The Student Room Group

Staffordshire University or Keele for Psychology?

Hello, I applied to both and visited applicant days for both, however I am stuck between both

I was impressed by the new science centre at Staffs, whilst I was disappointed by the psychology talk at Keele, however Keele's campus is a very nice place, so I was wondering whether anyone could offer me advice on which to go for?

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
I'm having exactly the same problem. Having been to Stafford college I can tell you that the town isn't all that great. I have heard a lot of good things about Keele student life from friends that are there now so I'm edging more towards Keele. Staffordshire program does look better but I belive that Keele is ranked higher on several websites I've looked at. Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keele is apparently ranked higher. But go wherever you think you will be happy
Reply 3
Yeah I get what you mean, I've been to both, and keele is the more prettier of the two, I'm just thinking that its possible that staffs psychology department, whilst lower in the rankings at the moment, could be improved with the new science centre over the next few years. If keele's psychology department had been more impressive, I'd have picked keele straight away, but it just seemed very limited

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Johnny794
Yeah I get what you mean, I've been to both, and keele is the more prettier of the two, I'm just thinking that its possible that staffs psychology department, whilst lower in the rankings at the moment, could be improved with the new science centre over the next few years. If keele's psychology department had been more impressive, I'd have picked keele straight away, but it just seemed very limited

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's a personal choice. Try comparing the two on this website - http://comparetheuni.com/compare/all/ I'm choosing keele because I think I will feel more comfortable there not because of the ratings. But if the academic side is more important then Stafford might be a better option. Good luck anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for the help btw, its nice to know other people's opinions, and I really liked keele which is why its hard to decide! I suppose everywhere has its pros and cons. I'll probably give myself a bit longer to decide and have a look at the website you sent me :smile: thanks for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No problem :smile: Let me know if you decide keele lol, maybe I'll see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi I have a similar problem,
ive applied to keele to do a duel honours english and educations studies degree and also a four year course (foundation course) at keele, and also applied at staffs to do a two year fast track english degree.
I am stuck between keele and staffs.
I will be living at home so accommodation doesnt bother me at all.
Ive heard staffs hasn't got such a good reputation and so it will effect future prospects.
any advise would be great AS I NEED TO REPLY LIKE IN THE COMING HOURS
THANKS IN ADVANCE
xx
Reply 8
Have you been to both applicant days?
Reply 9
Have you been to both applicant days?

i've visited both, i missed the applicant days. What do you think of staffs?
Reply 10
I liked staffs, I preferred the campus for keele because it had nice scenery and stuff, but it let me down in the course part of the uni, as the subject talk wasnt the best. While staffs isn't better looks wise, for me it had the better facilities for psychology which is what I want to do. Stoke isn't that bad, been there enough times, and if you ever want to venture to new places, its opposite the train station. However, I think everyone's different, some people will like it, some people will hate it, as with everything, but since you visited both, you should know which suits you best, but I don't know if you got a course talk. Which one did you pick in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I liked staffs, I preferred the campus for keele because it had nice scenery and stuff, but it let me down in the course part of the uni, as the subject talk wasnt the best. While staffs isn't better looks wise, for me it had the better facilities for psychology which is what I want to do. Stoke isn't that bad, been there enough times, and if you ever want to venture to new places, its opposite the train station. However, I think everyone's different, some people will like it, some people will hate it, as with everything, but since you visited both, you should know which suits you best, but I don't know if you got a course talk. Which one did you pick in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I missed the course talks. I liked keele's surroundings but tbh it was abit old. What dyu think of staffs reputation? are u doing just pyschology?
and i chose keele for firm and staffs for insurance
I studied psych at Keele and hated it. It felt more like I was a test subject for postgrads than a student. There were just too many students to feel like anyone cares and the drop out rate was crazy high.

I didn't like the campus too much either. It felt claustrophobic and blocked away from everything. My girlfriend loved it there and has just finished 7 years of studying at keele so it really depends on how you feel. I ended up tranferring to Nottingham and now I'm studying at Stafford. Reputation isn't everything. I don't study psychology now but I had an offer from Staffordshire to study computing and psych and I really wish I'd taken it up when I first had the chance instead of listening to everyone elses opinions.

Go to the one that suits you and your needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Reputation isn't everything, and staffs and keele aren't too far apart for psychology, not sure about English. However I read somewhere that staffs is one of the most improved unis, not sure if its true but makes me think that maybe its reputation will improve in the next 3 years, especially for me because of the new science centre.
Tbh, if you were happy at keeles open day, you have nothing to worry about and you made the right choice. Best to focus on where you think you'll be happy most rather than reputation etc. Remember, if you aren't happy there you will be less likely to get a good degree, which is what counts the most
Reply 14
Reputation isn't everything, and staffs and keele aren't too far apart for psychology, not sure about English. However I read somewhere that staffs is one of the most improved unis, not sure if its true but makes me think that maybe its reputation will improve in the next 3 years, especially for me because of the new science centre.
Tbh, if you were happy at keeles open day, you have nothing to worry about and you made the right choice. Best to focus on where you think you'll be happy most rather than reputation etc. Remember, if you aren't happy there you will be less likely to get a good degree, which is what counts the most

yeah that's true, but doesn't the level of recognition of the university affect employability? anyway thanks, if i end up going there i think i'de be much happier now
Original post by mazstar
yeah that's true, but doesn't the level of recognition of the university affect employability? anyway thanks, if i end up going there i think i'de be much happier now

Not really unless you're applying to big knowledgeable companies. Your actual skill set is much more important than your uni's rankings so wherever you go just study hard and take up as many opportunities as you can and you'll be fine.
Reply 16
I am having this exact same problem... the only difference is that I'm doing a gap year so won't be going until next September.
Which uni did you decide on in the end?
I think staffs looks great for psychology and has really appealed to me but the more I hear about keele the more I feel inclined to go there for the recognition etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest