The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology SCLY1 Family & Households 13th May 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 3mmz
how do you write a conclusion....

do you give your opinion?

Yep u just giv ur opinion about all the paragraphs u wrote
Reply 181
this sounds really stupid but does anyone have the sub topics for this module? or where i can find them please?
You can find it in the AQA Sociology text book... If you don't find it, here are the topics:

1- Couples
2-Childhood
3-Functions of the family
4-Demography
5-Changing family patterns
6-Family Diversity and the life course
7-Families and social policies

:smile:
No, demography is not broader than that.. you have infant mortality rates... fertility rates and the reasons for the trends..
Reply 184
Original post by TheWiseChick
No, demography is not broader than that.. you have infant mortality rates... fertility rates and the reasons for the trends..

Migration too :yes:
Reply 185
thanks! we dont actually have the aqa sociology book... my teacher deemed it 'irrelevant' in fact i thought Ken browne was the set text to start with. does anyone by any chance know anywhere that has a breakdown of which should go where? i'm really struggling with whats relevant for what in terms of essay questions and structuring revision etc
Reply 186
Hey wondering if anyone can help on how structure the social policy essay?
I'm confused as to whether you just talk about what the theories say or you talk about a policy at a time :s
Hey

How would you answer a 24 marker on demography and ageing population???
Original post by Shadow_Amber
Hey

How would you answer a 24 marker on demography and ageing population???

Well you'd write about demography.. i.e. birth rates, death rates.. infant mortality rates.. fertility rates and explain the trends (reasons. i.e. reason for decline in birth rates are that women are remaining childless due to educational and employment oppertunites).. and write what the aging population is.. the implications of it... aging pyramids.. dependency culture.. social policies and how we would finance an aging population.. how agesm is a social construction (include theorists such as Report and Hirsch).. describe why there's an ageing population.. i.e. due to increase in life expectancy due to better standards of living, better nutrition.. an ageing population is increasing due to the decline in birth rates and fertility rates.. mention that all these factors are interdependent. i could go on forever however i really need some sleep.. being doing some hardcore revision today :s-smilie: Good luck everyone for the exam on monday! One hour seems TOO short... :s-smilie:
Original post by Deyesy
Migration too :yes:

yes and that :P
Original post by DeepDarkSecrets
I've been doing mind maps repeatedly and it does helps my only problem, my teacher has changed twice and both were of no help :frown: I have tried quite a few essays but i need someone to mark hem for me that's why I did give in one of my essays to my new teacher its been three weeks and she hasn't marked it as yet :frown:

Just pester your teacher, it's her job to let you know how you're progressing because how on earth will you know where you are before the exam? I've had a similar problem with Psychology as well, we've had 3 different teachers too and it's made me worry a bit although the latest fella to teach us is brilliant so far.

Good luck btw :smile:
Original post by salini1995
Yep u just giv ur opinion about all the paragraphs u wrote

I swear i have NEVER given my opinion in essays.. infact my sociology teacher said to NEVER include your opinion apparently examiners don't give a poop... We got told to give a quick summary of the major points we have in the conclusion making sure that we include AO2 marks which are given for assessing and contrasting theoretical interpretations.. I suppose all these sociology teachers are telling us different things :L
Reply 192
what do you think will come up?
Reply 193
Everyone thinks demography will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by megjones1
my teacher thinks that there will either be a 20 mark or 24 mark on couples :smile:

They both are 24 mark questions. Are you doing SCLY1 AQA board?

My teacher belives that it will be on sexual division of labour... if this comes up I am guaranteed to get a good grade as I know a lot of studies for this :yeah:
Reply 195
Well I'm pretty much okay with the 3 topics everyone thinks will be the essay's. I've just left Sunday to go over the other four topics. Nice going Christopher :colonhash:
Reply 196
Original post by rajak123
Everyone thinks demography will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm.... I hope it doesn't simply because i am not sure how to include studies in the question. I wont mind if it just asks in the short answer questions but if it comes in the essay question I am not sure what I am going to do :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by Deyesy
Well I'm pretty much okay with the 3 topics everyone thinks will be the essay's. I've just left Sunday to go over the other four topics. Nice going Christopher :colonhash:

to revise the essay questions I am just doing past papers, so far I have included about 10 to 15 key terms and 5 to 8 studies to get high marks. also at the end of each point you should link it back to the question. Also as you get a lot of marks on the evaluation I always make it clear by starting the evaluation with ' in Evaluation....' and ' further on evaluation.... ' so the examiner knows that we are evaluating.
Reply 198
I have learned about 30 studies and 30 key terms and 10 social policies. I also have recently done a mock and included the studies, key terms and social policies (at least one of them in each paragraph ... i tried to include 3 key terms in one parargraph though) and got an A.... but this is the 1st time i got an A as I have never done revision for sociology like this.... i just noticed that you must PLAN for 2 minutes as it will really help.... I did my education and research method on Jan 2013 and I got a D simply because I didnt include enough studies and key terms and PLAN!!!!!
Reply 199
Original post by Adavan
Hmmm.... I hope it doesn't simply because i am not sure how to include studies in the question. I wont mind if it just asks in the short answer questions but if it comes in the essay question I am not sure what I am going to so :s-smilie:

There aren't really any studies for demography, it's just more reasons for the decline in the birth rate, death rate and the affects of the decline of each.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending