The Student Room Group

AQA Religious Studies AS Exams (May 13th 2013)

Not too sure how popular this specification is as hardly anyone seems to do it but this is for anyone that is! I know there's a load of options (About ten I think?) so post what unit{s} you'll be sitting. I'm doing Religion and Ethics one (Nature and Value of Human life and Abortion and Euthanasia):smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Onoderas
Not too sure how popular this specification is as hardly anyone seems to do it but this is for anyone that is! I know there's a load of options (About ten I think?) so post what unit{s} you'll be sitting. I'm doing Religion and Ethics one (Nature and Value of Human life and Abortion and Euthanasia):smile:

Hey
I did Religion and Ethics One in January and I have to say I actually enjoyed the unit! I did Utilitarianism and Situation Ethics unlike you though.

I'm doing unit 2 Philosophy and Religion in May :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by auralay
Hey
I did Religion and Ethics One in January and I have to say I actually enjoyed the unit! I did Utilitarianism and Situation Ethics unlike you though.

Hey! You're so lucky I wanted to do those two units, I hate mine so much they're horrible. But I sat that exam in January too! Which topics are you doing? We covered the Cosmological Argument, Atheism/Postmodernism and Religious Experience.

Cosmological Argument was-Explain the key criticisms, and 'asses the value of the cosmological argument for religious faith' or something similar. Religious Experience was horrible. It was 'Explain the criticisms to Religious Experience from both science and philosophy' and then 'how successful are these criticisms?'. Postmodernism came up for both of the last topic, explain it for part one and if it is a denial of religion for part two :smile:.
Reply 3
Yay! Philosophy and ethics exams! Did you say you get to chose the topics covered, we aren't allowed. :nyan:
Reply 4
Original post by FudgeLover
Yay! Philosophy and ethics exams! Did you say you get to chose the topics covered, we aren't allowed. :nyan:

Nope we didn't at all :frown: we have two classes at my Sixth Form. The other class did Situation Ethics and Utilitarianism (the topics I wanted to do :angry:) because it was that teacher's strong point, and we did The Nature and Value of Human Life & Abortion and Euthanasia as they're our teachers strong points.

What topics did you cover!?
Reply 5
Original post by auralay
Hey

Hi I was just wondering if u still remember what the questions were in ur ethics paper for situation ethics and utilitarianism in Jan because I'm resitting this paper and I want to do those questions as practice. But my teachers are useless. I've been asking them for 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten round to telling me what they were.

Thank u much appreciated!
Reply 6
Original post by lele-sakura
Hi I was just wondering if u still remember what the questions were in ur ethics paper for situation ethics and utilitarianism in Jan because I'm resitting this paper and I want to do those questions as practice. But my teachers are useless. I've been asking them for 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten round to telling me what they were.

Thank u much appreciated!

Terribly sorry for the late response! I've had TSR completely shut off during revision as it's so distracting :tongue:

From what I can remember, I think the utilitarianism 30 marker was "Outline they key features of utilitarianism, with particular reference to Mill" and the 15 marker was "How compatible is utilitarianism with religion"
Completely forgotten the Situation Ethics questions, sorry about that.

If you haven't used them already, I think the AQA website will probably have some Specimen Questions for you to use.

Good luck in your exam!
Reply 7
Hey! You're so lucky I wanted to do those two units, I hate mine so much they're horrible. But I sat that exam in January too! Which topics are you doing? We covered the Cosmological Argument, Atheism/Postmodernism and Religious Experience.

Cosmological Argument was-Explain the key criticisms, and 'asses the value of the cosmological argument for religious faith' or something similar. Religious Experience was horrible. It was 'Explain the criticisms to Religious Experience from both science and philosophy' and then 'how successful are these criticisms?'. Postmodernism came up for both of the last topic, explain it for part one and if it is a denial of religion for part two :smile:.

Yeah, the teacher did choose the Cosmological Argument and Religious Experience for us but I chose to self-teach Psychology as I absolutely hated the Religious Experience topic!

Good luck for Monday. 2 days... :bawling:
Reply 8
we covered cosmo argument, religious ex and pyschology and religion but i've only focused on psych and cosmo. :smile:
Reply 9
Stressing so much for this exam. I have 4 exams on monday :frown: I've revised all of abortion & euthanasia, and all of Utilitarianism but I'm so confused on Psychology of revision (jung and freud) and the Cosmological Argument. Anyone wanna help me out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper or questions on the philosophy and ethics unit C paper, bascially all the comso argument, postmodernism stuff? Really need help!! only have 2 days left :frown:
I'm in year 11 sitting this AS on Monday!
Any tips for revision, We've only studied Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics and Abortion&Euthanasia :-) we haven't studied the other section! So any tips for revision on those area would be helpful!:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by wannii
Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper or questions on the philosophy and ethics unit C paper, bascially all the comso argument, postmodernism stuff? Really need help!! only have 2 days left :frown:

I sat the Philosophy of Religion unit in January and I did those two topics! Cosmological was Explain the key criticisms and 'How valuable is the cosmological argument to religious faith? (not 100% sure). Postmodernism came up as the 30 mark (the key ideas) then if it was a denial of religion.

Original post by auralay
Yeah, the teacher did choose the Cosmological Argument and Religious Experience for us but I chose to self-teach Psychology as I absolutely hated the Religious Experience topic!

Good luck for Monday. 2 days... :bawling:

I liked the Cosmological Argument, thought it was a bit straightforward although the questions can be a bit horrible sometimes (that particular reference one from a few years ago.....). But Religious Experience is the worst! Hate it so much, bored me to death. Didn't cover Psychology but wish we did :frown:

Good luck to you too :smile:!
Reply 13
[QUOTE="wannii;42566780"]
I sat the Philosophy of Religion unit in January and I did those two topics! Cosmological was Explain the key criticisms and 'How valuable is the cosmological argument to religious faith? (not 100% sure). Postmodernism came up as the 30 mark (the key ideas) then if it was a denial of religion.

Thankyou so mucch!! :biggrin: and was the postmodernism one - 'explain the key ideas of a postmodernist view of religion' ?

Yep that was it exactly! Wouldn't think it's going to come up again but AQA love to double bluff everyone with questions. If I was going to make a prediction I'd say the reasons for atheism is going to be the 30 mark!
Reply 14
Original post by VickyHendry
I'm in year 11 sitting this AS on Monday!
Any tips for revision, We've only studied Utilitarianism, Situation Ethics and Abortion&Euthanasia :-) we haven't studied the other section! So any tips for revision on those area would be helpful!:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the double post but thought these may be of use? I'm sure there's a few typos and I know the exam is close but if it's of any help themn have them :smile:

Edit: On religious views for abortion, it should say 'Episcopal Church takes a pro-choice stance -_-
(edited 10 years ago)
[QUOTE="Onoderas;42568050"]
Original post by wannii

Yep that was it exactly! Wouldn't think it's going to come up again but AQA love to double bluff everyone with questions. If I was going to make a prediction I'd say the reasons for atheism is going to be the 30 mark!

If that comes up as a 30 marker, I'll be the happiest person alive. For PoR we get taught Cosmo Argument, Relig Exp and Atheism and Postmod. For some reason, (out of the class of 9) everyones avoiding the atheism and postmodernism stuff. Hmmm.

The A02, I guess would be something to do with Postmodernism then, maybe how it goes against religion?
(edited 10 years ago)
For utilitarianism, what situation is everyone using to apply the hedonic calculus to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Does anyone know what question came up for situation ethics in Jan?
How did everyone find it?

I did the Philosophy of Religion paper (cosmological argument and psychology) and I think it went okay-ish! The 15 marker for the Cosmological Argument threw me a bit, not sure why really as it was a really easy question in hindsight. Rejection of infinite regress too, eeeek.

Hopefully I'll have somehow scraped an A, anyway :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Questions were horrible for Ethics 1! For Nature and Value of Human life it was such an open question with too much to write about, and just used inequality to suggest some people can be seen as 'different'.

Euthanasia 30 mark was okay, I think I messed up how I worded some things but the next question... we have never even looked at that and I swear its not even on the syllabus? Just tried to manipulate quotes to work but this paper didn't go as well as I hoped :frown:

Quick Reply