The Student Room Group

How do I lay my work out propery in a mecnahics m1 exam? (self teaching)

hi there

I am self teaching alevel maths and I am not sure how to lay my work out properly to get the marks and how the papers are acutally marked.

I am sitting m1 tomorrow and would just like a few pointer on presentation of work and how much detail i need to show

Also, if I get the correct answer to (for instance) an 8 mark question, does this mean I will get awarded the full 8 marks regardless of my workings?

many thanks :smile:

EDIT: I typed that in a hurry, sorry for all the typing errors :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You need method marks as well.

For example I could give you the answer straight to rationalizing a surd.

But just the final answer may get me 1 mark. (if that)

Substantial Working must be shown :smile:
Read examiner reports for M1. and then check mark schemes to see what bits you get marks for. And getting the right answer doesn't always necessarily mean that you will get full marks because you can drop method marks. A-levels are a bitch.
Reply 3
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You need method marks as well.

For example I could give you the answer straight to rationalizing a surd.

But just the final answer may get me 1 mark. (if that)

Substantial Working must be shown :smile:

okay thanks :smile: so basically write down every step?
Reply 4
Original post by upthegunners

Especially with CCEA - they're picky!

Yes.

Llewellyn told me how for example, in a mock he did. All his answers were correct yet he lost 10 raw marks due to method.
Reply 6
Original post by CD315
Especially with CCEA - they're picky!

Yesss, insanely :frown:

In the mark scheme, do I have to write down every step like they have it? If I don't do I automatically loose a mark?
Reply 7
Yes.

Llewellyn told me how for example, in a mock he did. All his answers were correct yet he lost 10 raw marks due to method.

If you provide 3 ways of solving a solution, all yielding the same answer (i.e, the method is correct). Taking a banal example: x2x+12=0 x^2 - x + 12 = 0 can be solved by either the quadratic formula, completing the square, or from factorization into two parentheses, would that be okay?
Reply 8
Yes.

stop scaring me :redface: how do i prevent this
Original post by Zakee
If you provide 3 ways of solving a solution, all yielding the same answer (i.e, the method is correct). Taking a banal example: x2x+12=0 x^2 - x + 12 = 0 can be solved by either the quadratic formula, completing the square, or from factorization into two parentheses, would that be okay?

Yeah :smile:

I know Edexcel mark all given answers and select the best for M1!
Reply 10
Yesss, insanely :frown:

In the mark scheme, do I have to write down every step like they have it? If I don't do I automatically loose a mark?

You need to write down what you're doing. For example, R()F=maR(\rightarrow) F=ma etc.

My exam papers are like a conversation with the examiner half the time - I write down exactly what I'm doing so there's no room to lose marks.

Spoiler

Original post by CD315
You need to write down what you're doing. For example, R()F=maR(\rightarrow) F=ma etc.

My exam papers are like a conversation with the examiner half the time - I write down exactly what I'm doing so there's no room to lose marks.

Spoiler

I take it you're re applying next year?:eek:

I think, most my marks are lost on method.
Original post by CD315

Spoiler

wow, well done dude!

Are you doing FM on CCEA? What's it like?

Furthermore, where on earth can I find CCEA grade boundaries for past M1 papers so I have a rough Idea of the score I need to get for an A? Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
I take it you're re applying next year?:eek:

I think, most my marks are lost on method.

If I get 4A*s I am :smile:

wow, well done dude!

Are you doing FM on CCEA? What's it like?

Furthermore, where on earth can I find CCEA grade boundaries for past M1 papers so I have a rough Idea of the score I need to get for an A? Thanks :smile:

I am mate - it's okay; I did S1, FP1 and M3 for AS, with M3 being probably the hardest module so far.. This year I'm doing FP2, FP3 and M4. FP3's the easiest, with FP2 being tricky. M4's probably easier than M3!

In terms of grade boundaries, unfortunately CCEA don't publish any. They've only ever published June 2010's, which you can find here for maths and here for everything else.
Original post by CD315

I am mate - it's okay; I did S1, FP1 and M3 for AS, with M3 being probably the hardest module so far.. This year I'm doing FP2, FP3 and M4. FP3's the easiest, with FP2 being tricky. M4's probably easier than M3!

In terms of grade boundaries, unfortunately CCEA don't publish any. They've only ever published June 2010's, which you can find here for maths and here for everything else.

Yea I heard the further mechanics modules are meant to be ridiculously difficult..

I was contemplating doing FM AS (FP1, M2 and S2). Don't think I would have the brain power for FP2 and FP3 :lol: Good luck with that anyway :smile:

Do you have any other final tips for M1? You seem like the perfect person to ask. Thanks buddy :smile:
Original post by CD315

wow, 60/75 for an A in the May 2010 paper. I did it today and got 73/75 raw marks. The grade boundaries are substanially lower than I would have suspected
Reply 16
Yea I heard the further mechanics modules are meant to be ridiculously difficult..

I was contemplating doing FM AS (FP1, M2 and S2). Don't think I would have the brain power for FP2 and FP3 :lol: Good luck with that anyway :smile:

Do you have any other final tips for M1? You seem like the perfect person to ask. Thanks buddy :smile:

S2 shouldn't be too bad, although I can't comment as it's the only module I haven't done!

I can't emphasize enough the importance of writing absolutely everything down! Furthermore, make sure not to lose yourself in algebra, especially near the end when they throw letters at you instead of numbers (I feel like I'm being patronizing here, apologies if this is all too obvious..) and if you have the time (I mean, if you have at least half an hour/45 minutes to go when you finish) do the paper again, making sure there were no silly mistakes the first time round..

I'm trying to think of specific M1 tips but it's been a while since I did it :lol: I think the ladders questions were the hardest - just remember your normal reactions at hinges and walls etc for those. I don't think I can give much more than DJ did in the other thread :smile:

wow, 60/75 for an A in the May 2010 paper. I did it today and got 73/75 raw marks. The grade boundaries are substanially lower than I would have suspected

The boundaries will fluctuate a lot - depends how everyone else does!
Original post by CD315
S2 shouldn't be too bad, although I can't comment as it's the only module I haven't done!

I can't emphasize enough the importance of writing absolutely everything down! Furthermore, make sure not to lose yourself in algebra, especially near the end when they throw letters at you instead of numbers (I feel like I'm being patronizing here, apologies if this is all too obvious..) and if you have the time (I mean, if you have at least half an hour/45 minutes to go when you finish) do the paper again, making sure there were no silly mistakes the first time round..

I'm trying to think of specific M1 tips but it's been a while since I did it :lol: I think the ladders questions were the hardest - just remember your normal reactions at hinges and walls etc for those. I don't think I can give much more than DJ did in the other thread :smile:

The boundaries will fluctuate a lot - depends how everyone else does!

Thanks for that :smile: Great help! I am pretty confident on the whole. However, my confidence was slighty damaged today when I did the Jnauary 2010 paper. By far the hardest paper in my opinion.

My biggest concern is losing method marks. I will just have to do as you say and write everything down. :redface:

I agree. I think the most difficult part of M1 is nailing the diagrams. I always find it hard to lable them 100% correct. Do you happen to have any tips for labling ladder question? Is there any set method of doing it? (I am self teaching so it can be hard at times :colondollar:)

thanks for your time and help :biggrin:
Reply 18

I agree. I think the most difficult part of M1 is nailing the diagrams. I always find it hard to lable them 100% correct. Do you happen to have any tips for labling ladder question? Is there any set method of doing it? (I am self teaching so it can be hard at times :colondollar:)

Emm - check for friction; check whether friction is just general (i.e. just in equilibrium, or whether it is in equilibrium, in which case it's maximum (Fr = uN)). Check for normal reactions - any form of contact whatsoever gets a normal reaction which is perpendicular to the surface of contact. Make sure to include weight, and any angles you know/need to know. Also in the ladder questions, I think you need to consider both vertical and horizontal components of a normal reaction if the latter's hinged, right? In that case, don't forget that..
Original post by CD315
Emm - check for friction; check whether friction is just general (i.e. just in equilibrium, or whether it is in equilibrium, in which case it's maximum (Fr = uN)). Check for normal reactions - any form of contact whatsoever gets a normal reaction which is perpendicular to the surface of contact. Make sure to include weight, and any angles you know/need to know. Also in the ladder questions, I think you need to consider both vertical and horizontal components of a normal reaction if the latter's hinged, right? In that case, don't forget that..

That's brilliant, thanks :smile:

I guess it's down to luck now.. :lol:

Where abouts in NI are you from then?:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest