The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Where did you teach and what teaching styles did your colleagues use, if you don't mind me asking. I'm working in ESL at the moment.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I taught in South Korea, and I worked differently with each co-teacher. Although all of them were actually co-teachers, some of my friends had co-teachers who would just read a newspaper in the back of class and slap a kid round the head if they got too rowdy.

What do you mean by teaching styles? How we split the teaching? Who took responsibility for what? Or specific things that they did?
Original post by Sarang_assa
I taught in South Korea, and I worked differently with each co-teacher. Although all of them were actually co-teachers, some of my friends had co-teachers who would just read a newspaper in the back of class and slap a kid round the head if they got too rowdy.

What do you mean by teaching styles? How we split the teaching? Who took responsibility for what? Or specific things that they did?

Thanks. I mean how you split the teaching. Did one teacher take the first half of the class and the other the second, or did you teach alternate classes?

Original post by Sarang_assa
Ooh I start in a year 5 class on the 13th. So nervous! I'm repeating my first placement, and I'm hoping that because I already did 5 weeks the first time round I have a bit of a better idea what to expect this time, and it will be nice starting at 20% teaching and working my way up again. I was in year 2 last time and have zero ks2 experience so rather scared!

I guess as you're on your final placement you're responsible for most of the teaching. Could you maybe use the first lesson of a new unit to gauge where they are and then plan the rest from there?

Maybe try doing plenty of thinking and pair discussion during the whole class teaching part so you can get a good idea of their level of understanding before you send them off to do their independent work. Have you tried asking your mentor for ideas too?

How do you find behaviour management and attitudes with year 5? Do they still like stickers and pleasing the teacher or has that started to wear off? And if you don't mind me asking, what story books are you reading as a class? I'd like to read a couple before I start jsut to get an idea of what they enjoy, thanks! x

Thanks for the advice.

I just stick to the school's reward system, such as house points. Or verbal praise. For Literacy, we're looking at The Highwayman, having just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Good luck!
Thanks. I mean how you split the teaching. Did one teacher take the first half of the class and the other the second, or did you teach alternate classes?

Ah, ok

So I taught 5 grade 5 lessons, 5 grade 3 lessons with one teacher. She would plan the grade 5, I would plan the grade 3, and then we'd each kind of 'lead' the lessons we planned but pretty much teach them together. So say there were 4 parts of the lesson, I'd do two, she'd do two. With the other person monitoring and controlling the computer.

With my grade 4 teacher, we would get together the week before to discuss next weeks lessons, she would plan the lesson and I would make suggests for games/intros/plenaries that weren't in the book (although we had to use the text books so not too much planning was involved), when it came to actually teaching the lesson, she would do it mainly in Korean as she was nervous about her English, so I was mainly a human parrot.

With my grade 4/5 teacher I would plan all the lessons and she would support, translating bits into Korean when necessary. This was my favourite pairing to be honest as I had a lot more freedom to try new ideas and she'd leave me to teach by myself sometimes which I loved.

With my grade 3/5 teacher, I would plan the lessons the week before and show her, then she'd change them all :tongue:. She was very insistent on using only English and we each took charge of our own bits. So she'd do the first part, I'd do the 2nd, she'd do the 3rd part of the lesson and so on whilst the other monitored/assisted. We used to come up with little role plays too which was cool, I always loved getting dresed up.

And with my final grade 3 teacher, it was always really clumsy as we never talked through the lesson until the morning off. She was quite shy with her English and it felt a bit awkward at times. I would mainly teach what was planned and then she'd repeat it in Korean, which I found quite frustrating as they learnt that they didn't have to listen to me give instructions in English as she would give them in Korean.

Sorry for the v long reply, but each experience felt so different. Definitely learnt the importance of communication lol!! Where are you teaching? Do you co-teach?
Reply 2064
Original post by *Interrobang*
Or what about anagrams/countdown style activities? Who can make the longest word for example?

Hey they loved the anagrams! I think I'm going to make the students teach the class something once a week hen do some kind of anagram activity boys v girls for the other session as that really got them on board Thanks!
Original post by xxmijxx
Hey they loved the anagrams! I think I'm going to make the students teach the class something once a week hen do some kind of anagram activity boys v girls for the other session as that really got them on board Thanks!

