The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Victoriapownall
Do you think I will be able to get 100 ums in B1 and C1 this June as I got 90 ums in P1 in JANURY when the grade boundaries were high and everyone said that physics is the hardest one ...I really want full marks in an exam

Yeah defo, i'll tell you now all you need to do:

1. Learn the cgp book
2. Do every past paper and LEARN every mark scheme
3. Do the specimen apper and Learn the mark scheme

=100 UMS

I applied this for C2, unfortunately I only got 91 because of a ridiculously stupid 6 marker on something that wasnt even in the syllabus. As well as this the grade boundaries were insane!

Trust me if you do this you will be getting 100s and it will take the pressure off so you don't end up in my position having to get like high 90-100 to get an a*, as well as having like 15 other exams :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sneakbo2
Yeah defo, i'll tell you now all you need to do:

1. Learn the cgp book
2. Do every past paper and LEARN every mark scheme
3. Do the specimen apper and Learn the mark scheme

=100 UMS

I applied this for C2, unfortunately I only got 91 because of a ridiculously stupid 6 marker on something that wasnt even in the syllabus. As well as this the grade boundaries were insane!

Trust me if you do this you will be getting 100s and it will take the pressure off so you don't end up in my position having to get like high 90-100 to get an a* :smile:

I only need 85 ums in C1 and B1 to get an A* overall in core but I really want 100 ums in atleast one of them exams just so I can prove to myself that I'm capable of doing it. I don't like CGP revision guides but I'm learning the whole AQA Science A revision guide ! , and I will do past papers in half term once I've finished learning the whole of C1 and B1 I'm actually going to be fuming if I don't get 100 ums in one of them as AQA science exams are so easy in my opinion and I could have easily have got 100 ums in P1 but the exam stress just got to me on the day and I was way to slow during the fist half of the paper so I ended up with no time left to check my answers !!!
I only need 85 ums in C1 and B1 to get an A* overall in core but I really want 100 ums in atleast one of them exams just so I can prove to myself that I'm capable of doing it. I don't like CGP revision guides but I'm learning the whole AQA Science A revision guide ! , and I will do past papers in half term once I've finished learning the whole of C1 and B1 I'm actually going to be fuming if I don't get 100 ums in one of them as AQA science exams are so easy in my opinion and I could have easily have got 100 ums in P1 but the exam stress just got to me on the day and I was way to slow during the fist half of the paper so I ended up with no time left to check my answers !!!

What do you mean by that? Don't you still have to do c2 b2 p2 c3 b3 p3? You don't get awarded a* based on core it's just chemistry biology and physics GCSES? Unless you do the actual p1 c1 b1 exam all in one then that's core :confused: +Yeah Physics and Chemistry are really easy to get 100s in to be honest, but Biology is more difficult. The mark schemes are VERY specific
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 343
My main problem with the exams are running out of time. In last years chemistry exam I must have missed 3 pages at the end so ended up with 1 mark off a B which is so annoying as I know if I was quicker I would have done much better :frown:
Reply 344
Could someone explain what ums is ? We don't get told things like this at school so I have no idea?
What do you mean by that? Don't you still have to do c2 b2 p2 c3 b3 p3? You don't get awarded a* based on core it's just chemistry biology and physics GCSES? Unless you do the actual p1 c1 b1 exam all in one then that's core :confused: +Yeah Physics and Chemistry are really easy to get 100s in to be honest, but Biology is more difficult. The mark schemes are VERY specific

I do core science I did P1 in jan and I've done the ISA and I'm doing C1 and B1 in June,then I'm doing additional next year ! To get an A* in core you need a total of 360 ums out of 400 and I got 90 in P1 and 100 in the ISA so I need 170 ums from B1 and C1 to get an A* overall....and I'm going to revise more for biology than chem as C1 is a joke if I'm being honest ! :smile:
can anyone tell me what I need to get for B3 for an A*?

B1 - 94
B2 - 88
ISA - 42/50

Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by megan1997
Could someone explain what ums is ? We don't get told things like this at school so I have no idea?

It's just a conversion of your percentage out of 100 based on the difficulty of the paper. For example in b2 I got something like 39/60 raw marks which is 65% (that paper was absolutely ridiculous difficulty) and it was converted to 86 ums so on results day I actually got my result saying I got 86. Although in the actual exam I got 65% lol
Original post by megan1997

Ums marks are the marks out of 100 so say you get like 45/60 on an exam the exam board convert the raw marks into ums marks so in this instance you might get 90ums marks. Ums marks are used to give you an overall grade so for core science you need 360 ums marks out of 400 to get an A* overall but the exams are out of 60 so the mark you get on your exam certificate will be a ums mark not the actual raw mark so even though you can only 60 marks on the test your ums mark could be 100 !
I've got both unit 2 and 3 on Tuesday!
It's just a conversion of your percentage out of 100 based on the difficulty of the paper. For example in b2 I got something like 39/60 raw marks which is 65% (that paper was absolutely ridiculous difficulty) and it was converted to 86 ums so on results day I actually got my result saying I got 86. Although in the actual exam I got 65% lol

I got 84% on my P1 exam but got 90 ums marks so I thank AQA for bumping my grade up by 5% haha !
Reply 351
Original post by you-only-live-once
can anyone tell me what I need to get for B3 for an A*?

B1 - 94
B2 - 88
ISA - 42/50

Thanks so much :smile:

Hello!

To get an a* overall you need to get at least 360% (out of 400%)

isa = 84%

94+88+84 = 266

360-266 = 94

So you need to get at least 94 to get an a* overall :smile:
I do core science I did P1 in jan and I've done the ISA and I'm doing C1 and B1 in June,then I'm doing additional next year ! To get an A* in core you need a total of 360 ums out of 400 and I got 90 in P1 and 100 in the ISA so I need 170 ums from B1 and C1 to get an A* overall....and I'm going to revise more for biology than chem as C1 is a joke if I'm being honest ! :smile:

Who told you this? I think you're doing it seperately so you're going to get a biology, chemistry and physics gcse. If you do Core im pretty sure its c1 b1 and p1 all in one exam, i'm not sure though so don't quote me on this
Reply 353
Ums marks are the marks out of 100 so say you get like 45/60 on an exam the exam board convert the raw marks into ums marks so in this instance you might get 90ums marks. Ums marks are used to give you an overall grade so for core science you need 360 ums marks out of 400 to get an A* overall but the exams are out of 60 so the mark you get on your exam certificate will be a ums mark not the actual raw mark so even though you can only 60 marks on the test your ums mark could be 100 !

So it's like percentage? So instead of 90% being the minimum for a* is actually 90UMS?
Who told you this? I think you're doing it seperately so you're going to get a biology, chemistry and physics gcse. If you do Core im pretty sure its c1 b1 and p1 all in one exam, i'm not sure though so don't quote me on this

No there are two options for doing core one involves a combined exam and the isa and the other option involves doing C1 B1 and P1 separately and then the ISA whcih is what I'm doing ! I'm definetly doing core !
What topics you most worried about in unit 3?
Original post by issie1234
So it's like percentage? So instead of 90% being the minimum for a* is actually 90UMS?

Yeh the ums marks are the same for every exam so you need 90 ums for an A* but the raw marks may differ from every paper as in June 2012 you needed 44 raw marks for 90ums but in January 2013 you needed 45 marks for 90 ums marks,most of the time you will only need around 85% for an A* so although it says 90 it doesn't literally mean you got 90% !
(edited 10 years ago)
No there are two options for doing core one involves a combined exam and the isa and the other option involves doing C1 B1 and P1 separately and then the ISA whcih is what I'm doing ! I'm definetly doing core !

Omg that so much better than doing seperate sciences :mad: lool oh well
Just checking there is no other practice papers apart from the specimen is there because we r the first year of B3.
Omg that so much better than doing seperate sciences :mad: lool oh well

I would have chosen separate science though but at the time I hates science ! But yeh it's much easier and you still get 2 GCSE out of it which is all you need to do Alevel science ! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending