The Student Room Group

AQA Econ unit 1

This is my first thread and I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm sitting the exam on Monday and am getting increasingly worried about 12 markers. I'd like to think I'm okay on multiple choice, the 5, 8 and 25 markers but the 12 marker is a growing concern of mine. My question is, would anyone be kind enough to please please give me a perfect or near-perfect 12 mark answer that I can base mine on? I'm just really confused about the structure so anything like that would really help.
You can PM me if you're not comfortable with posting your answers publicly, I won't share it with anyone.
Reply 1
I do have a model answer (11/12) but don't know how I could show it to you.

Remember it's 4 marks for the diagram.

Then;
Defining two relevant terms (2 marks)
Explanation - Two marks awarded for each logical link in the chain of reasoning (Up to 6 marks)
Explanation of any other relevant points (Up to 6 points)

Don't know if any of that helped, good luck anyway:wink:
Reply 2
how would you go about doing the 25 markers?

from what I've gathered, you just go over the key points you are going to talk about in the intro and do a couple of defenitions, you then analyse your method of intervention (how it works, why you would use it...), for the evaluation do you then discuss how well your method would work? talking about strengths/weaknesses/other methods which could work better? and then conclude whether the government should intervene in the market or not.
(including diagrams alongside all of the above)

Thanks to anyone who replies!:colone:
Reply 3
Original post by Tarmu
I do have a model answer (11/12) but don't know how I could show it to you.

Remember it's 4 marks for the diagram.

Then;
Defining two relevant terms (2 marks)
Explanation - Two marks awarded for each logical link in the chain of reasoning (Up to 6 marks)
Explanation of any other relevant points (Up to 6 points)

Don't know if any of that helped, good luck anyway:wink:

I could give you my email or you could PM me it. The thing is, I've been told that a lot but I'm still not too sure about the explanation, which is a problem because that's where most of the marks lie. So I thought the best thing to do was look at an example and hopefully I can see what the examiners are looking for.
Reply 4
Original post by zzachjoy
how would you go about doing the 25 markers?

from what I've gathered, you just go over the key points you are going to talk about in the intro and do a couple of defenitions, you then analyse your method of intervention (how it works, why you would use it...), for the evaluation do you then discuss how well your method would work? talking about strengths/weaknesses/other methods which could work better? and then conclude whether the government should intervene in the market or not.
(including diagrams alongside all of the above)

Thanks to anyone who replies!:colone:

What I've been doing is writing a very concise intro, made up of a few definitions (I almost always do market failure and government intervention) I then talk say what the failure is (another definition) and explain WHY that's a problem.
I then do two or three paragraphs in which I introduce the methods and explain them, do a diagram for two of these and explain the effect that they would have. Then I analyse the method and its downsides, then get on to the big marks - evaluation. I try to talk about how effective it could be in both the long and short term and discuss the effect of it on the lower classes or those who are addicted etc.
Then I do a small conclusion in which I do lots and lots of evaluation of whether or not government intervention would be useful and what method would be the most effective.
And that's about it! I hope that helped a little.
12 marks:

- Define any relevant buzzwords
- Draw diagram
- *QUOTE THE SOURCE EXPLICITLY* & use that to explain how/why your diagram shifts the way it does
- Refer directly to your graph...D1 to D2...P1 to P2 etc
- Explain the cause/effect of the graph (e.g think of a ladder, stepping stones...you are building your case)

Should be about a page with a nice big graph. Look at the mark scheme this last minute, too. That is what I did and I got 90 UMS.
Reply 6
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
12 marks:

- Define any relevant buzzwords
- Draw diagram
- *QUOTE THE SOURCE EXPLICITLY* & use that to explain how/why your diagram shifts the way it does
- Refer directly to your graph...D1 to D2...P1 to P2 etc
- Explain the cause/effect of the graph (e.g think of a ladder, stepping stones...you are building your case)

Should be about a page with a nice big graph. Look at the mark scheme this last minute, too. That is what I did and I got 90 UMS.

Sounds awesome, thanks! Looks like I'm going to have to read the mark scheme and hope for the best. That's really good, well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending