh(x0),h(x1)h\neq h(x_0),h(x_1) for x(x0,x1)x\in (x_0,x_1). Define yn=x0+nh(x0)y_n=x_0+nh(x_0) and zn=x1+nh(x1)z_n=x_1+nh(x_1). Then we have hh(x0),h(x1)h\neq h(x_0),h(x_1) for x(yn,zn)x\in (y_n,z_n) . But since znynz_n-y_n\to\infty there will exist ii such that yi+1(yi,zi)h(yi+1)(h(x0),h(x1))y_{i+1}\in (y_i,z_i)\Rightarrow h(y_{i+1})\in (h(x_0),h(x_1))\Rightarrow \Leftarrow
(edited 10 years ago)

I consider Lang's Algebra a bit demanding; also he never explains his motivation.

You are welcome. This blog also provides a useful guide: the missing article by Sam Ruth can be found here (he has removed it for some reason). Lang's Algebra becomes useful only after you have learnt most of the basic and intermediate stuff and have gained enough intuition/maturity; it is often used as a reference and not a book to learn from. Are you going to university this year? If this is the case, then you could wait a couple of months (for some of the books).

Problem 139 / **

Given an integer-valued polynomial, can you always find some values such that their sum is divisible by nNn \in \mathbb{N}?
Original post by ben-smith
Problem 132

Is this Feynman integration?
Reply 908
Solution 139

Fix nn. We work in Z/nZ\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}.

Let P(m)P(m) be an integer-valued polynomial. Clearly, there are infinitely many miZm_{i} \in \mathbb{Z}, iZ+i\in \mathbb{Z^{+}} such that P(m)P(m) is constant over the set {miiZ+}\{ m_{i} | i \in \mathbb{Z^{+}} \}. Hence, we can always choose nn elements from the set {miiZ+}\{ m_{i} | i \in \mathbb{Z^{+}} \}, and i=1nP(mi)=0\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} P(m_{i}) = 0.

You are welcome. This blog also provides a useful guide: the missing article by Sam Ruth can be found here (he has removed it for some reason). Lang's Algebra becomes useful only after you have learnt most of the basic and intermediate stuff and have gained enough intuition/maturity; it is often used as a reference and not a book to learn from. Are you going to university this year? If this is the case, then you could wait a couple of months (for some of the books).

I had found Lang's Undergraduate Algebra quite easy to comprehend, and thus I decided to buy his Algebra.

Yep, I am finishing high school this year.

Problem 140*

Evaluate v=112vv2\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^{v}v^{2}}.

Problem 141**

Let fCf \in C^{\infty} for x>0x>0, and 0(1)nf(n)(x)ex0 \le (-1)^{n}f^{(n)}(x) \le e^{-x} for all x>0x >0 and nZ+{0}n \in \mathbb{Z^{+}} \cup \{0\}. Find ff.

Remark: f(n)(x)f^{(n)}(x) is the nnth derivative of ff.
Solution 140

Right, after the recent discussion on the STEP solutions thread about integral notation, I need to be careful here not to mix up bound and free variables.

Lemma (is this the right time to use a lemma? :colondollar:)

r=11r2=π26\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{r^{2}} = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{6} (the Basel problem for those who haven't seen it)

v=112vv2\displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{2^{v} v^{2}}

Consider v=1xv1\displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} x^{v-1} for x<1=11x|x| < 1 = \dfrac{1}{1-x}

v=1xvv=0x11tdt=ln1x()v=1xv1v=ln1xx\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}}{v} = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{x} \dfrac{1}{1-t} dt = - \ln |1-x| (*) \Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v-1}}{v} = -\dfrac{\ln |1-x|}{x}

v=1xvv2=0xln1ttdt\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}}{v^{2}} = - \displaystyle\int_{0}^{x} \dfrac{\ln |1-t|}{t} dt

The sum in question, v=112vv2\displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{2^{v} v^{2}} (call it S\mathcal{S}) is for x=12x=\frac{1}{2}, thus:

S=01/2ln1xxdx\mathcal{S} = - \displaystyle\int_{0}^{1/2} \dfrac{\ln |1-x|}{x} dx. Applying 1xx1-x \to x we get:

01/2ln1xxdx=1/21lnx1xdx- \displaystyle\int_{0}^{1/2} \dfrac{\ln |1-x|}{x} dx = - \displaystyle\int_{1/2}^{1} \dfrac{ \ln x}{1-x} dx

1/21lnx1xdx=r=01/21xrlnxdxI- \displaystyle\int_{1/2}^{1} \dfrac{ \ln x}{1-x} dx = - \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \underbrace{\displaystyle\int_{1/2}^{1} x^{r} \ln x dx}_{\mathcal{I}}

By parts, I=[xr+1lnxr+1xr+1(r+1)2]1/21=[xr+1lnx(r+1)xr+1(r+1)2]1/21\mathcal{I} = \left[ \dfrac{x^{r+1} \ln x}{r+1} - \dfrac{x^{r+1}}{(r+1)^{2}} \right]_{1/2}^{1} = \left[ \dfrac{x^{r+1} \ln x (r+1) - x^{r+1}}{(r+1)^{2}} \right]_{1/2}^{1}

=1(r+1)2+ln22r+1(r+1)+12r+1(r+1)2= \dfrac{-1}{(r+1)^{2}} + \dfrac{\ln 2}{2^{r+1} (r+1)} + \dfrac{1}{2^{r+1} (r+1)^{2}}

S=r=0(1(r+1)2π26by Lemma+ln22r+1(r+1)S2+12r+1(r+1)2S)\Rightarrow \mathcal{S} = -\displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \left( \underbrace{\dfrac{-1}{(r+1)^{2}}}_{-\frac{\pi^{2}}{6} \text{by Lemma}} + \underbrace{\dfrac{\ln 2}{2^{r+1} (r+1)}}_{\mathcal{S}_{2}} + \underbrace{\dfrac{1}{2^{r+1} (r+1)^{2}}}_{\mathcal{S}} \right)

S2=ln2r=012r+1(r+1)=ln2ln(112)\mathcal{S}_{2} = \ln2 \cdot \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{2^{r+1} (r+1)} = \ln 2 \cdot -\ln \left(1 - \frac{1}{2} \right) (by ()(*) applying x=12x = \frac{1}{2}) =ln22 = \ln^{2} 2

S=(π26+ln22+S)S=π212ln222\mathcal{S} = -\left( -\dfrac{\pi^{2}}{6} + \ln^{2} 2 + \mathcal{S} \right) \Rightarrow \mathcal{S} = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{12} - \dfrac{\ln^{2} 2}{2}

I had found Lang's Undergraduate Algebra quite easy to comprehend, and thus I decided to buy his Algebra.

In the foreword, he says that his Undergraduate Algebra and Linear Algebra provide more than enough background for a graduate course, but does not say that they are sufficient for reading his Algebra book. :tongue: Nevertheless, many of the examples come from different areas of the undergraduate curriculum; to make full use of this book you need an undergraduate degree.

Let's now make the problem more concrete.

Extension to Problem 139 / **

i) Let a1,a2,...,anZa_1, a_2, ..., a_n \in \mathbb{Z}. Prove that there exists I{1,2,...,n}I \subset \{1, 2, ..., n\} such that

iIai0 (n)\displaystyle \sum_{i \in I} a_i \equiv 0\ (n).

ii) How much more difficult does it become (and how many integers do we need to start with) in order to guarantee that there will be a subset, II, of cardinality exactly nn having the same property?
Reply 911
Solution 139 (2)

Part i)
We consider the numbers 0,a1,a1+a2,,a1+a2++an0,a_{1}, a_{1}+a_{2}, \cdots, a_{1}+a_{2}+\cdots+a_{n}. These are n+1n+1. Hence at least two of them are congruent modulo nn. Therefore, there exists II such that iIai0(modn)\displaystyle \sum_{i \in I} a_{i} \equiv 0 \pmod n.
Note that I={1,2,,n}I=\{1,2,\cdots,n\} is also possible. For example, when all aia_{i} are 1(modn)\equiv 1 \pmod n.
The following is also true:
Let nn be an arbitrary positive integer. Suppose a1,,aka_{1},\cdots, a_{k} are given integers, which give at least nk+1n-k+1 distinct remainders (modn)\pmod n. Then there is I{1,2,,k}I \subseteq \{1,2,\cdots, k\} such that iIai0(modn)\displaystyle \sum_{i\in I} a_{i} \equiv 0 \pmod n.

Part ii)

It is quite well-known that if GG is an additively written abelian group, card(G)=ncard(G)=n, for some positive integer nn, then, if aiGa_{i} \in G, for i{1,2,,2n1}i \in \{1,2, \cdots, 2n-1\}, we can represent ee - the unit element of GG, as a sum of the elements of SS, where S{a1,a2,,a2n1}S \subset \{a_{1},a_{2}, \cdots, a_{2n-1}\}, and card(S)=ncard(S) = n.
Hence, if we commence with 2n12n-1 integers, there always will be I{1,2,,2n1}I \subset \{1,2, \cdots , 2n-1\}, card(I)=ncard(I)=n, such that iIai0(modn)\displaystyle \sum_{i \in I} a_{i} \equiv 0 \pmod n.
Another way to prove this is the following:
First: it is true when nn is a prime number.
Second: If the result is true for n=a,bn=a,b, where a,bZ+a,b \in \mathbb{Z^{+}}, then it is true for n=abn=ab.

Part ii)

It is quite well-known that...

You have got quite a few rabbits in your hat. :tongue: I intended to ask for a general comment. For the people who don't know the result, this is known as Erdős–Ginzburg–Ziv theorem (EGZ). The proof you referred to is a beautiful application of the Chevalley-Warning theorem.

In fact, John Olson generalised EGZ to any finite group (abelian or not).
Reply 913
The proof you referred to is a beautiful application of the Chevalley-Warning theorem.

Precisely.

In fact, John Olson generalised EGZ to any finite group (abelian or not).

Apropos, I knew not that the result is still true in the non-abelian case.

Here are some * questions.

Problem 142*

Evaluate v=1xvsinvαv\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^{v} \sin v\alpha}{v}, (x<1|x| <1).
Hence, find v=1sinvxv\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin vx}{v}, (0<x<2π0<x< 2\pi). Can you evaluate v=1sinvxv3\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin vx}{v^{3}}, (0x2π0 \le x \le 2\pi)?

Problem 143*

Prove that 1nv=1n(1+12v)2v(1+1n+1)n+1\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\sum_{v=1}^{n} \left(1+ \frac{1}{2v} \right)^{2v} \le \left(1+ \frac{1}{n+1} \right)^{n+1}.

Problem 144*

There are several castles in one country and three roads lead from every castle. A knight leaves his castle. Traveling around the country he leaves every new castle via the road that is either to the right or to the left of the one by which he arrived. According to The Rule the knight never takes the same direction (right or left) twice in a row. Prove that some day he will return to his own castle.
Reply 914

Problem 142*

Evaluate v=1xvsinvαv\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^{v} \sin v\alpha}{v}, (x<1|x| <1).
Hence, find v=1sinvxv\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin vx}{v}, (0<x<2π0<x< 2\pi). Can you evaluate v=1sinvxv3\displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin vx}{v^{3}}, (0x2π0 \le x \le 2\pi)?

Solution 142 (so far)

Consider that, summing the geometric sequence, we have:

v=1xv1eiva=eia1xeia[br][br]v=1xveivav=0xeia1zeiadz[br][br]v=1xveivav=eia[1eialn(1zeia)]0x[br][br]v=1xveivav=ln(1xeia) \displaystyle \sum_{v=1}^\infty x^ {v-1} e^{iva} = \frac {e^{ia}}{1- x e^{ia}}[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}e^{iva}}{v} = \displaystyle\int_{0}^{x} \frac{e^{ia}}{1-ze^{ia}} dz[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}e^{iva}}{v} = e^{ia} \left[ \frac {-1}{e^{ia}} ln (1- z e^{ia}) \right]_0^x[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}e^{iva}}{v} = - ln (1- x e^{ia})

Now, suppose we have an imaginary number z, such that,

z=x+iy=reit z= x+ iy= r e^{it} (where t is the argument of z.}
[br][br]ln(x+iy)=ln(r)+it[br][br]Im[ln(x+iy)]=t=arctan(yx)[br][br]\Rightarrow ln (x+iy) = ln (r) + it[br][br]\Rightarrow Im \left[ ln (x+iy) \right] = t= arctan (\frac{y}{x})

Now, consider that,

[br][br]1xeia=(1xcosa)isina[br][br]Im[v=1xveivav]=Im[ln(1xeia)][br][br]v=1xvsinavv=arctan(xsina1xcosa)=arctan(xsina1xcosa)[br][br][br][br]1- xe^{ia} = (1- x \cos a) - i \sin a[br][br]\Rightarrow Im \left[\displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v}e^{iva}}{v} \right] = - Im \left[ln (1- x e^{ia}) \right][br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{v} \sin {av} }{v} = - arctan (\frac{-x \sin a}{1- x \cos a}) = arctan (\frac{x \sin a}{1- x \cos a})[br][br]

Now, substituting 1 in place of x in this formula and x instead of a, we get,

[br][br]v=1sinvxv=arctan(sinx1cosx)=arctan(cotx2)[br][br]\displaystyle\sum_{v=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{ \sin {vx} }{v} = arctan ( \frac { \sin x}{1- \cos x })= arctan( \cot { \frac {x}{2}})

Let, t= pi/2 - x/2

[br][br]arctan(cotx2)=arctan(tant)=t=πx2[br][br][br][br]\Rightarrow arctan ( cot \frac {x}{2}) = arctan ( \tan t) = t = \frac { \pi - x}{2}[br][br]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 915
Original post by MW24595
Solution 142 (so far)

Well. There is only one point - you can't simply substitute x=1x=1, as the radius of convergence is x<1|x| <1. I mean, you need to justify it.
Ach, doing my best to ignore this thread but I love series and integrals too much. Here are alternative solutions to 140 and 142:

Solution 140

Differentiation under the integral sign!

v1xv1=11xv112vv2=012ln(1x)xdx\displaystyle \sum_{v\geq 1}x^{v-1}=\frac{1}{1-x}\Rightarrow \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{2^vv^2}=-\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac{\ln (1-x)}{x}\,dx

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \begin{aligned}\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac{\ln (1-x)}{x}\,dx\overset{x\to \frac{x}{2}}=\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-\frac{x}{2})}{x}\,dx \overset{ \text{IBP}}=\int_0^1 \frac{\ln x}{2-x}\,dt \overset{x\to 1-x}=\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-x)}{1+x}\,dx

f(t)=01ln(1tx)1+xdxf(t)=01xdx(tx1)(1+x)=01dxtx1+01dx(t+1)(1+x)01tdx(tx1)(t+1)=ln(1t)t+ln2t+1ln(1t)1+t\displaystyle \begin{aligned}f(t)=\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-tx)}{1+x}\,dx\Rightarrow f'(t) &= \int_0^1 \frac{x\,dx}{(tx-1)(1+x)} \\&= \int_0^1 \frac{dx}{tx-1}+\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{(t+1)(1+x)}-\int_0^1 \frac{t\,dx}{(tx-1)(t+1)}\\& =\frac{\ln (1-t)}{t}+\frac{\ln 2}{t+1} -\frac{\ln (1-t)}{1+t}\end{aligned}

Everything falls into place now:

f(1)=01ln(1t)1+tdt=01ln(1t)tdt+01ln2t+1dt01ln(1t)1+tdt\displaystyle f(1) =\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-t)}{1+t}dt=\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-t)}{t}\,dt+\int_0^1\frac{\ln 2}{t+1}\,dt-\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-t)}{1+t}\,dt

f(1)=12(01ln(1t)tdt01ln2t+1)dt=π212ln222\displaystyle -f(1) =\frac{1}{2}\left(-\int_0^1 \frac{\ln (1-t)}{t}\,dt-\int_0^1\frac{\ln 2}{t+1}\right)\,dt=\frac{\pi^2}{12}-\frac{\ln^2 2}{2}

Solution 142

We can evaluate the sum directly:

gn=v=1nsinvxv=v=1n0xcosvtdt=120xcsct2sin(t2(2n+1))1dt\displaystyle\begin{aligned} g_n = \sum_{v=1}^n \frac{\sin vx}{v}=\sum_{v=1}^n \int_0^x \cos vt \,dt =\frac{1}{2}\int_0^x \csc \frac{t}{2}\sin \left(\frac{t}{2}(2n+1) \right)-1\,dt \end{aligned}

The trick is now to use that csct22t\csc \frac{t}{2}\sim \frac{2}{t} near 0 0 to get rid of a bunch of stuff:

gn=0x1tsin(t2(2n+1))dtαn+120x(csct22t)sin(t2(2n+1))dtβnx2\displaystyle\begin{aligned} g_n = \underbrace{\int_0^x \frac{1}{t}\sin \left(\frac{t}{2}(2n+1) \right) dt}_{\alpha_n}+\frac{1}{2} \underbrace{\int_0^x \left(\csc \frac{t}{2}-\frac{2}{t}\right)\sin \left(\frac{t}{2}(2n+1) \right)dt}_{\beta_n}-\frac{x}{2}\end{aligned}

As n:n\to\infty:

αn=0x1tsin(t2(2n+1))dt=t2(2n+1)t0x2(2n+1)sinttdtπ2\alpha_n= \displaystyle\int_0^x \frac{1}{t}\sin \left(\frac{t}{2}(2n+1) \right) dt\overset{\frac{t}{2}(2n+1)\to t}=\int_0^{\frac{x}{2}(2n+1)} \frac{\sin t}{t}\,dt\to \frac{\pi}{2}

\begin{aligned} \beta_n = \displaystyle \left[\frac{\cos \left(\frac{t}{2}(2n+1)\right) \left(\csc\frac{t}{2}-\frac{2}{t}\right)}{2n+1}\right]_0^{x} +\frac{1}{2n+1}\int_0^x\cos \left( \frac{t}{2}(2n+1)\right)\left( \cot \frac{t}{2} \csc\frac{t}{2}-\frac{4}{t^2}\right)\,dt\to 0

Hence gnv1sinvxv=πx2\displaystyle g_n\to \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v}=\frac{\pi-x}{2}

Furthermore, observe that:

\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \int_0^x\int_0^{t_1}\cdots \int_0^{t_{2k-1}} \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vt_{2k}}{v}\,dt_{2k}\cdots dt_1=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^x\int_0^{t_1}\cdots \int_0^{t_{2k-1}} \pi -t_{2k}\, dt_{2k}\cdots\, dt_1

gives:

\displaystyle\begin{aligned} (-1)^k\sum_{v\geq 1} \frac{\sin vx}{v^{2k+1}}+\sum_{i=1}^{k} \left( \frac{(-1)^{k+i+1}x^{2(k-i)+1}}{(2(k-i)+1)!}\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^{2i}} \right)= \frac{x^{2k}}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{(2k)!}-\frac{x}{(2k+1)!}\right)

v1sinvxv2k+1=(1)k[x2k2(π(2k)!x(2k+1)!)+i=1k(1)ix2(ki)+1ζ(2i)(2(ki)+1)!]    ()\displaystyle \sum_{v\geq 1} \frac{\sin vx}{v^{2k+1}}=(-1)^k\left[ \frac{x^{2k}}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{(2k)!}-\frac{x}{(2k+1)!}\right)+\sum_{i=1}^{k} \frac{(-1)^ix^{2(k-i)+1}\zeta (2i)}{(2(k-i)+1)!}\right]\;\;(\clubsuit)

So, for instance:

v1sinvxv3=[x22(π2!x3!)xζ(2)]=π26xπ4x2+112x3\displaystyle\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v^{3}}=-\left[\frac{x^2}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{2!}-\frac{x}{3!}\right)-x\zeta(2) \right]=\frac{\pi^2}{6}x-\frac{\pi}{4}x^2+\frac{1}{12}x^3

v1sinvxv5=[x42(π4!x5!)+xζ(4)x3ζ(2)3!]=π490xπ236x3+π48x41240x5\displaystyle\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v^{5}}=\left[\frac{x^4}{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{4!}-\frac{x}{5!}\right)+ x\zeta(4) -\frac{x^3\zeta(2)}{3!}\right]=\frac{\pi^4}{90}x-\frac{\pi^2}{36}x^3+\frac{\pi}{48}x^4-\frac{1}{240}x^5

If we ignore knowledge of the ζ\zeta values, we can in fact construct an algorithm to derive them using the results above. For ζ(2)\zeta (2) (thus solving the Basel problem along the way):

v1sinvxv=πx20πv1sinvxvdx=0ππx2dxv11v2v1(1)vv2=π24    2k11(2k1)2=π24\displaystyle \begin{aligned}\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v}=\frac{\pi-x}{2} &\Rightarrow \int_0^{\pi} \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v}\,dx=\int_0^{\pi}\frac{\pi-x}{2}\,dx\\&\Rightarrow \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^2}-\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{(-1)^v}{v^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{4}\iff 2\sum_{k\geq 1}\frac{1}{(2k-1)^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{4}\end{aligned}

Noting that k11(2k1)2=v11v2v11(2v)2=34v11v2\displaystyle \sum_{k\geq 1}\frac{1}{(2k-1)^2}=\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^2}-\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{(2v)^2}=\frac{3}{4} \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^2} we get 32v11v2=π24v11v2=π26\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{4} \Rightarrow\sum_{v\geq 1} \frac{1}{v^2}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}

Now for the general step define for x(0,2π):  pk(x)=v1sinvxv2k1dxx\in (0,2\pi): \displaystyle\;p_k(x)=\sum_{v \geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v^{2k-1}}\,dx and π2kηk=0πpk(x)dx\displaystyle \pi^{2k}\eta_k=\int_0^{\pi} p_k(x)\,dx where ηkQ\eta_k\in\mathbb{Q}
((the fact that 0πpkdx\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}p_k \,dx can be written as ηkπ2k\eta_k \pi^{2k} follows from ()(\clubsuit) + induction))

0πv1sinvxv2k1dx=0πpk(x)dx    v11v2kv1(1)vv2k=π2kηk    (4k14k)v12v2k=π2kηk    ζ(2k)=π2kηk2(4k4k1)\displaystyle\begin{aligned}\int_0^{\pi}\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{\sin vx}{v^{2k-1}}\,dx=\int_0^{\pi} p_k(x)\,dx&\iff \sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{1}{v^{2k}}-\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{(-1)^v}{v^{2k}}=\pi^{2k}\eta_k \\&\iff\left(\frac{4^k-1}{4^k}\right)\sum_{v\geq 1}\frac{2}{v^{2k}}=\pi^{2k}\eta_k \\&\iff \zeta (2k)=\frac{ \pi^{2k}\eta_k}{2}\left(\frac{4^k}{4^k-1}\right) \end{aligned}

((in other words, the only thing we need to do to evaluate the next value of ζ(2n)\zeta (2n) is integrate a polynomial to get ηn)\eta_n)

For instance, integrating p2p_2 gives η2=148\eta_2 =\dfrac{1}{48} hence ζ(4)=π4η22(42421)=π490\zeta (4)=\displaystyle \frac{ \pi^{4}\eta_2}{2}\left(\frac{4^2 }{4^2-1}\right)=\frac{\pi^4}{90}

Incidentally this also shows that for any n,  ζ(2n)=qπ2nn,\; \zeta (2n)=q\pi^{2n} for some qQq\in\mathbb{Q}.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 917
Yet another way to do problem 140 without integration :biggrin::

Spoiler

Original post by Lord of the Flies

Mother of god... :adore:
Reply 919

This is the post I congratulated him for. My pantaloons are drenched from carnal delight. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest