The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by muna88
i really hope my 8A's (history. maths. stats, eng;lish lanaguage, english lit chemistry , health and scoial care and ict) doesn't let me down and my 3b's(spanish, biology and phyiscs. to do medicine :V i'm so worried :C

how are u finding A-level Bio?
Original post by g.k.galloway
I'm with edexcel and have C1 on monday...I'm feeling okay ish about it :smile:

Glad to hear that; if you didn't do it the first time in January I'd reccomend tryna get that paper. Cause from what I heard it was really random

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing a level physics? How u finding it?
Original post by Inspired_tem
Glad to hear that; if you didn't do it the first time in January I'd reccomend tryna get that paper. Cause from what I heard it was really random

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh we did it as a mock :smile: It was a bit odd, but okay :smile:
Original post by lucky20
Anyone doing a level physics? How u finding it?

I am :smile: I found it tough to start with but it's okay now :smile: I much prefer the particle side to mechanics though (on AQA)
Do people think I can get a chance to be interviewed with at GCSE 1A* (maths) 7As (GCSE) and 2 Bs (Physics and English Lit)?

Don't know what I am going to get in As but I am predicted all B's in my subjects.
Reply 126
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Do people think I can get a chance to be interviewed with at GCSE 1A* (maths) 7As (GCSE) and 2 Bs (Physics and English Lit)?

Don't know what I am going to get in As but I am predicted all B's in my subjects.

GCSES are ok as long as you dont apply to GCSE hungry med schools. Predicted B's isnt great but how about pushing for A's and then get your teachers to change their predictions. You need at least AAA predicted.
Original post by Joe2Jonas

Your gcse grades are great so no problems there-are you predicted Bs at A level? If so this will be problematic as you need AAA minimum prediction to get an interview, unless you have extenuating circumstances. Ask your teachers if they can bump it up to AAA.
I am :smile: I found it tough to start with but it's okay now :smile: I much prefer the particle side to mechanics though (on AQA)

Aye tell me about it. A2 is much harder than AS though.
Yeh we did it as a mock :smile: It was a bit odd, but okay :smile:

Glad to hear that; hopefully your actual one is a breeze

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Original post by lucky20

For A-level I'm considering either:
Option A:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

or
Option B:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy

Which do people recommend? Is it really tough to do all three sciences at A-level?

Reply 131
Hello all, jumping into the prospective medic wagon! All the best for everyone's exams :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by ergo30
Option A:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

or
Option B:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy

Which do people recommend? Is it really tough to do all three sciences at A-level?

depends what you prefer. sciences compliment one another in some way. I personally couldnt cope with a language as a 4th as it was much more work and different, so wish i did a science or economics or something, whereas my friend doing physics got fed up with sciences and maths and wish she did geog or history.
depends on you.
Original post by lucky20

I'm not sure what to do next year...

It's basically do I do carry on with all four (biology, chemistry, maths and physics)
or do I drop physics. A lot of people carry on with all four at our school...

After exams we start A2, so I'll have a month or so to get an idea of the workload. I've also been told that I can carry on with it in september if I wish and drop physics if it gets too much...
I'm also doing an EPQ at the moment, so I thought once that's done i'll have less work anyway...

Don't really know what to do...will just have to see what happens I guess :smile:
Original post by ergo30
Option A:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Biology

or
Option B:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy

I think both options are fine tbh. If I were you I would go with option A. Physics is a very saught after a level, I think admissions tutors wiop know its a difficult subject to get an A in-even though for almost all med schools your 4th a level wont matter. If you do maths you will be fine with physics
I'm not sure what to do next year...

It's basically do I do carry on with all four (biology, chemistry, maths and physics)
or do I drop physics. A lot of people carry on with all four at our school...

After exams we start A2, so I'll have a month or so to get an idea of the workload. I've also been told that I can carry on with it in september if I wish and drop physics if it gets too much...
I'm also doing an EPQ at the moment, so I thought once that's done i'll have less work anyway...

Don't really know what to do...will just have to see what happens I guess :smile:

I think just 3 is best for most universities, apart from maybe Oxbridge and a few London ones, most universities only ask for 3As and doing an extra one really doesn't help that much. It's best to focus on getting 3 really good grades, and giving yourself enough time to do all your volunteering, personal statement stuff etc. It's better to get AAA and get a place than risk getting AABB and no place. The EPQ should give you enough of of a academic bonus and something good to talk about in interview if you do it on something medicine-related. Of course some people do get on well with 4 subjects it's just a bit pointless for most universities (only my opinion - I'm really really glad I only took 3 this year) and the AS to A2 step-up can be pretty big in some subjects, especially as maths and physics are pretty tough.
Original post by PeanutButter2000
I think just 3 is best for most universities, apart from maybe Oxbridge and a few London ones, most universities only ask for 3As and doing an extra one really doesn't help that much. It's best to focus on getting 3 really good grades, and giving yourself enough time to do all your volunteering, personal statement stuff etc. It's better to get AAA and get a place than risk getting AABB and no place. The EPQ should give you enough of of a academic bonus and something good to talk about in interview if you do it on something medicine-related. Of course some people do get on well with 4 subjects it's just a bit pointless for most universities (only my opinion - I'm really really glad I only took 3 this year) and the AS to A2 step-up can be pretty big in some subjects, especially as maths and physics are pretty tough.

Yeh. I'm looking at Cambridge so really need to aim for A*A*A.....If not all A*s so maybe three would be sufficient.

I'm doing my EPQ on a medically related topic. Just need to finish it off after exams :smile: I've really enjoyed it, I also did it on a topic quite close to home so it made it extra interesting if anything.
Original post by ergo30
Hmm, I'm not sure which Universities are not but I do know that Bristol, Newcastle and Leeds weight a lot on the PS. I have a cousin who goes to Newcastle and is currently studying medicine so that's how I know.

Hope I helped somehow, sorry for the lack of detail. :biggrin:

I think Newcastle's changed policy since then! It is pretty much ALL UKCAT now, this year they only took people with a UKCAT over 695 to interview and gave places based on interview performance, they didn't even look at our personal statements!!! Bristol and Leeds don't really use the UKCAT much though so they probably do use the ps a lot. Exeter and Plymouth also jsut use the UKCAt score for intrview not personal statements.
Original post by raz2vic
I have attended both 2012 Kaplan course and Radcliff Medical School Interview course materials. The Kaplan course helped improve my UKCAT average score from 647 to 777, especially in the abstract reasoning section where my score went from 530 to 900. My friend, who also used my course material, achieved high UKCAT scores. Both of us got a complete set of medical school interviews and several offers each, including our first choices.

As there is only 1 medical school place for every 3 or more applicants, this small investment will give you a clear advantage in obtaining an offer when almost all applicants are straight A students. I doubt I would have received my offers without high UKCAT scores, no matter how good my academic record and EC activities were.

The material is at eBay now.

I would love to go on the Kaplan course but tbh I don't think I can afford it. Did you go on the course itself or have the tutoring?
Yeh. I'm looking at Cambridge so really need to aim for A*A*A.....If not all A*s so maybe three would be sufficient.

I'm doing my EPQ on a medically related topic. Just need to finish it off after exams :smile: I've really enjoyed it, I also did it on a topic quite close to home so it made it extra interesting if anything.

I did mine on Parkinson's, it was super useful to talk about at interview and bulked out my personal statement! I guess 4 subjects would be best for Cambridge, you can always drop one anyway, you can drop a subject after the January exams without having to declare it if you really mess up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending