The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
Original post by Zürich
But serious question, which player has the best individual performance in a single game under Fergie?

The XI debate has been done to death.

(neglecting the 90s, was only a kid)

Keane's the obvious one of course. I'll throw in Rio Ferdinand against Barcelona in the 2008 home leg, and Wes Brown deserves a mention there too, both were sensational. Tevez's work rate was unforgettable in the same match as well. Beckham also had a couple of 'Greece moments' for us, he was an inspirational player and I think the off the pitch stuff has made him a touch underrated by a few. Was great in the 5-3 comeback win against Spurs. Scholes against Fulham a couple of years back was pretty much a perfect performance, if on something of a lesser occasion. I want to mention Ronaldo as well, and although it wasn't a particularly great performance in itself, the one that sticks out is against Derby County. Was one of those horrible away days where nothing goes right, he himself missed a host of chances, but it's a game where his determination and will to win pulled us through and he got the winner late on. Probably not one of the best performances under SAF, but I think it's a game which typified what made Ronaldo so good, as much as any surging run, backheel goal or 40 yard wonderstrike.

None really came close to Keane though. His position, style of play and force of personality makes sure of that.

Where did you watch the full Juve-Utd game btw?
Original post by Zürich
But serious question, which player has the best individual performance in a single game under Fergie?

The XI debate has been done to death.

Keane v Juventus 1999 CL - in terms of the magnitude of the occasion, the game situation and the opposition it's difficult to argue against this one.

Others:
Keane v Liverpool 1996 FA Cup final - imo, this performance was better than against Juventus, if you remove the context.
Wes Brown v Barca 2008 CL
Rio v Liverpool 2006/2007 at Anfield (hard to pick one for Rio, has had a lot of great individual performances in huge games)
Vidic v Tottenham 2010/2011 at WHL
Rooney v Arsenal in the 8-2 match
Park v Chelsea 2011 'title-decider' at OT
One of the best individual performances I remember was Peter Schmeichel's in the title decider against Newcastle at St James Park in 1996 where he pulled off save after save, amazing goalkeeping. But Cantona deserves a special mention for his match defining contribution and I'll never forget his celebration with the crazy scream into the sky, would love a GIF of that!

What a day is to come! Schmeichel is in Sky studios it seems. I really hope Keane is there also, what's happened has happened and probably not a bad time to bury the hatchet with SAF.
Roy Keane at Highbury for the 4-2 was pretty decent. Considering he was well past his peak that is, he had much better games. But that one was spicy.

Van Der Sar was good for your 2008 CL win.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Louis.
(neglecting the 90s, was only a kid)

Keane's the obvious one of course. I'll throw in Rio Ferdinand against Barcelona in the 2008 home leg, and Wes Brown deserves a mention there too, both were sensational. Tevez's work rate was unforgettable in the same match as well. Beckham also had a couple of 'Greece moments' for us, he was an inspirational player and I think the off the pitch stuff has made him a touch underrated by a few. Was great in the 5-3 comeback win against Spurs. Scholes against Fulham a couple of years back was pretty much a perfect performance, if on something of a lesser occasion. I want to mention Ronaldo as well, and although it wasn't a particularly great performance in itself, the one that sticks out is against Derby County. Was one of those horrible away days where nothing goes right, he himself missed a host of chances, but it's a game where his determination and will to win pulled us through and he got the winner late on. Probably not one of the best performances under SAF, but I think it's a game which typified what made Ronaldo so good, as much as any surging run, backheel goal or 40 yard wonderstrike.

None really came close to Keane though. His position, style of play and force of personality makes sure of that.

Where did you watch the full Juve-Utd game btw?

My dad is a football anorak, happened to have a Utd DVD of the full Juventus game.Its pretty old, but with loads of interviews etc. Keane was a beast.
Reply 4005
Can't contain my excitement. :manutd: #thankyousiralex :adore:

Reply 4006
Keane vs Juve is the top one.

Berba vs Liverpool was an amazing performance.
Rio vs Roma
Scholes vs Liverpool in 06/07 season
Giggs vs Juve in 2003
Nani vs Arsenal (Fa Cup 4-0)

Against Fergie has to be: Kaka and Ronaldo both ripped us apart.
Reply 4007
No Rooney in the squad.

Fergie's last United XI at OT vs Swansea: De Gea, Jones, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Welbeck, Kagawa, RvP & Chicharito.

Man Utd Subs: Lindegaard, Evans, Buttner, Anderson, Valencia, Cleverley, Giggs - #MUFC
Reply 4008
Original post by Akkuz
No Rooney in the squad.

Fergie's last United XI at OT vs Swansea: De Gea, Jones, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Welbeck, Kagawa, RvP & Chicharito.

Man Utd Subs: Lindegaard, Evans, Buttner, Anderson, Valencia, Cleverley, Giggs - #MUFC

Maybe the rumors were true? Interesting to see where Rooney is/how he's acting during the trophy presentation
No Rooney? Does he really have stitches...

He's going going gone :frown:

Shame, hard to replace. MARIO GOMEZ anyone?
Reply 4010
Original post by Whitechapel

Mario Gomez would not replace Rooney, we are linked with Benzema now he would replace Rooney.
Original post by Akkuz
No Rooney in the squad.

I'm glad Scholes is playing. I did have a small fear we would have had both Giggs and Scholes starting together in the middle.
Reply 4012

It will ultimately be DM's decision as to whether or not Rooney is sold tbh.

Evidently SAF was not impressed by Rooney's transfer request, especially the timing of it, as the season hasn't finished yet.

Nope he doesn't, not on his face anyway

Most likely, he asked to leave, SAF is showing no1 is bigger than the club. I doubt they know right now whether he is off for sure yet or not anyway.
Looks like could be some truth to the rumours, but shame this incident is going to be an unneeded side show for SAF's farewell. Hope we can put on a good performance filled with goals!
This game will be so emotional. I'm glad Scholes is starting, though. Almost makes his retirement bearable ;(
Original post by rohitbd
Mario Gomez would not replace Rooney, we are linked with Benzema now he would replace Rooney.

Benzema is useless.
Original post by SirMasterKey
I'm glad Scholes is playing. I did have a small fear we would have had both Giggs and Scholes starting together in the middle.

I wouldn't mind. Would be a fitting end :^_^:
Original post by manchesterunited15
I wouldn't mind. Would be a fitting end :^_^:

Especially with a Giggs assist to Scholes, who scores a winning 30 yard piledriver into the top corner, :coma: . That would be so amazing.
Original post by samiz20891
Especially with a Giggs assist to Scholes, who scores a winning 30 yard piledriver into the top corner, :coma: . That would be so amazing.

And then getting sent off in the last minute for a legbreaker :ninja:

Latest