Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by upthegunners
so far I have got:

when v=0 t=4/3 amd t=0

when t=0 d=3

when t=4/3 d=49/27

what other times do we take? thanks man

May as well go on and finish this here as I need to get back to revision!

Consider the graph of v=3t34tv=3t^3-4t. You know that the area underneath a velocity-time curve represents displacement. So, if we want to find total distance, we need to discard the sign of displacement and find the magnitude.

Find out when v<0v<0, as this will help you determine what is a 'negative displacement'. I worked out that v<0v<0 when t>43t>\sqrt{\dfrac{4}{3}}.

Now, you know the time at which he is back at his original position. Can you figure out how to find the distance he has travelled yet?
Original post by priyashah95
So scared for tomorrow :frown: wanna cry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too :cry:

:console:
Does anyone know why they've timetabled C1 and M1 for the same day/time? Surely many people are doing both. Seems to be such a logistical fail IMO!
For harder mechanics do you need to use calculus? For example, integration to find areas under velocity-time graphs for displacement?
Original post by reubenkinara
Does anyone know why they've timetabled C1 and M1 for the same day/time? Surely many people are doing both. Seems to be such a logistical fail IMO!

If you think that's unfair, my brother has consistently had 2/3/4 exam clashes :L
Reply 86
Yo, I wonder if anyone can answer this S1 question? I can't do it, my teachers can't do it, my friend who got 100 in S1 the first time we took it can't.
Eight cards are selected with replacement from a standard pack of 52 playing cards, with 12 picture cards, 20 odd cards and 20 even cards.
a) How many different sequences of 8 cards are possible?
For this I did 52^8, which is correct.
b) How many of the sequences in part a) will contain 3 picture cards, 3 odd-numbered cards and 2 even-numbered cards?
The answer in the back of the book says 3.097 x 10^12. I have tried a multitude of methods and cannot for the life of me obtain this answer.
Original post by Felix Felicis
If you think that's unfair, my brother has consistently had 2/3/4 exam clashes :L

I see. That's a shame. I myself have no clashes but many of my peers have lamented over clashes for maths modules.
I see. That's a shame. I myself have no clashes but many of my peers have lamented over clashes for maths modules.

Tbf, he does do IB though.
Tbf, he does do IB though.

My old school did IB, would have done it but they didn't offer Further Maths HL :sad:

Apparently they've got linear algebra and group theory and other cool stuff on IB Further Maths :sexface:
Original post by justinawe
My old school did IB, would have done it but they didn't offer Further Maths HL :sad:

Apparently they've got linear algebra and group theory and other cool stuff on IB Further Maths :sexface:

Further Maths SL* :wink: Yeah he's doing that, independently though - he's shown me some cool stuff for the options topic: it's like a-level analysis, groups, number theory and then stats which looks like up to S3 ish :sexface:
Further Maths SL* :wink: Yeah he's doing that, independently though - he's shown me some cool stuff for the options topic: it's like a-level analysis, groups, number theory and then stats which looks like up to S3 ish :sexface:

It's HL starting from 2014 exam series I think, so would be SL for him, but HL if I'd done it.
Reply 92
Hello,

Could someone help me out here, I never understand proof questions.
proof.JPG

If you know, can you also explain this whole idea behind '2n+1' and '2n' I don't understand it.

Thank you.
Original post by ThePersian
Hello,

Could someone help me out here, I never understand proof questions.
proof.JPG

If you know, can you also explain this whole idea behind '2n+1' and '2n' I don't understand it.

Thank you.

Seems like a fairly simple induction proof, what exactly are you having trouble with?
Reply 94

What about the AEA/STEP I clash this year? That will be fun :biggrin:

For harder mechanics do you need to use calculus? For example, integration to find areas under velocity-time graphs for displacement?

Double quoted!

Firstly, Edexcel are notoriously bad at exam timetabling, for no conceivable reason other than to finish AS Level exams before A2 level exams. For example, I have the following clashes in my Maths exams this summer:

18th June - C4/M4
21st June - FP2/S4
24th June - FP3/M5

So many clashes could be avoided just by, for example, sitting M5 with M1 instead of with FP3, as M5 and FP3 are basically always sat together. But Edexcel never do this.

And you'll find calculus comes up in all modules past M1. M2 has basic differentiation and integration to solve kinematics problems. M3 contains more advanced differentiation and integration in kinematics, including acceleration as a function of displacement, integration to find work done and impulse, and integration to find centres of mass. M4 contains first and second order differential equations, along with calculus to find positions of stability. M5 contains first and second order vector differential equations, differential equations on varying mass (Where you have to derive the equations yourself using limits), integration to find moments of inertia and a bit of calculus in rotational motion.
Reply 96
Hey, can someone help me with this question from M1 November 2003 Paper.
http://www.carlgauss.co.uk/PDFs/A-Level%20Papers/M1/M1%20-%202003%20November%20Paper.pdf
It's question 7f. I've done a-e, but I don't understand how to work out part f
I have my c2 tommorow. Wondering if i still get full marks in bionomial expansion if i multiply out using the box method and get correct answer. Can any one help. Please!

Mechanics at its heart always utilises calculus. That's why Newton invented calculus! M1 has no right to call itself mechanics ;P
Reply 99
Original post by Adam_Pritchard
I have my c2 tommorow. Wondering if i still get full marks in bionomial expansion if i multiply out using the box method and get correct answer. Can any one help. Please!

If the answer is right, and a sound method is used, it should be fine

Latest

Trending

Trending