The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolface32
You do not need to know
I quote the spec ,"Knowledge of other parts of the urinary system, thestructure of the kidney and the structure of a nephron is
not required.". But it would help to know a little I suppose :colondollar:

Oh okay! Thanks. :smile:
Reply 201
Original post by MsFahima
CGP GCSE Biology - It doesn't go into THAT much detail, but since I've learnt it....

What are you using? Maybe it's not necessary. Our teacher taught us, so I know it.

I know about it but, in class, we never did it. And I'm using the Nelson Thornes guide.

EDIT: I'm sure you don't need it- it's not on the specification
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not sure... Maybe someone else can help you with it. Sorry. :frown:

its alright :smile:

There is nothing on the spec for Negative feedback, never heard of it:confused:

oh am I glad to hear that :smile: .... it was on my human health exam last year and I didn't know it, because I know blood sugar is in this exam I thought it might be in too :smile:

what are we all aiming/ predicting and required UMS scores ?
Original post by Quantaˌ
I know about it but, in class, we never did it. And I'm using the Nelson Thornes guide.

EDIT: I'm sure you don't need it- it's not on the specification

I have that guide aswell. As the person previously quoted the specification - I don't think it is necessary to know. Back to questions then? Or thats it?
Reply 204
I have that guide aswell. As the person previously quoted the specification - I don't think it is necessary to know. Back to questions then? Or thats it?

We goin' all the way through the night :cool:

What problems does deforestation lead to?
Reply 205

How many marks is this? Remember to add that. But, all through the night? Well, I'm revising anyway so I might as well. I need to revise french tomorrow so I want to finish biology today.

Anyway, back to your question, it leads to more carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere. Less carbon dioxide is stored in trees- a carbon sink. The increase in carbon dioxide leads to global warming. There is also loss of biodiversity.

Explain how a dialysis machine works. [4]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Quantaˌ
How many marks is this? Remember to add that. Anyway, it leads to more carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere. Less carbon dioxide is stored in trees- a carbon sink. The increase in carbon dioxide leads to global warming. There is also loss of biodiversity.

I wont add marks because it wont develop memory, it will benefit us more to give all the points we know so that we are prepared in the exam :biggrin:

1) CO2 released due to the burning of the trees
2)More CO2 in the air as the trees cannot take it in.
3)More methane in the atmosphere due to the rice fields and the cattle.
4)Less Biodiversity as the trees get rid of the habitats for the different species. And these species can become extinct.

Be Right Back - going for Dinner. :biggrin:
Reply 208
Original post by Quantaˌ
How many marks is this? Remember to add that. Anyway, it leads to more carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere. Less carbon dioxide is stored in trees- a carbon sink. The increase in carbon dioxide leads to global warming. There is also loss of biodiversity.

Dialysis works by having the same concentration of essential mineral ions, water ions as blood, meaning excess ions and water diffuse across the barrier. This also means that Urea will diffuse across the barrier. Big molecules can not diffuse across, proteins and blood cells for example.

How do stents work?
Reply 209
I wont add marks because it wont develop memory, it will benefit us more to give all the points we know so that we are prepared in the exam :biggrin:

Suppose so, but it helps to know how many points there are so we know if we've covered them all or not. I mean if you add marks but give all the points (e.g. give 6 points if we know them even if it's 4 marks)

How do stents work?

You install a stent in surgery. It is a wire mesh that is collasped. It is around a balloon that is inflated when the stent is in position in a blood vessel that is blocked by fat. The balloon is deflated and removed. The stent holds the blood vessel open.

What do sport drinks contain and why are they useful?

Note: I think we should say if the last person missed anything when we answer the next question
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 210
Original post by Quantaˌ
Suppose so, but it helps to know how many points there are so we know if we've covered them all or not. I mean if you add marks but give all the points (e.g. give 6 points if we know them even if it's 4 marks)

I suppose what you don't know cant hurt you then :wink: Besides, we should tell each other how to improve our answers, if we can.
sorry to interrupt but can anyone explain the different types of biogas generators and their advantages/disadvantages please?
Why does blood in arteries is under higher pressure?
Dialysis works by having the same concentration of essential mineral ions, water ions as blood, meaning excess ions and water diffuse across the barrier. This also means that Urea will diffuse across the barrier. Big molecules can not diffuse across, proteins and blood cells for example.

How do stents work?

The stent is put into the blood vessel which is too narrow or has too many fatty deposits. Then a balloon is used to push the stent against the walls to widen the vessel which then stays rigid when the balloon is taken out.

How can diabetes (type 1) be controlled? [3]
Reply 214
Original post by Quantaˌ

You install a stent in surgery. It is a wire mesh that is collasped. It is around a balloon that is inflated when the stent is in position in a blood vessel that is blocked by fat. The balloon is deflated and removed. The stent holds the blood vessel open.

What do sport drinks contain and why are they useful?

Note: I think we should say if the last person missed anything when we answer the next question

Sports Drinks 'supposedly' contain mineral ions which can be used to replace those wasted during exercise. Your answer was perfect :colondollar:

What is ventilation?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 215
Original post by jonathanparkes
The stent is put into the blood vessel which is too narrow or has too many fatty deposits. Then a balloon is used to push the stent against the walls to widen the vessel which then stays rigid when the balloon is taken out.

It can be controlled through the following steps:

- Injecting insulin after a high glucose diet
- Eating a low sugar diet
- Regular exercise to use up glucose taken in.

What is transpiration and what causes it?
Reply 216
Original post by Quantaˌ
How many marks is this? Remember to add that. But, all through the night? Well, I'm revising anyway so I might as well. I need to revise french tomorrow so I want to finish biology today.Anyway, back to your question, it leads to more carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere. Less carbon dioxide is stored in trees- a carbon sink. The increase in carbon dioxide leads to global warming. There is also loss of biodiversity.Explain how a dialysis machine works. [4]
A dialysis machine acts as an artificial kidney so does the job of a kidney. It is used when people have kidney failure but have not had a transplant. The dialysis machine takes the blood from the body cleans it then puts it back in the body. The dialysis machine contains dialysis fluid which contains no urea so that the urea from the blood is removed, glucose and mineral ions in the solution are the same concentration as in the blood so they do not diffuse out of the blood because they need to be reabsorbed. Am I missing anything? Please do let me know what quality this answer is.
Reply 217
Original post by veniceswan
Why does blood in arteries is under higher pressure?

Because, it is coming from the heart which pumps it out. The veins go to the heart and are not under pressure.

Original post by jonathanparkes

They can be controlled by insulin injection after meals, a controlled diet and regular exercise.

Transpiration is water loss by evaporation in the leaves. The water loss from the leaves causes movements of water from the roots.

What are the differences between positive and negative pressure breathing aids? [3]
(edited 10 years ago)
sorry to interrupt but can anyone explain the different types of biogas generators and their advantages/disadvantages please?
It can be controlled through the following steps:

- Injecting insulin after a high glucose diet
- Eating a low sugar diet
- Regular exercise to use up glucose taken in.

Your answer is fine, others could be:
-pancreas transplant
-pancreas cell transplant
-embryonic stem cells differenciating into insulin secreting cells

Transpiration is water loss by evaporation, it occurs faster in hot, dry, windy and bright conditions as the stomata are fully open to let carbon dioxide in for photosynthesis.

Explain the process of osmosis if an animal cell is surrounded by glucose solution [4]

Latest

Trending

Trending