The Student Room Group

AQA AS History - Unit 1M - USA 1890-1945- Tuesday 14th may 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Phil Dunphy
Yep, I only remember FERA, TVA and AAA. You only need at least 3 my teacher told me.

Does your teacher always moan about factual knowledge?
Original post by Xx4L3x
Does your teacher always moan about factual knowledge?

No. He says history is about limited knowledge and exam technique. Dates are the only thing you need to remember. 70% of his class last year got As, so he knows what he's on about :smile:
No. He says history is about limited knowledge and exam technique. Dates are the only thing you need to remember. 70% of his class last year got As, so he knows what he's on about :smile:

So you're saying we should just focus on key dates and events. Is exam technique more important than an in depth knowledge?
Well have to do 2 out of the 3 questions and question one is 1890-1920. Question 2 is 1920-1930 and question 3 1930-1947 (though sometimes questions overlap into other decades) but mostly the pattern. If you haven't yet done ww2/new deal probably a good idea to know the ins and outs of 1890-1930 so you'll know about events so questions 1+2 you could do well... Though this is risky if you don't understand the question ect. With the alphabet agencies our teach said dont learn all of them just 5 that are good to support for not successful/successful :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by historykatie
Well have to do 2 out of the 3 questions and question one is 1890-1920. Question 2 is 1920-1930 and question 3 1930-1947 (though sometimes questions overlap into other decades) but mostly the pattern. If you haven't yet done ww2/new deal probably a good idea to know the ins and outs of 1890-1930 so you'll know about events so questions 1+2 you could do well... Though this is risky if you don't understand the question ect. With the alphabet agencies our teach said dont learn all of them just 5 that are good to support for not successful/successful :smile:

Yeah I think I'm just going to concentrate on c.1890 - 1920 and c.1920 - 1930

My teacher is such a liar !! She says you have to learn them all haha what a joker
Reply 25

What do you mean by "limited knowledge" ? By teacher said facts are key to the exam. She seems to have contracted what other teachers have said :/
Original post by chelseafan
So you're saying we should just focus on key dates and events. Is exam technique more important than an in depth knowledge?

Yes he reckons.

Example: Explain why Harding won the 1920 election.

One of your points would go:

- Normalcy policy. Give a sentence or two explaining what it is.
- Why did the American people want this? Two sentences.
- Judgment. Domestic problems, etc. were important. Harding's 'normalcy' well received.
- Link.
Original post by Xx4L3x
Yeah I think I'm just going to concentrate on c.1890 - 1920 and c.1920 - 1930

My teacher is such a liar !! She says you have to learn them all haha what a joker

Why are teachers so contradictory? :P

Limited knowledge is basically knowing the basics, applying dates and putting it into context. You don't need to know trivial things like the exact percentage of unemployment in 1932. Round it up, apply a date, why was unemployment high, etc?
We've only done the first 2 parts. Haven't covered the new deal so we don't get a choice of what question to do.
Im still confussed what exam techneque is...
Im still confussed what exam techneque is...

The way you structure an essay/approach it. E.g. PEEL, etc.
I'm actually great at exam technique. Really struggling with knowledge though.
I'm actually great at exam technique. Really struggling with knowledge though.

Maybe i can help seeing as it classes as revision :smile:
Tbh it's not the understanding/knowledge i'm stuggling with it's the time limmit..
Is anyone stuggling with the 12 minutes and 24minutes time restriction per question?
Tbh it's not the understanding/knowledge i'm stuggling with it's the time limmit..
Is anyone stuggling with the 12 minutes and 24minutes time restriction per question?

A little. I managed to do a 12 marker in 11mins and a 24 in 20. But handwriting was abysmal and mark was mediocre :tongue:

Yeah I am. And when I'm writing fast my handwriting turns into Arabic.
I genuinly think in the exam i'd do one question (12+24 mark) and only have 15minutes left for the other question haha.. *Cry
Maybe i can help seeing as it classes as revision :smile:

What's the best method to quickly and efficiently revise the content just 2 days before the exam.
What's the best method to quickly and efficiently revise the content just 2 days before the exam.

I started revising at Easter but revised the night before for my mocks and got good grades. All I did was make powerpoints using the textbook and class notes and then just read them on the train the morning of the exam :smile:

I'll PM you one I made on the new deal if that helps?
Personly I would say having an overview is the best for the exam so read the text book from start to finish then after knowing what happens and why.. then try and learn and remember factual contex (% and numbers ect but mainly just round them up so instead of trying to remember 4,946,643 votes just say 5million) our teacher said the marker gets around10p per paper they mark and they have to mark hundreds so just keep that in mind they don't remember everything and arn't going to not give you a mark for not getting the exact number

Quick Reply

Latest