The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mischief-managed
me! offer for veterinary medicine :smile: didn't know we were called valencians, where does that even come from?

Me too for medicine! Looks like we'll be in a lot of our lectures together :smile: (fingers crossed)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jedicake
I think my favourite curve goes to this...

MSP4971fi8fah1539g61d900000ff5fgg2acah6e3c.gif

And you can find the full parametric equation here (warning: may dazzle anyone who beholds it): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dr-zoidberg+like+curve

Not bad, but the Batman curve is better...
Original post by Jedicake
I think my favourite curve goes to this...

MSP4971fi8fah1539g61d900000ff5fgg2acah6e3c.gif

And you can find the full parametric equation here (warning: may dazzle anyone who beholds it): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=dr-zoidberg+like+curve

I'd love to see the differential of that.
Original post by DJMayes
Not bad, but the Batman curve is better...

Chibi Batman is the best.
Reply 2484
Original post by St. Brynjar
I'd love to see the differential of that.

I don't see anything that would make it a task beyond anyone here - it's 'just' long, it's not particularly screwy, there aren't even many products.

If you could be bothered to type it out, WolframAlpha might even do it for you. I'm not sure if there's a character limit though - there may well be for the free version.

Edit:
"anyone here" -- well, it probably would be beyond the majority of the uhh, "less-mathematically-inclined" types!

This thread has been so far hijacked by Mathematics offer holders (it would seem) that I honestly thought I was in the STEP thread..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FO12DY
I don't see anything that would make it a task beyond anyone here - it's 'just' long, it's not particularly screwy, there aren't even many products.

If you could be bothered to type it out, WolframAlpha might even do it for you. I'm not sure if there's a character limit though - there may well be for the free version.

Edit:
"anyone here" -- well, it probably would be beyond the majority of the uhh, "less-mathematically-inclined" types!

This thread has been so far hijacked by Mathematics offer holders (it would seem) that I honestly thought I was in the STEP thread..

I'd like to see it put into cartesian form :teehee:
Original post by jessjesspp
Me too for medicine! Looks like we'll be in a lot of our lectures together :smile: (fingers crossed)

awesome! can't wait to get started on the course- cambridge has a much more sciency vet course than all the other vet schools and that put a load of people off but i'm really looking forward to it! which accommodation have you applied for at pembroke? :smile:
Original post by FO12DY

Edit:

It's not been hijacked. There is just more going on for the Maths offer holders, what with easter schools and a whole extra set of exams just for Cambridge. Besides, there is no reason why some other chat couldn't be going on simultaneously - we don't expect other subjects discussions to stop for us, and likewise we shouldn't necessarily have to stop for others.
Reply 2488
Original post by DJMayes
It's not been hijacked. There is just more going on for the Maths offer holders, what with easter schools and a whole extra set of exams just for Cambridge. Besides, there is no reason why some other chat couldn't be going on simultaneously - we don't expect other subjects discussions to stop for us, and likewise we shouldn't necessarily have to stop for others.

I think he was quite happy to talk maths but just forgot he was in the Cam offer holders thread when he said 'anyone here could do it...'.
Original post by _Georgie
I think he was quite happy to talk maths but just forgot he was in the Cam offer holders thread when he said 'anyone here could do it...'.

If that's the case then it's my bad. It wouldn't have been the first time people have complained about the Maths though. :lol:
I'm pretty sure that most colleges use test-weighted ballots to decide who gets each room. Normally the test is a 19 hour pure maths exam. So it's worth brushing up on your maths skills if you like en-suites or a decent view.

An example of a question is; list the first 42 prime numbers in order of awesomeness (obviously you'd start with 37 or perhaps 2 if you are feeling dangerous). But the test is negatively marked, and if you score less than -50 then you are thrown out of Cambridge forever :sadnod:
Reply 2491
I read this
If students are awarded a first in their exams then they are elected to the title of scholar at their college, given book tokens and invited to exclusive scholars' dinners. There are also a number of named prizes for distinguished performance in particular subjects which vary from college to college. At the top end of the scale, a student gaining a first class result at Trinity College is awarded a prize to the value of £1,000! Get studying!

over at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Cambridge#Exams and wanted to know how much of it is true and still applies today.
Original post by SwarajD
I read this

over at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Cambridge#Exams and wanted to know how much of it is true and still applies today.

I know at least most of it is still true, but this will depend on the college. Trinity and St John's are known for giving out money prizes for those who get firsts. There is no doubt in general that the college really want to push you to do well, but colleges do this in different ways. e.g. Emmanuel, although it has excellent results, is known to be more relaxed about letting students get on with the work on their own. But whichever college it is, if you get a first then you'll be entitled to at least a good number of "well done"s as well as (perhaps) some more tangible prizes.
Clare give a financial prize to people getting firsts, I think it's about £150, but it just gets taken off your college bill rather than being given cash. They don't give scholars first dibs on rooms though, unlike some colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Llewellyn
I know at least most of it is still true, but this will depend on the college. Trinity and St John's are known for giving out money prizes for those who get firsts. There is no doubt in general that the college really want to push you to do well, but colleges do this in different ways. e.g. Emmanuel, although it has excellent results, is known to be more relaxed about letting students get on with the work on their own. But whichever college it is, if you get a first then you'll be entitled to at least a good number of "well done"s as well as (perhaps) some more tangible prizes.

Clare has a £100 award for firsts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2495
Original post by DJMayes

Original post by _Georgie

Original post by DJMayes
If that's the case then it's my bad. It wouldn't have been the first time people have complained about the Maths though. :lol:

Georgie has it. I'm a CS with Mathematics offer holder myself, no problem with the discussion :wink:

I just completely thought I was reading and responding to the STEP thread :lol:
Original post by SwarajD
I read this

Pembroke provides people who obtain firsts with better rooms, I think.

Original post by Llewellyn
I'm pretty sure that most colleges use test-weighted ballots to decide who gets each room. Normally the test is a 19 hour pure maths exam. So it's worth brushing up on your maths skills if you like en-suites or a decent view.

An example of a question is; list the first 42 prime numbers in order of awesomeness (obviously you'd start with 37 or perhaps 2 if you are feeling dangerous). But the test is negatively marked, and if you score less than -50 then you are thrown out of Cambridge forever :sadnod:

If only this were true - I'd kill to see their reactions if someone wrote down 1! :lol:

(Out of curiosity, did you choose 37 because it's the 12th prime number, the reverse of its digits, 73, is the 21st prime number, if you multiply its digits together you get 21, and 73 in binary is 1001001, which is palindromic?)
Original post by DJMayes
Did you choose 37 because it's the 12th prime number, the reverse of its digits, 73, is the 21st prime number, if you multiply its digits together you get 21, and 73 in binary is 1001001, which is palindromic?

That's girl talk, the most awesome prime is 163.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
That's girl talk, the most awesome prime is 163.

Why is this?
My favourite prime is 1.

*waits for the wrath of the mathmos*

Latest

Trending

Trending