No worries, glad it was useful :smile:
Just had yet another horrid lesson. There are three boys who almost always cause trouble. I managed to speak to one boy's mother though, so we'll see what the behaviour is like next week. My technology took ages to load so I couldn't show them the video I had planned. Overall, an awful hour. I'm not cut out for this.
Just had yet another horrid lesson. There are three boys who almost always cause trouble. I managed to speak to one boy's mother though, so we'll see what the behaviour is like next week. My technology took ages to load so I couldn't show them the video I had planned. Overall, an awful hour. I'm not cut out for this.

You ARE cut out for this- what's one bad hour compared to a lifetime of successful teaching? You'll get better at this, it's all part of the learning curve. You've already made a step in the right direction by talking to the boy's mother. That's fantastic- if she's on your side, you can count on her support. I've always thought that persistent trouble makers should have their mums and dads follow them around school for the day... they wouldn't look so cool then.

Just keep positive- you CAN do this. Are there kids that are learning? If yes, it's all down to you.
Nothing more annoying than when you spend nearly half of your bank holiday weekend planning 2 year 10 lessons (I find KS4 really difficult to plan for) complete with full lesson plan and ppt, and the regular class teacher decides that she is going to take the class, and then proceeds to have them copy out of the text book for the entire time. Because that is SO much better than the lessons I busted a gut to plan.
Original post by smartarse1983
Nothing more annoying than when you spend nearly half of your bank holiday weekend planning 2 year 10 lessons (I find KS4 really difficult to plan for) complete with full lesson plan and ppt, and the regular class teacher decides that she is going to take the class, and then proceeds to have them copy out of the text book for the entire time. Because that is SO much better than the lessons I busted a gut to plan.

That's ridiculous - if you'd planned the lessons surely they should have let you teach them! (Unless there are exceptional circumstances like Ofsted when you'd expect them to take the classes back). What was their reason for taking the lesson back off you? Will you be able to use the stuff you'd planned for them another week or is it totally wasted?

I'm quite glad I got all my KS4 experience in my first placement (November to January), well away from the exam season. I was in a 14-18 school, and I bet it's really stressful there now with all the exam pressure, but I'm now in a KS3 only school, so there are no GCSEs to worry about, just a lot of demotivated Y9s who know they're dropping the subject next year so don't care any more.
Original post by myrtille
That's ridiculous - if you'd planned the lessons surely they should have let you teach them! (Unless there are exceptional circumstances like Ofsted when you'd expect them to take the classes back). What was their reason for taking the lesson back off you? Will you be able to use the stuff you'd planned for them another week or is it totally wasted?

I'm quite glad I got all my KS4 experience in my first placement (November to January), well away from the exam season. I was in a 14-18 school, and I bet it's really stressful there now with all the exam pressure, but I'm now in a KS3 only school, so there are no GCSEs to worry about, just a lot of demotivated Y9s who know they're dropping the subject next year so don't care any more.

They think OSTED may be in next week - so she wanted to take the class back so that if they do come in, she has a better feel of where they are all at.
Most stressful week of my PGCE done and dusted! I have only a week and a half left of the placement and only uni to go! Thank god I've finally got a job lined up for September after 4 interviews wooooo! Not long now everyone!
Reply 2072
Original post by smartarse1983
They think OSTED may be in next week - so she wanted to take the class back so that if they do come in, she has a better feel of where they are all at.

Surely she'd be better to circulate and assess during your lesson for that?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StarBabyCat
Most stressful week of my PGCE done and dusted! I have only a week and a half left of the placement and only uni to go! Thank god I've finally got a job lined up for September after 4 interviews wooooo! Not long now everyone!

Well done!
I've got one more week of teaching my timetable before my final report, and then my timetable reduces for the last few weeks so I can sort out my file and produce resources for the school. Don't completely finish 'til mid-June, but the pressure is definitely going to reduce soon. :smile:

I've been invited to 2 job interviews on the same day next week, so have got to call one of them to let them know I can't make it. But there seems to be a big gap between the 2 schools in terms of how much my subject is valued, so I know which one I'm going for.
Original post by myrtille
Well done!
I've got one more week of teaching my timetable before my final report, and then my timetable reduces for the last few weeks so I can sort out my file and produce resources for the school. Don't completely finish 'til mid-June, but the pressure is definitely going to reduce soon. :smile:

I've been invited to 2 job interviews on the same day next week, so have got to call one of them to let them know I can't make it. But there seems to be a big gap between the 2 schools in terms of how much my subject is valued, so I know which one I'm going for.

Wishing you the very best of luck Myrtille. I think I may have read (and agreed) with a thread of yours over on the TES about having a lot of interviews (it may have been on here, I can't remember, I know you are a regular over on the TES and I've seen your resources on the front page!) and I had 4 in total before I got my job. It is actually a one year fixed term maternity cover, which I didn't really want but I love the school, and who knows what'll happen in a year?

I also had to pull out of 3 more interviews this week! So glad it's such a weight off my mind.

Now I have to pass the numeracy (after failing it by one mark!) moved it back so I have more time, also have a tutor. That's the remaining mega-stress!
Original post by StarBabyCat
Wishing you the very best of luck Myrtille. I think I may have read (and agreed) with a thread of yours over on the TES about having a lot of interviews (it may have been on here, I can't remember, I know you are a regular over on the TES and I've seen your resources on the front page!) and I had 4 in total before I got my job. It is actually a one year fixed term maternity cover, which I didn't really want but I love the school, and who knows what'll happen in a year?

I also had to pull out of 3 more interviews this week! So glad it's such a weight off my mind.

Now I have to pass the numeracy (after failing it by one mark!) moved it back so I have more time, also have a tutor. That's the remaining mega-stress!

Hey,

Yeah, I think I have an internet forum problem. :P I live a long way from my uni and haven't seen anyone from my course for over 2 months so it's good to have the chance to moan at strangers on the internet!

I started putting resources on TES after a discussion at uni a while ago where someone said we should start doing it as so much of what's on there isn't very useful. A lot of the MFL stuff has basic spelling/grammar mistakes (not that I'm claiming I never make any, I'm sure someone will spot one sooner or later) which is annoying.

I'd originally been avoiding jobs that are 1 year contracts but definitely starting to consider them now as it's better than not having a job. And as you say, who knows what will happen? The person on maternity might decide they don't want to come back yet, or someone else might leave the department, creating a new vacancy for you. Hopefully it'll all work out. The school I have an interview at this week looks really good, so fingers crossed. :smile:
Last 6 weeks of placement coming up, and instead of upping then reducing the timetable towards the end to let us get our folders in order, LSBU have decided that we get to teach more and more each week, giving us less and less time to arrange our folders in between observations and teaching 80% of the timetable :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm so close to just walking. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that I have a job waiting (as long as my bleeding references get done!)

Anyone else started to feel horribly negative now we're almost at the end? I'm almost questioning whether I want to teach or not!!!
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
Last 6 weeks of placement coming up, and instead of upping then reducing the timetable towards the end to let us get our folders in order, LSBU have decided that we get to teach more and more each week, giving us less and less time to arrange our folders in between observations and teaching 80% of the timetable :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm so close to just walking. The only thing stopping me is the knowledge that I have a job waiting (as long as my bleeding references get done!)

Anyone else started to feel horribly negative now we're almost at the end? I'm almost questioning whether I want to teach or not!!!

Ooh that's mean. I suppose they can make you do that in primary, because you teach the same class all the time, so taking on a couple of extra hours doesn't have a big impact on the kids. Obviously in secondary taking on extra hours would mean meeting another totally new class (I teach 7 different classes already), getting to know names and ability levels and it just wouldn't be worth the hassle for the sake of a couple of weeks.

But you can do it. If we've made it this far, they're not going to fail us unless something seriously bad happens (not because of a few bad lessons because you're tired and have rushed the planning).

My course tutor has said that anyone who is at risk of not passing by the deadline for our final reports has already been told, and given an extension (so their timetable won't reduce, they keep teaching the old one for a couple more weeks) to give them time to meet all the standards. So if we've made it this far, we're probably doing OK!

I've been feeling a bit negative in some ways, like I just don't have the ideas or energy to keep going for this long. I think next year (if I get a job!) I'll just have to remind myself that I'm not being observed all the time and not all of my lessons can be planned to such detail with resources I've made myself. I think I need to sort of pace myself, focus on establishing good behaviour and routines at the start, rather than making every in activity in the lesson really good.
I feel a bit better today. I've planned 5 lessons with resources in 5 hours (including lunch and candy crush breaks :wink: ) and I think I'll get better at that as the placement wears on. It is quite nice not to have to spend an hour making PECS symbols for every lesson you plan, attaching velcro to absolutely everything and making everything look like it definitely isn't edible!
It's my first day of my repeat first placement tomorrow. So so so nervous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending