The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I'm quite curious about how to get a U at GCSE French. I think I'm predicted C-A!

"Je utilite avoir un chien" as an attempt for "I used to have a dog"?

How do you get a U in any language? I'm sure some time in your life you would have heard someone say a few phrases of Chinese, or Spanish, or German, or French, or Italian, or Japanese or whatever. Even if you slept through all of your classes, Google Translate can save you from a U. They should award medals to U students.
Reply 821
Original post by AquisM
How do you get a U in any language? I'm sure some time in your life you would have heard someone say a few phrases of Chinese, or Spanish, or German, or French, or Italian, or Japanese or whatever. Even if you slept through all of your classes, Google Translate can save you from a U. They should award medals to U students.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have access to Google Translate in the exams. They might have got a bit lax since I did mine though...
Original post by Ronove
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have access to Google Translate in the exams. They might have got a bit lax since I did mine though...

No you're not :lol:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I'm quite curious about how to get a U at GCSE French. I think I'm predicted C-A!

"Je utilite avoir un chien" as an attempt for "I used to have a dog"?

Hehehe it was like in Welsh when I saw someone use 'arfer' (to use) when trying to say 'I used to play rugby!'

I then look in the grammar book and I'm like 'oh'. -.- (turns out you can 'Roeddwn i'n arfer i chwarae rygbi')
Original post by constantmeowage
Hehehe it was like in Welsh when I saw someone use 'arfer' (to use) when trying to say 'I used to play rugby!'

I then look in the grammar book and I'm like 'oh'. -.- (turns out you can 'Roeddwn i'n arfer i chwarae rygbi')

:eek:

I thought it'd be:

Roeddwn i'n chwarae rygbi
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:eek:

I thought it'd be:

Roeddwn i'n chwarae rygbi

That too, but I think if you want to stress the 'used to' bit, you can use 'arfer'

(EDIT: just checked, there's no 'i' between arfer and the next verb, mae'n ddrwg 'da fi :frown: )
That too, but I think if you want to stress the 'used to' bit, you can use 'arfer'

(EDIT: just checked, there's no 'i' between arfer and the next verb, mae'n ddrwg 'da fi :frown: )

I stick random sounds wherever!

You're studying Welsh in addition to 3 MFL A-level??:O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
Mine have nothing! :eek: Bengali is all, and I've lose fluency in that :tongue:

You should start speaking random Languages around...

Yeah! So hopefully they'll even speak to each other in different languages... Always useful when wanting to say something without others understanding :mmm:

Priority for them:

English ---> French ---> Bengali+Arabic ---> Spanish ---> Mandarin ---> German ---> Italian ---> Japanese/Russian ---> Swahili

:mmm:

I do already kinda speak random languages around. For example: quoi instead of what; pourquoi instead of why; ja instead of yes; andiamo instead of shall we go?... the list is endless. I've even managed to make my (not very linguistic) friends become used to my random foreign words every few sentences, and they don't even comment on it- but it does confuse random people in my year though!! :wink:

I love being able to speak to certain friends in a foreign language that most of my other friends can't understand!! Even though it's a limited conversation, it's always amazing- especially when other people overhear me speaking Mandarin...

What do you mean by 'priority for them'?
Reply 829
Original post by Ronove

:biggrin: LOL But seriously, aren't there prepared speeches in orals? (at least for IGCSE Spanish we did) One can simply put it on Google and then memorize. You can guess the multiple choice questions if they are some, and some exam boards have like controlled assessments which you can practically prepare, right? Those three things alone will get you off a U.
Original post by EmilyJayne14
I do already kinda speak random languages around. For example: quoi instead of what; pourquoi instead of why; ja instead of yes; andiamo instead of shall we go?... the list is endless. I've even managed to make my (not very linguistic) friends become used to my random foreign words every few sentences, and they don't even comment on it- but it does confuse random people in my year though!! :wink:

I love being able to speak to certain friends in a foreign language that most of my other friends can't understand!! Even though it's a limited conversation, it's always amazing- especially when other people overhear me speaking Mandarin...

What do you mean by 'priority for them'?

I do it in school :tongue: the quoi especially!

I can't Mandarin obviously :frown: but I do it with French... And Swahili soon one day :wink:

Like, in order of exposing them
Reply 831
I do it in school :tongue: the quoi especially!

I can't Mandarin obviously :frown: but I do it with French... And Swahili soon one day :wink:

Like, in order of exposing them

Hahaha! My big ones are ja and pourquoi! I literally never say yes anymore- unless I'm talking to a teacher!!

Hopefully some day you will be able to speak Mandarin!! I can do it with French and Italian also, and the odd bits of Esperanto... wow, Swahili!

Ohhh! I understand!! I would probably expose the languages I'm better at (at the moment, French and Italian) first before doing bits of the ones I'm not as good at (Spanish, German, Mandarin) and perhaps when the child is older, maybe even Esperanto, as it just helps with language learning!
Original post by EmilyJayne14
Hahaha! My big ones are ja and pourquoi! I literally never say yes anymore- unless I'm talking to a teacher!!

Hopefully some day you will be able to speak Mandarin!! I can do it with French and Italian also, and the odd bits of Esperanto... wow, Swahili!

Ohhh! I understand!! I would probably expose the languages I'm better at (at the moment, French and Italian) first before doing bits of the ones I'm not as good at (Spanish, German, Mandarin) and perhaps when the child is older, maybe even Esperanto, as it just helps with language learning!

Haha, even then I'm like quoi! In maths, no one understands my French, and I'm there babbling and cursing...

:yes:

Can't wait for kids :mmm:
I'd just be worried about passing on bad linguistic habits if my offspring picked up a foreign language from me. :frown: I hate helping people, not because I don't want to (I really do like helping people and stuff), but I'm always 99% I'm completely wrong and I don't want to feed them lies and stuff, so they're better off not listening :frown: :P
I'd just be worried about passing on bad linguistic habits if my offspring picked up a foreign language from me. :frown: I hate helping people, not because I don't want to (I really do like helping people and stuff), but I'm always 99% I'm completely wrong and I don't want to feed them lies and stuff, so they're better off not listening :frown: :P

:rofl:

Just speak whenever you can, they can learn and be corrected.

Wat fijn om van je te horen! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 836
So guys, what would be the next language that you want to learn? Mine would be Portuguese; it's similar to Spanish so it's easy to learn, but different so that it's exciting. He tratado de enseñármelo por Internet *mas ainda não sei fala-lo. (Is that correct?)
Original post by AquisM
So guys, what would be the next language that you want to learn? Mine would be Portuguese; it's similar to Spanish so it's easy to learn, but different so that it's exciting. He tratado de enseñármelo por Internet *mas ainda não sei fala-lo. (Is that correct?)

*Fala-o, if I remember correctly (although if natives happen to be native and correct, please stamp on this with the right answer :biggrin:).

You can only use 'Lo' after an infinitive in Portuguese, que yo sepa.
Reply 838
Original post by AquisM

Same, I think I would learn (Brazilian) Portuguese. I am fluent in 2 Romance languages (French and Italian) so it shouldn't take too long, although I might get a bit confused.
And then I would learn Spanish :smile:
Reply 839
Original post by AquisM

Swedish I think. Not necessarily to any great extent, maybe AS/A2 standard - Danes and Swedes tend to talk at each other in their own languages and have entire conversations where one is talking Danish and the other is talking Swedish. Which I think is pretty freaking awesome by the way! :eek2:

Latest

Trending

Trending