The Student Room Group

Stafford House EFL Summer Recruitment Interview

Hi Everyone,

I havn't used this forum in a long time, but now I'm back and searching for employment in the U.K. its becoming very useful! I have been teaching EFL abroad since leaving university.

I have a telephone interview in a few days with Stafford House for there summer school programs, as an Activity Leader (I'm not CELTA/Trinity qualified for the role of EFL Teacher). I'm wondering if anyone has had an interview with them before? What questions they might ask? etc. If anyone has had any experience working with them? Or if you have experience working with another EFL summer school? and if they telephone interviewed you?

Thought i'd post on here for any feedback. It all helps! Thank You
Reply 1
Ok for anyone who may look at this thread in the future and wants to know what the telephone interview questions consisted of, here we go, obviously i can't remember the exact order and wording and there will be some I've forgotten. This will also be helpful for any interview regarding Activity Leader summer positions i guess.

Tell me what you know about our organisation/company?
Explain why you have this certain gap in employment? (only applicable if you have gaps obviously)
Are you full-time student? Are you employed?
Explain what work you've done with children/teenagers?
What ages were they?
Why do you want work as an Activity Leader?
Give me an example of when you worked in a team?
Can you be assertive with large groups of children/teens?
Are you comfortable working with Teens not much younger than yourself?
What would you do if you were walking back from a trip with a group of teens/children and it starts raining?
What would you do if you had 30 children but only one football for an activity?
What would you do you were told your group of children/teens would need to wait 1hr or more be to go on an excursion? e.g Because the mini-bus was late.
The job is quite physically demanding, Would you be able to handle the physical side of the job?

Hope this helps somebody out!
Reply 2
So i did my telephone interview almost 2 weeks ago, I'm presuming I've been unsuccessful as nobody has contacted me back yet?! I think they're meant to contact within 2 weeks if you are succcessful.

Now i have another telephone interview for ATC International on Wednesday, so same question has anyone worked with them before? or had a telephone interview with them? or going to have an interview with them?

Thanks

I will post the details of this interview after Wednesday!!

I'm glad I wrote down the questions on TSR as I now get more prepared for the next one!
Original post by dairynuts
Ok for anyone who may look at this thread in the future and wants to know what the telephone interview questions consisted of, here we go, obviously i can't remember the exact order and wording and there will be some I've forgotten. This will also be helpful for any interview regarding Activity Leader summer positions i guess.

Tell me what you know about our organisation/company?
Explain why you have this certain gap in employment? (only applicable if you have gaps obviously)
Are you full-time student? Are you employed?
Explain what work you've done with children/teenagers?
What ages were they?
Why do you want work as an Activity Leader?
Give me an example of when you worked in a team?
Can you be assertive with large groups of children/teens?
Are you comfortable working with Teens not much younger than yourself?
What would you do if you were walking back from a trip with a group of teens/children and it starts raining?
What would you do if you had 30 children but only one football for an activity?
What would you do you were told your group of children/teens would need to wait 1hr or more be to go on an excursion? e.g Because the mini-bus was late.

The job is quite physically demanding, Would you be able to handle the physical side of the job?

Hope this helps somebody out!

Thanks for these questions, there are very useful! Out of interest, what did you answer for the last few (in bold)?
I'm trying to prepare for possible interview for similar jobs over the summer.
Reply 4
I'm glad somebodies seen this! I remember when I applied to work at Boots, the forum on here helped me out alot with the interview! So just returning the favour.

After i posted that last message about been unsuccessful, I had an email about a job offer! So i obviously didn't screw up the phone interview as I thought.

Those 3 questions in bold are thrown in to test you, see whether you can think on your feet when it comes to difficult situations with kids and safety. Really there quite simple when you think about it, but obviously most people won't have prepared an answer beforehand, so your answers don't have to be fully conclusive, just the right idea.

The question about the rain is to do with health and safety, think back to when you went on school trips and what the teachers would say when it started to rain. The activity/excursion question tests your experience working with children, you'll know sometimes you have to improvise in an uncertain situation.

Good luck with your interview!
Reply 5
I'm not sure which companies your applying for similar work but now I've had a reply on this thread, I'll give you some information about the telephone interview I also had for ATC International for an Activity Leader position.

This wasn't as tough as the Stafford House interview, and was an 'informal chat' interview about the job role, basically they asked a few questions about Why i wanted to work as an Activity Leader? What qualities an Activity Leader should have? Why I would be good as an Activity Leader? If i had any First-Aid/Coaching certificates and Yes/No questions about any offences/child protection matters.

I havn't heard back yet from ATC, they said I'd hear back within 2/3 weeks. If successful i'd have 2 job offers to consider.
I'm not sure which companies your applying for similar work but now I've had a reply on this thread, I'll give you some information about the telephone interview I also had for ATC International for an Activity Leader position.

This wasn't as tough as the Stafford House interview, and was an 'informal chat' interview about the job role, basically they asked a few questions about Why i wanted to work as an Activity Leader? What qualities an Activity Leader should have? Why I would be good as an Activity Leader? If i had any First-Aid/Coaching certificates and Yes/No questions about any offences/child protection matters.

I havn't heard back yet from ATC, they said I'd hear back within 2/3 weeks. If successful i'd have 2 job offers to consider.

Thanks so much for all this info! I've applied to various summer camps, I'm particularly interested in 'SuperCamps', Ardmore, and some local ones at Fairthorne Manor. They sound like very similar roles to what you have been applying for.
How many summer schools did you apply for? One of my friends says there's loads of competition, and so I should apply for every one I can find, but I'm not sure with exams coming up I can really write loads of applications and do interviews etc. Would you say that someone with very little experience (I tried to stretch my helping in workshops at college/ work experience at a primary school/ Level 1 Sports Leaders award/ DoE out a bit, not sure it was particularly convincing though :s-smilie: ) has much of a chance of getting a job offer? I applied about 2/3 weeks ago, haven't heard back from any yet though...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Your friends right, theres alot of competition on ALL jobs at the moment, you can never expect to apply for a job and actually get it, no matter how much experience you have. I applied for 4/5 residential summer camps roles with large recruiters who have many camps, with total flexibility as to where i'd be living, and have had 2 interviews so far, one of them been successful. Aswell as beefing up you experience you can also make a strong point of why your applying for the job, what would it do for you in terms of your long-term career goals. If you have coaching qualifications then this sort after so you should have no problem getting a job, and sounds like you have good experience from Primary/DofE. The main thing that will swing it will be the interview and from this they can get a better impression from your personality, tone of voice + enthusiasm (for telephone interviews). The problem you might have is that its getting abit late in the application stage, most recruiters are making their final selections and holding interviews in May at the latest. Also Age is a factor, I don't know your age but I know ideally they'll recruit the oldest people who they believe can control a group of 17/18 year olds!. This is something i might struggle with and have no experience of!! I'm almost 23 though. I suspect you havn't been successful for the job you applied for 2/3 weeks ago, don't worry about it, just apply for more camps! copy and paste the information into the app forms as they're mostly all the same and your bound to get something! Good luck :smile:
Your friends right, theres alot of competition on ALL jobs at the moment, you can never expect to apply for a job and actually get it, no matter how much experience you have. I applied for 4/5 residential summer camps roles with large recruiters who have many camps, with total flexibility as to where i'd be living, and have had 2 interviews so far, one of them been successful. Aswell as beefing up you experience you can also make a strong point of why your applying for the job, what would it do for you in terms of your long-term career goals. If you have coaching qualifications then this sort after so you should have no problem getting a job, and sounds like you have good experience from Primary/DofE. The main thing that will swing it will be the interview and from this they can get a better impression from your personality, tone of voice + enthusiasm (for telephone interviews). The problem you might have is that its getting abit late in the application stage, most recruiters are making their final selections and holding interviews in May at the latest. Also Age is a factor, I don't know your age but I know ideally they'll recruit the oldest people who they believe can control a group of 17/18 year olds!. This is something i might struggle with and have no experience of!! I'm almost 23 though. I suspect you havn't been successful for the job you applied for 2/3 weeks ago, don't worry about it, just apply for more camps! copy and paste the information into the app forms as they're mostly all the same and your bound to get something! Good luck :smile:

I'll hopefully have completed a sailing coaching qualification by mid-July, but unfortunately it isn't really relevant to most of the jobs! I mentioned it anyway though, as I guess it shows some experience and there are some transferable skills such as leading groups of people and the accompanying first aid qualification.
You're right, I have left it a little late to be applying! I've been revising really hard for my final A level exams, so didn't get round to applying before (and only just really started planning what to do over the summer anyway).
I'm almost 18, so only just meet the minimum age requirement for most of the jobs, and am unable to be very flexible as I haven't passed my driving test yet and already have most of July booked up with a major sailing event and the completion of my sailing coaching course - which could also be a reason why I haven't got any job offers yet! From what I could tell the 'peak' season is July, which I can only do 1.5 weeks of :s-smilie:
I've applied for a few more summer schools today, having decided that I can probably get to some of the residential ones a bit further away by train/ bus. I haven't heard back from any of the ones I applied to before, so you're right I've probably been unsuccessful (I just wish they'd tell me though!).
Anyway, thanks for your advice - I'll keep applying! :smile:
Hi, how did stafford house get back to you to say you'd got the job? Was it via phone or email?

Thanks
Original post by katieknowles4
Hi, how did stafford house get back to you to say you'd got the job? Was it via phone or email?

Thanks

Hey,

I had an interview with Stafford House last week and they got back to me through email.

Hope that helps :smile:
Hi,

Last year I spent agesssss doing pretty much the same thing, applying to loads of different summer school jobs. I got one working for millfield school (Melhc) and it was brilliant, I'm going back this year (if all goes well haha) and I'm mega looking forward to it :biggrin: Obliviously I don't really know much about the other one's you've mentioned but I'd deffo recommend applying to melhc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending