The Student Room Group

The issue with girls hitting guys in the media

I was thinking about this on another thread, but in films and TV programmes there's a hideous double standard. If a guy hits a girl, he's abusing her and he's a despicable human being. If a girl hits a guy, it's perfectly fine, nobody bats an eyelid, if anything they cheer because she's been "empowered". Why do we all act like it's alright? I mean, the examples are everywhere, even children's things. Like Doctor Who, you can guarantee that when he meets his companion's mothers, they'll slap him. In fact, his companions are always slapping him too. River does it constantly, and he's just like "Yeah, I deserved that." We need to stop pretending that if guys mess up, that gives females a right to hit them. It doesn't, and young girls shouldn't be growing up with this belief. In Harry Potter, when Ron comes back, what does Hermione do? Start hitting him with a bag! I know it's fictional violence, but children still watch it and they're going to imitate it, aren't they? I know it's up to the parents and teachers and whatnot to teach their children what's right and wrong, but I think everyone had that stage in their life where they emulated their idol, and if that idol happens to be a woman who's constantly slapping guys for saying something offensive or making a mistake, what kind of message is that? Basically, violence is wrong regardless of who does it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't try and introduce concepts such as logic, hypocrisy or double standards to hardline proponents of feminism (or "equality" in general), they won't or will choose not to understand that it invalidates their arguments.

one thing is for sure, if you were a male making this thread you would be slapped with a deluge of red thumbs. you may be anyway :smile:

personally i don't really care if women want to slap men, if we're going to live in an oppressive patriarchal misogynist society as gets constantly claimed we may as well enjoy our status. just don't have us arrested if we restrain you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Personally I quite enjoy getting slapped by women. It is a very elegant way of sending a message to a guy to hit him by giving him a good slap around the chops. It's that feminine fire that all women have inside them and it's very attractive to me. I don't like getting kicked in the balls though, we should draw the line there me thinks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I was thinking about this on another thread, but in films and TV programmes there's a hideous double standard. If a guy hits a girl, he's abusing her and he's a despicable human being. If a girl hits a guy, it's perfectly fine, nobody bats an eyelid, if anything they cheer because she's been "empowered". Why do we all act like it's alright? I mean, the examples are everywhere, even children's things. Like Doctor Who, you can guarantee that when he meets his companion's mothers, they'll slap him. In fact, his companions are always slapping him too. River does it constantly, and he's just like "Yeah, I deserved that." We need to stop pretending that if guys mess up, that gives females a right to hit them. It doesn't, and young girls shouldn't be growing up with this belief. In Harry Potter, when Ron comes back, what does Hermione do? Start hitting him with a bag! I know it's fictional violence, but children still watch it and they're going to imitate it, aren't they? I know it's up to the parents and teachers and whatnot to teach their children what's right and wrong, but I think everyone had that stage in their life where they emulated their idol, and if that idol happens to be a woman who's constantly slapping guys for saying something offensive or making a mistake, what kind of message is that?

Yep, needs to change. It's not okay. I watched an interesting talk on TED about how manhood is portrayed in movies also. Just need to get rid of gender roles. Then we won't have this situation where it's okay to hit boys and not girls because they're 'stronger' and 'man enough to take it'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Eljamaispa
Yep, needs to change. It's not okay. I watched an interesting talk on TED about how manhood is portrayed in movies also. Just need to get rid of gender roles. Then we won't have this situation where it's okay to hit boys and not girls because they're 'stronger' and 'man enough to take it'.

more cultural Marxist poison
Reply 5
I was thinking about this on another thread, but in films and TV programmes there's a hideous double standard. If a guy hits a girl, he's abusing her and he's a despicable human being. If a girl hits a guy, it's perfectly fine, nobody bats an eyelid, if anything they cheer because she's been "empowered". Why do we all act like it's alright? I mean, the examples are everywhere, even children's things. Like Doctor Who, you can guarantee that when he meets his companion's mothers, they'll slap him. In fact, his companions are always slapping him too. River does it constantly, and he's just like "Yeah, I deserved that." We need to stop pretending that if guys mess up, that gives females a right to hit them. It doesn't, and young girls shouldn't be growing up with this belief. In Harry Potter, when Ron comes back, what does Hermione do? Start hitting him with a bag! I know it's fictional violence, but children still watch it and they're going to imitate it, aren't they? I know it's up to the parents and teachers and whatnot to teach their children what's right and wrong, but I think everyone had that stage in their life where they emulated their idol, and if that idol happens to be a woman who's constantly slapping guys for saying something offensive or making a mistake, what kind of message is that?

I personally find it quite shocking that women are portrayed as hitting/slapping men and that this is often portrayed as justified, whereas if the opposite happened then it would just not be acceptable. When I was growing up and watching television programmes like Eastenders where people slapped each other a fair bit, or indeed rather more recently seeing Hermione slap Ron, this became - not normalised, exactly, but far more acceptable. This is completely wrong and is extremely sexist. You can't have separate standards for men and women: in order to do feminism justice, the same social rules need to be applied for both genders. Thank you for raising such a pertinent and interesting point. I quite agree with you.
Reply 6
idc who it is if anyone hits me they will get connected in the face at a very high velocity
Not always- there was that woman in Corrie who was slapping Tyrone around.
Original post by smd4std
idc who it is if anyone hits me they will get connected in the face at a very high velocity

What if it was Obama?
Original post by thesabbath
more cultural Marxist poison

Marxism is a political theory. Don't see how my post is Marxist.

Thanks for the compelling argument though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was thinking about this on another thread, but in films and TV programmes there's a hideous double standard.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2133386

Not exactly what you're talking about but very close.
Marxism is a political theory. Don't see how my post is Marxist.

Thanks for the compelling argument though.

I said cultural Marxism, anti-Western ideology enforced at State level to maintain power over thought and actions, the hijacking of cultural norms for political gain, political correctness which did not formerly exist is the implementation of that and your ideas take it yet further. It can only "work" if it is enshrined in law since it goes against human nature. Via the extreme leftist education system and the BBC we now have a whole generation of "useful idiots" incapable of critical thinking who maintain this poisonous ideology with a collection of ready-made "insults" for all heretics, yet remain completely oblivious to its destruction of society.

How do you propose we eliminate gender roles?
(edited 10 years ago)
I said cultural Marxism, anti-Western ideology enforced at State level to maintain power over thought and actions, the hijacking of cultural norms for political gain, political correctness which did not formerly exist is the implementation of that and your ideas take it yet further. It can only "work" if it is enshrined in law since it goes against human nature. Via the extreme leftist education system and the BBC we now have a whole generation of "useful idiots" incapable of critical thinking who maintain this poisonous ideology with a collection of ready-made "insults" for all heretics, yet remain completely oblivious to its destruction of society.

How do you propose we eliminate gender roles?

You don't like Marxists, huh?

And it seems you have no trouble with the double standard that men can't hit women but its okay for women to hit men?

It's by no means simple and I doubt we can make people 'gender neutral' due to genetics and how that effects endogenous and exogenous environmental factors that will generally differ between men and women. However campaigns to make people realise things such as - being an effeminate man is not 'bad', being a masculine women is not 'bad', being a gay man does not automatically make him 'feminine' etc. releasing society from beliefs that limit one gender or the other to having to behave in a certain way in order to be considered a 'normal boy' or 'normal girl'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Anyone assaulting anyone is a crime and the victim has a right to strike back. We'll see how the women feel about that.

And it seems you have no trouble with the double standard that men can't hit women but its okay for women to hit men?

It's by no means simple and I doubt we can make people 'gender neutral' due to genetics and how that effects endogenous and exogenous environmental factors that will generally differ between men and women. However campaigns to make people realise things such as - being an effeminate man is not 'bad', being a masculine women is not 'bad', being a gay man does not automatically make him 'feminine' etc. releasing society from beliefs that limit one gender or the other to having to behave in a certain way in order to be considered a 'normal boy' or 'normal girl'.

it's every man's right to have babies if he wants them

[video="youtube;Dgp9MPLEAqA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA[/video]

from absurd surrealism to reality in a few decades of political correctness
it's every man's right to have babies if he wants them

[video="youtube;Dgp9MPLEAqA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgp9MPLEAqA[/video]

from absurd surrealism to reality in a few decades of political correctness

You didn't address my argument. You're arguing with an unposed argument of your fantasy Marxist enemy.

Troll somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessicaGarlai
the allowance of our slapping is a way of getting back at men after years of inequality and discrimination.

I don't think that quite works. The man a women slaps could have nothing to do with these years of inequality yet he should take moral responsibility for it? Its like an African American slapping white Americans because their forefathers may have had something to do with slavery. Its not permissible You can't allow inequality against a whole group of people or a gender because of the past.
Reply 17
Original post by JessicaGarlai
the allowance of our slapping is a way of getting back at men after years of inequality and discrimination.

yeah, just like black people are allowed to slap white people because of slavery. oh wait no, that's retarded.

if men can't hit women, women can't hit men. it is as simple as that.

It's by no means simple and I doubt we can make people 'gender neutral' due to genetics and how that effects endogenous and exogenous environmental factors that will generally differ between men and women. However campaigns to make people realise things such as - being an effeminate man is not 'bad', being a masculine women is not 'bad', being a gay man does not automatically make him 'feminine' etc. releasing society from beliefs that limit one gender or the other to having to behave in a certain way in order to be considered a 'normal boy' or 'normal girl'

You didn't address my argument. You're arguing with an unposed argument of your fantasy Marxist enemy.

Troll somewhere else.

You've presented me with a plot to indoctrinate the next generation with a non-binary gender belief system to carry out your sociological experiments on a grand scale. Forgive me for finding it rather unreasonable.

Any effort to enforce the disappearance of "gender roles" in society can only be "achieved" by the moderation of an overarching agency, that agency being the State via "Equality" legislation: control of actions and control of the thoughts of those who do not question.
Reply 19
If a girl slapped me, I can't see myself hitting her back. Sure, I would get mad and shout at her, call her names etc. but I would see it as lack of self control on my part if I raged and slapped her back.

Am I brainwashed by the liberal media? No, I just acknowledge that a slap from a 5'4 130lb woman is different to one from a fully grown adult male who is pound for pound twice as strong and a lot faster than his female opponent.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest