The Student Room Group

Evaluating a triple integral in spherical coordinates

Q: The points of intersection of the cone z2=x2+y2 z^2 = x^2 + y^2 and the sphere x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z form a circle (in addition to the origin). Find the volume of the solid that lies above the plane containing this circle and inside the sphere.

I've been trying to solve this question, but can't get the correct answer. The variables in spherical coordinates are ρ, ϕ,\rho,\ \phi, and θ\theta, where x=ρsinϕcosθx = \rho \sin \phi \cos \theta, y=ρsinϕsinθy = \rho \sin \phi \sin \theta and z=ρcosϕz = \rho \cos \phi. I don't have any tool that could help me draw the surfaces, so you'd have to imagine the surfaces yourself. Solving x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z in spherical coordinates gives me the limits of ρ\rho, i.e from 0 to 4cosϕ4\cos \phi. Solving z2=x2+y2 z^2 = x^2 + y^2 gives the limits of ϕ\phi, i.e from 0 to pi/4. And theta would, of course, be from 0 to 2pi as the region covered is a complete circle.

Using these limits, the expression for volume should be 02π0π404cosϕρ2sinϕ dρ dϕ dθ\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \displaystyle \int_0^{4\cos \phi} \rho^2 \sin \phi\ d\rho\ d\phi\ d\theta.

Thanks a lot for giving your time to reading the post. I just want to ask where I'm going wrong in getting the correct expression for the volume. ANY help would be appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
You haven't considered the plane in which the circle of intersection lies yet (which consequently means that your lower limit for rho is not quite right).

Also, I don't know follow what you mean by "solving …" before you find the limits - for a volume, you should be looking to solve inequalities, not equations. Visualising the volume will help you to see why your lower rho limit is wrong -- it is the solid section of the sphere that lies above the plane of intersection.
Reply 2
Original post by Zishi
Q: The points of intersection of the cone z2=x2+y2 z^2 = x^2 + y^2 and the sphere x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z form a circle (in addition to the origin). Find the volume of the solid that lies above the plane containing this circle and inside the sphere.

I've been trying to solve this question, but can't get the correct answer. The variables in spherical coordinates are ρ, ϕ,\rho,\ \phi, and θ\theta, where x=ρsinϕcosθx = \rho \sin \phi \cos \theta, y=ρsinϕsinθy = \rho \sin \phi \sin \theta and z=ρcosϕz = \rho \cos \phi. I don't have any tool that could help me draw the surfaces, so you'd have to imagine the surfaces yourself. Solving x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z in spherical coordinates gives me the limits of ρ\rho, i.e from 0 to 4cosϕ4\cos \phi. Solving z2=x2+y2 z^2 = x^2 + y^2 gives the limits of ϕ\phi, i.e from 0 to pi/4. And theta would, of course, be from 0 to 2pi as the region covered is a complete circle.

Using these limits, the expression for volume should be 02π0π404cosϕρ2sinϕ dρ dϕ dθ\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} \displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \displaystyle \int_0^{4\cos \phi} \rho^2 \sin \phi\ d\rho\ d\phi\ d\theta.

Thanks a lot for giving your time to reading the post. I just want to ask where I'm going wrong in getting the correct expression for the volume. ANY help would be appreciated.

For intersection solving the system you will get the z=2 plane
As the midpont of the spere is (0,0,2) consider u=z-2 transform
Reply 3
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You haven't considered the plane in which the circle of intersection lies yet (which consequently means that your lower limit for rho is not quite right).

Also, I don't know follow what you mean by "solving …" before you find the limits - for a volume, you should be looking to solve inequalities, not equations. Visualising the volume will help you to see why your lower rho limit is wrong -- it is the solid section of the sphere that lies above the plane of intersection.

Alright. By solving, I mean changing the equations into spherical coordinates, i.e replacing x, y and z by ρ,ϕ\rho, \phi and θ\theta. Putting x2+y2=z2x^2 + y^2 = z^2 into x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z gives z = 2, i.e ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi. So my lower limit should be ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi, right?

Original post by ztibor
For intersection solving the system you will get the z=2 plane
As the midpont of the spere is (0,0,2) consider u=z-2 transform

z=2 gives ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi, which should be my lower limit, right?
Reply 4
Original post by Zishi
Alright. By solving, I mean changing the equations into spherical coordinates, i.e replacing x, y and z by ρ,ϕ\rho, \phi and θ\theta. Putting x2+y2=z2x^2 + y^2 = z^2 into x2+y2+z2=4zx^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z gives z = 2, i.e ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi. So my lower limit should be ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi, right?

z=2 gives ρ=2secϕ\rho = 2\sec \phi, which should be my lower limit, right?

Yes. And the upper?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ztibor
Yes. And the upper?

ρ=4cosϕ\rho = 4\cos \phi?
Reply 6
Original post by ztibor
Yes. And the upper?

BUMP! You haven't replied to post #6 yet. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
you learning calculus 3 currently in the u.s?
Reply 8
Original post by Zishi
BUMP! You haven't replied to post #6 yet. :rolleyes:

Sorry
Your answer is correct.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest